Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

South Carolina Connections Academy 1

Posted July 26, 2016
As a student of Connections Academy for the last 5 years, I can easily say that I my feelings for this school are strictly hateful. For my parents, this school is convenient considering the fact that they can just leave me home all day and don't have to handle the incredibly difficult task of driving me to the school that is 5 minutes away from my house. For me, this school has deprived me of many important things that a teenager is supposed to experience, for example: a teacher that takes less than 2 weeks, at the least, to reply to an important question. That's another dreadful thing about this school. To the teachers, I am an inconvenience. They don't care about their students. Especially their older students. Yes, I understand that older students are supposed to handle themselves better than elementary students, but that does not mean that we should be ignored and forgotten. That does not excuse the fact that my teachers decline my call or ,when they do rarely answer, say something along the lines of "let me call you back in 5 minutes" and then proceed to email me a month later. This is not okay behavior for a teacher. Another thing, there is a mandatory class in this school called 'Skills for Success'. This class involves a website that you enter that will make you answer a few questions, that part is fine. It's school, I expect this. What is not fine is the fact that this program does not work. When I finish the test, it does not go through and then gives me an F for incompletion. This ends up going onto my grades and brings me-easily- down to a C. These are only a few of the problems with connections academy. So just please be aware of this before enrolling you child into this school and then refusing to let them out for 5 years, just because it's convenient for you.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 24, 2016
My son and I are grateful for our homeroom teacher Mr. Scott Harmon. He is a great listener who is very helpful and courteous. These qualities attribute to his effectiveness as a great homeroom teacher. Throughout the school year, he has served as an awesome guide, making sure my son was adjusting to his classes and encouraging him to continue to make good grades while focusing on his future goals. Mr. Harmon also made sure my son was enrolled in proper classes according to his desire to attend a four year college after high school. His support, phone calls, encouraging words, and keen eye and ear for details has not only contributed to a successful school year, but a successful future for my son.

South Carolina Connections Academy 4

Posted May 24, 2016
All of the staff members I have spoken to have been very helpful. South Carolina Connections Academy staff really seem to care about success and individual growth for students.

South Carolina Connections Academy 1

Posted April 12, 2016
This is our 7th year with SCCA .Our oldest child has graduated, and our youngest graduates this year. The first six years went by rather smoothly; however, we’ve encountered too many difficulties this school year. The homeroom teacher is looking for ways to mark students truant. One contact every two weeks is required. Contact requirements include contact with a teacher by phone call or live lesson; webmails don’t count. Not all classes have live lessons. Furthermore, live lessons are useless if your child is ahead in daily lessons. Failure to meet this requirement will result in truancy. 9-12th graders are required to turn in 6 assignments per day aka hours. One hour per assignment; regardless if it’s an essay or 5 page research paper. If your child falls behind in school, your child will be marked as truant. It doesn’t matter if your child was working on school work. We personally experienced this. The homeroom teacher only asked if my child was sick. She would not listen to me. If the teacher had not taken over a week to reply, my daughter could have turned her essays in. She would have never been marked truant. This teacher teaches several grades and has too many students to respond according to the school policy which states that they have 1 business day to respond to webmails and 5 business days to grade work. However, it takes more than a week for this teacher to reply to your webmail and more than 3 weeks for her to grade your work. Failure to mark attendance hours may result in truancy. State testing is required. Failure to show results in being withdrawn from the school. At the last state testing, teachers were withdrawing students without contracting the students. Books are not available in all core classes. My child was accused of cheating. The teacher did not contact my husband nor I. “Check My Work” is required and the teacher still had no proof. She said she thought my daughter cheated, but couldn’t prove it. As a result, my daughter now had an “academic dishonesty” on her school record. Other teachers and one of the assistant principals started treating my daughter differently and some were quite rude. Books are not available in all core classes. Online textbooks are available yet very difficult to navigate. SCCA doesn’t have AP, SAT, nor ACT test sites available. You will have to work with your local school district to find a test site.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted April 12, 2016
There's a special person, Ms. O'Neil, in the counseling dept. who answers the phone quite often. When one of the counselors never took the time to return my webmails and texts, this person took the time to take care of my needs. Thank you.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted April 12, 2016
The Teacher of the Year is one of the few teachers that are outstanding. Like brick and mortar schools, you have your good and bad teachers. Although, we only encountered a few good teachers.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted April 12, 2016
SCCA students cover all material in the textbooks. Local schools cover half of the material in the textbooks. Working on the weekends, during Christmas break, Spring break, and other holidays is normal just to stay caught up.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted April 12, 2016
This school makes them persistent and determined to run away from this school. Seriously, my answer is no.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted April 12, 2016
This school cares more about getting the funding from your child attending than your chid's well-being.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted April 12, 2016
My daughter has heard a teacher in a live lesson say how the teacher favors students over other students, esp. those who attend live lessons. While the teachers are being quite honest, this is not a fair policy.

220 Stoneridge Drive, Columbia, SC  29210
Last modified South Carolina Connections Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.