Sandlapper Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted June 14, 2014

This school is horrible! The principal is an incompetent woman who thinks she is above everyone else. In reality, she knows little or nothing about education. The assistant principals are the same, especially the arrogant old grey-haired man. Parents are kept out of the school building at any cost because they do not want to be bothered. The administration is running this school as a private school, rather than a public school funded by taxpayers' money.

Posted April 3, 2014

This is school is not a good school. As one parent stated they communicate everything that your child does wrong but never nothing good about your child. the teachers are not good and they do not help to prepare children for the future. The adminstration staff is horrible and the principal Linda Hall is a joke. She doesn't see fault in her staff and she is more concern about how you are parenting your child than educating them. She is not effective, she doesn't care about the needs of the children and she is very bias. My child has been at this school for three years and it has been a horrible experience and therefore he will be moving to a better school. Avoid this school at all cost. You will spare yourself the frustration of dealing with the foolishness of this school

Posted February 11, 2013

I am very pleased with the education that is provided for my child and what he is learning. However the parent involvement is not good at all. I understand that they want good security but I feel that they need to allow measures for the parent to see what their child is experiencing each day and see their learning environment. I like to be involved in his learning and as a parent I have that right. I know Linda Hall from when she worked at Bridgecreek and and I felt her techniques were not the best. Overall your education system is excellent but you shoul dreally address parent involvement.

Posted August 23, 2012

I had two children at Sandlapper last year. I am pretty firm in my belief that it was a complete waste of a year. The school holds the parents completely responsible for their childs actions. They communicate quite effectively everything that your child does wrong, but very little of what your child does right. Sandlapper also refuses to take any responsibility for their lack of a challenging curriculum, or the way they administer their school. One of my children was threatened last year on a school website. In my meeting with their principal and their vice-principal they were actually more concerned with my parenting skills then they were about what happened. The excuses they made for the whole incident were many, but the solutions suggested were few. Yes, Principal Hall, you know who this is! I do completely agree that a parent is ultimately responsible for their childs education, and that is why we left that school as fast as we could. If you are looking for a place to place your children, especially military families, take a look elsewhere!

Posted September 25, 2011

I am a parent of a 5th grader at Sandlapper, just as the other parents stated, they lock the parents out of the educational process all together. The front desk staff act as if any parent has no business coming up to the school to bother them while they work. I have never seen a school that doesn't encourage parental involvement. When we asked about observing our child in class we were told, that isn't needed we'll let you know if something is wrong. If you are planning on moving to Columbia, do not live in the area of this school. It is not parent friendly at all if you are involved with your child's education, they only want you to drop your child off and pick them up in that order. Take you child to Langford or Roundtop Elementary. DO NOT TAKE YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL. From the principal on down they all are only educators NOT TEACHERS, there is a difference. The staff there is only there to get a check. If you are an involved parent you will understand. If you only drop your child off and pick them up, this is over your head.

Posted February 6, 2011

I am parent of a 2nd grader at this school. I am sorry to say that this is the only and 1st school which locked me out of my childs education, and threw away the key. On a scale of 0-10 with 10 being the highest, then this school scored a flat zero for parental involvement. The education is fit; however, parental involvement is not encourage in this school. I need a 100% parental involvement!

Posted April 15, 2010

I moved to Columbia in January of 2010 and my son started school a week after us arriving here. I intentionally moved into the school district so my son could attend this school after much research prior to my move from the west coast. I have to say I am very pleased with the staff/school and my son has adapted very well. They have saftey measures in place for a reason and I'm impressed. I would be worried about anyone being able to walk into a school and come and go as they please. Thank you Sandlapper!

Posted February 18, 2009

When moving to South Carolina I was concerned about the quality of education my daughters would receive. I carefully chose this elementary and have been pleased with the quality of education and unique opportunities in art and technology that my daugher has enjoyed. The staff is professional and caring. My daughter felt at home in a matter of days. In regards to the previously stated concerns on their security policies, unfortunately in today's climate of rising violence Richland 2 has chosen to take the safety of our children as a priority over the convience of parents. I never have to worry about the safety of my daugher while she is in their care and I appreciate the extra time and effort this requires the school to undertake.

Posted February 13, 2009

I am writing as a parent of 2 children at Sandlapper, and I can honestly say that this is a fine elementary school, and the parents that have written previously, have NO clue as to what really goes on in this school. The rules and expectations of Sandlapper are only in the best interest of every child at the school. There should not be any reason for a parent to have to come see their child during the learning day unless their is an emergency. Parents need to get a clue as to how an elementary school works! You can't always have what you want all the time, so bad-mouthing is a way to cope! Get a life parents and realize what a fine school your child is in, with an impecable faculty, staff and administration! Proud to be both parent and teacher!

Posted February 2, 2009

Well, I am a parent with children that attend this school. And I can honestly say this school has more difficult to deal with rules and teachers than i have ever encountered at any public school. I moved to this district and bought a house thinking I was getting my children the best education public school can offer in South Carolina. I was definitely wrong and I wish i had moved somewhere elese it's bad when the parent hates even going to the school. it's not where you live that makes a difference it's the people.

Posted December 4, 2008

The school is good. However, just as the other parent stated. You can not visit your child when you want to. They say safety, however, it seems like the school is set to keep the parent out of their child's educational process. As a parent, that is disturbing. However the education that my children are receiving is head and shoulders above most schools I have seen.

Posted August 12, 2008

This is a good school compared to some of the other schools in Columbia. The office staff is great and approachable. It is great that they have a Spanish program. We moved to GA in the middle of the school year and the school my child attends now does not have this program. My only complaint about Sandlapper would be that the homework load for Kindergartner's is a little excessive.

Posted March 25, 2008

This school is wonderful. My daughter is in Mrs. Painters class and loves school and I am dreading our move to Hawaii only because she will have to leave such a great school for one that is not so good. They have PE, morning track time, Computer, art and spanish. Mrs Painter makes learning fun for my daughter she comes home everyday happy with what she had done excited to go back the next day. The office staff is always helpful and smiling. The school is clean and safe. I never worry that someone could come and pick up my daughter by mistake. The teachers always return you phone calls when you contact them. I will miss Sandlapper when we are gone. I would recommend to anyone moving down to Columbia to visit this school and consider it for there childrens education.

Posted December 7, 2007

my child atends this school and I love it they have wonderful itec classes witch each student gets their own computer then the have single gender and mixed gender classes morning track and excercises it's a great school for a child that is specail!

Posted October 10, 2007

I absolutely love this school. My son started there when it opened last year in first grade. He attended only for one month this year and I had a kindergarten start there this year. We moved to NC and had to leave but the biggest regret is having to leave Sandlapper Elementary. That staff is awesome, the parents are awesome and the cirriculum is awesome. I have no complaints about the school. Ms. Massa and Mrs. Painter are 2 of the best teacher at that school. You have other great like Mrs. Pouncey and Mrs. Braeswell. The principal is allows smiling and helpful. The school is neat, clean and secure. The students for the most part are well manner and behaved and you have diversity at the school. All kinds of culture blended together to make one great elementary school. Great School!

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 80% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 61% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 75% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 South Carolina used the Palmetto Assessment of State Standards (PASS) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in Writing, English/Language Arts, Math, Social Studies and Science. The PASS is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of South Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

Writing

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 72% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 70% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 74% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students87%

Not disabled77%
Proficient in English72%
Non-migrant72%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the South Carolina Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students83%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 48%N/A57%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1001 Longtown Rd