No rating

Hammond School

Private | PK-12 | 66 students

Living in Columbia

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $123,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $790.

Posted July 23, 2012

This is our third year as a Hammond family and I couldn't be more pleased with my daughter's progress. She is in the third grade and I have found the administrators to be supportive and the teachers to be dedicated and willing to challenge my child academically. I agree that the school is ver expensive and may not be for everyone, but as a person of color I appreciate that the school has a strong tradition to reaching out to other communities and cultures. As long as my child continues to thrive at Hammond (and we can afford it) we will be a Hammond family.

Posted May 17, 2012

Hammond school has great potential with some great teachers, however, the administration has degraded the entire academic system....allowing the "select" few get favors, do overs, and special privileges just because of who their parents are or how much money they donate. My child was in the lower school and it gets totally out of control by the time they get to the upper school. I guess if you want to buy your child good grades without having them work for it...this is the school for you. Otherwise, you would do just as well at Dreher or AC Flora with actual academic standards and teachers who challenge students.

Posted May 18, 2011

After three years we are taking our children out of Hammond. The school has great facilities, teachers and great parents but management is just shallow. The air amongst a vast majority of the students is they can just breath the air at Hammond and become successful. Hard work is a distant thought at best. For the amount of money Hammond charges, nobody should walk away with the total disapproval we have but, we are.

Posted May 13, 2011

Unfortunately, Hammond is not what it once was. The current administration(at every level) has endorsed a watered down curriculum and is admitting children who who are weak students and behavior problems. Let the buyer beware! Our children will be leaving after this year. Why pay premium prices for what you can get for free in the public schools?

Posted April 9, 2011

Hammond was instrumental part of my education. I attended 5 years and graduated in class of 1998. I found the math program (particularly Mr. Austin) and physics program (Mrs. Peterson) to be very impressive. My only recommendation would be more focus on college prep earlier. Junior & Senior year there was a lot of college focus (resume, GPA, etc.) but it needs to start Freshman year to be more competitive. Nonetheless, I was able to get in to a top 10 college. Minus 1 star because technology in the school was weak (at the time) and because of above comments on college prep.

Posted March 1, 2011

If you are serious about education, Hammond is the school for you. From academics to athletics to the arts, Hammond excels.

Posted July 24, 2010

Mr Angel has no iintegrity. He makes deceisions with out hearing both sides of the story. He always take the easy way out and this makes him a poor headmaster

Posted May 15, 2010

Used to be a great school. The current administrators are not good and are taking the school in the wrong direction.

Posted May 12, 2010

This is our fourth year attending Hammond School, and I couldn't be more pleased. I have not felt the dissatisfaction that the other parent wrote about regarding the Lower School. I have found the Head of the LS to be available when I need her, prompt to respond to my communications, and have consistently had the teachers go the extra mile to educate my children, both intellectually and academically. I feel we are getting a very well rounded education

Posted May 10, 2010

We started our child in Kindergarten and were happy with the lower school. He excelled acedemically. The Middle School was a different story. Bullying was a major problem and the Middle School Head was incapable of dealing with it. There were countless incidents involving physical force, sexually inappropriate gesters and racial slurs. Also, Hammond has always been a step behind other schools technologically; Edline, Smartboards, even email. Our child made the decision to move to another private school. We feel as though we have stepped out of old fashion teaching methods and stepped into the 21st century.

Posted September 7, 2009

Hammond School has always been a school of academic excellence. It is known for challenging students and preparing them for college. Unfortunately, the Hammond philosophy has apparently changed. In the last four years the leadership at all levels; headmaster, upper, middle and lower schools has changed. As a result, the solid curriculum that has been the foundation of this school's excellence has also changed. The lower school principal's leadership and communication skills are poor. There is no respect for parental input and there appears to be very little for the teachers. Both the teachers and parents are frustrated with the lack of communication and the 'daily' changes of lower school. With every change made, a new set of problems has arisen. The Board is apparently more concerned with the 'bottom line' than they are with the problems at hand.

Posted September 3, 2009

We have been at Hammond for the last five years. We have been extremely happy with the lower school until recently. The new lower school principal lacks in good communication with the parents and has changed things dramatically. The lower school is in a downhill spiral and needs new leadership. Why we are attempting to change and fix things that have worked so well in the past I have no idea.

Posted August 14, 2009

We have attended Hammond School for the last five years. It has definitely seen better days. We are extremely disappointed in the lack of communication between the new lower school principal and the parents. The lower school used to be the flagship of this school and it is now in turmoil and struggling. We hope it will turn around, but it has a long way to go! We would like to see the 'Hammond Family' reunited, but it is doubtful it will under the current leadership.

Posted May 8, 2009

Excellent facillities, environment and academics. I have sent my children to Hammond since 1997 and loved every year!

Posted January 30, 2007

Hammond is an excellent school with top quality facilities and educators. The curiculum is challenging and students are motivated to perform at their top ability. The Hammond community is a close one and parental involvement is encouraged. I am very happy that we chose Hammond over other schools in the area.

Posted February 24, 2006

Hammond School has an excellent academic program with extremely high quality instruction. Both the lower school principal and the high school principal are visionaries who understand how to listen to children and parents, as well as motivate students to strive to be their best. I have experience with several schools and I rank Hammond at the top due to the exemplary teachers and administrators.

Posted February 19, 2006

Hammond is by far the best school I have ever sent my children to. Being a military family it is important to find a school that will meet the needs of every child enrolled. The L.S. head is not only a great leader for the teachers, but also understands the needs of the children academically and socially. The teachers are phenominal. They attend to every need the children have. They allow the children to proceed at their own rate while encouraging them to strive to be the very best. More advanced students are not held back by teachers who teach to the middle of the class. They are encouraged to challange themselves individually and are praised when they succeed. The variety of after school and summer programs are the best around. Since the teachers appropriately challange the students, there isn't much concern for discipline issues. Hammond's a top notch school.

Posted August 26, 2003

This school is wonderful. They provide children with a nurturing environment along with an outstanding curriculum.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 1%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• NAEYC
  • NAIS

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

854 Galway Lane