Ungraded
Columbia, SC
Before care: Yes

Montessori Early Learning Center 2

Posted October 23, 2014
Buyer beware. First off, if your child is sanguine or choleric, then look elsewhere. The school is only accepting of children that fit its mold (compliant, introverted, cautious, fearful of authority). The school as rigid, stale, out-dated, and in dire need of reevaluating Montessori s intentions and goals, who was the most accepting, loving, and open-hearted instructor to children from all walks of life. #1. The directress: You will notice that she s paranoid, controlling, dictatorial, and belittling. #2. Nepotism: The directress s husband is the music teacher, sister is a teacher, son is a teacher, and nieces are the administrative assistant and pseudo-accountant. I thought it was strange, although her family members seemed normal and nice. #3. The holding class : Firstly, the directress (and school policies) are very upfront about this holding class, which is essentially a room whereby the school evaluates if the child is Montessori material or not.

Montessori Early Learning Center 2

Posted October 23, 2014
(cont.) Secondly, the children must be able to do a series of items on a checklist before moving to a real Montessori environment. While observing the holding class one day, I overheard the teacher say, You can t count, so you can t do that lesson [and] you can t do that lesson because it requires a teacher to do it with you. Really? Many teachers from other reputable Montessori schools (both in the USA and abroad) have been appalled by my family s experience, especially regarding the holding room. #4. A lot of television/movies. A LOT. Because my issues were with the school and not Montessori, I m happy to report that two weeks after this degrading experience, my child was placed in another school and flourished (with a teacher that is AMI certified)! A little love and acceptance goes a long way. The teacher regularly communicates and has reported that my child is a joy who listens well and is smart, curious, and a leader. Not only is my child now almost a completely different kid, but my child s academics have taken flight! There's no more crying and fake stomach aches in the morning. On the contrary, he's raring and ready to go to school each day!

Posted August 26, 2014
My daughter left this school last week to begin Kindergarten in public school. My daughter spent two years at MELC, and we could not be more pleased with the results and with the staff. Our daughter is a year early going to kindergarten, but she already reads and has "regular" conversations (no toddler talk). She counts out loud and does basic addition and subtraction. She sings and dances thru our house, mimicking and practicing the work done at MELC. Our home is filled with crafts that were all done at MELC. The staff at MELC are all great, and I believe they truly care about us. I strongly recommend MELC to anyone who wants their child to be at a safe place where the child can learn academically and learn to interact with other children and adults.

Posted July 20, 2014
I am the owner and facilitator of Rhythmic Memory LLC, in which I bring group drumming sessions for health & wellness, self-expression, and team-building to schools, churches, seniors, support groups, and other venues. The Montessori Early Learning Center and School of the Arts recently had me bring this opportunity to their students. I was immediately struck by the polite and respectful behavior of the students as they entered the building -which also continued throughout our hour together. I was also impressed by their confidence, as they readily jumped into starting our group out with their own beat for us to join them in when I asked for volunteers. This eagerness was also present when I asked for volunteers - of all ages - to act as the facilitator of our drum circle from the center of the circle with cues they had learned during our session. It was obvious their learning was equipping them with such important life skills as respect for self and others, self-esteem, and an eagerness to learn. They were a JOY to work and play with, and I am looking forward to returning for another session with them!

Posted June 19, 2014
The Montessori experience has been great for our daughter and I seriously doubt that she would have done as well in a traditional school setting. We would whole-heartedly recommend the Montessori Early Learning Center to anyone and sing their praises. They have an outstanding program and a great staff that not only care about the education of the children, but also their overall well-being.

Posted June 02, 2014
My daughter attended MELC from 2 -8 years old. It was an amazing experience! Taylor learned a lot at a very young age. I am forever grateful to the MELC staff for the time and energy they put in to the educational growth and social maturity of my daughter Taylor. I grew as well. Taylor just completed her first year at Crayton Middle School! Her grades were exemplary! She is a year younger than her peers. She has been chosen to go to Africa next year with the School District. She demonstrates the team spirit that she learned at MELC. The one word I can use to describe MELC is Life Changing ! Trust the process, it works!!!!

Posted May 16, 2014
I'm so thankful we decided to put granddaughter at this Montessori School for many reasons. Kaiya just turned 4 and is in her 9th reading book. She's doing math, kiddie music,strategy class, just to name a few things . She even wants to do homework on the weekends.This method of learning is amazing. The teachers are so patient and loving with each child which is important. Thank you for all you do.

Posted April 29, 2014
Montessori Early Learning Center has provided both of our children with an amazing educational foundation. We feel confident that their curiosity and love of learning will continue throughout their lifetime. Our children have felt loved, respected and empowered in this environment. And my husband and I know they have been safe and nurtured, while being challenged to do their very best. We could not have designed a more perfect educational experience for them.

Posted March 14, 2013
So glad I found this school! My Daughter just turned 4 and has been attending since she was 2 1/2. She loves learning the Montessori way. Her teachers and staff are warm and caring. She is so independent, respectful, and confident thanks to the way they inspire the children to learn. My daughter is reading and doing addition and subtraction. She is passionate about learning. She also loves the playground and the friends she has made there to the point if we try to pick her up early in the summer she does not want to leave because she is having so much fun. I have nothing but positives to say about this school, I wish I could have attended this school.

Posted January 18, 2013
A wonderful school with wonderful staff & administration. I think that being in business since 1976 speaks volumes in itself.

Montessori Early Learning Center