Posted October 28, 2014
For years we were a homeschooling family, and now with SCCA, we're a family that schools at home. What that means is that I'm relieved of the responsibility of determining & purchasing the curriculum & preparing the lessons for my middle & high school students. It's wonderful to oversee now and have them accountable to their teachers - teachers we really love and who go out of their way to be accessible for anything that may come up. The curriculum is challenging but not overwhelming. The portfolio projects are in-depth without being too burdensome to complete. The Live Lesson time is invaluable and pulls it all together. We enjoy the optional activities offered & the college visits have been great. The flexibility allows us to continue volunteer activities and hobbies. I like that they are home where they can really focus on school without a lot of the distractions of the brick and mortar classroom. We can discuss subjects/topics/questions as they come up and take a few minutes to do further research right then, while it's fresh, As a family used to doing things our own way and not caring much for the traditional school model, this is a 'best of both worlds' approach for us.

South Carolina Connections Academy 4

Posted October 14, 2014
We chose CA for our daughter so we could be more involved in her learning. As a learning coach, I LOVE the flexibility! We can do our daily lessons, and even get ahead by doing the ones scheduled for the next day. Or if she is having a "bad day" we complete her daily classes the following day..As long as it is complete within the week the options are there for our daughter. We also love knowing that she is safe at home away with us learning and not dealing some of the other things we personally about in the bricks and mortar building in her school district. This is new to us this year and we are loving Connections Academy!

Posted June 22, 2014
This is our 5th year with South Carolina Connections Academy. My daughter was in the 6th grade when we started SC Connections Academy. At first, we did not utilize the teachers and quickly became overwhelmed. I finally called our math teacher almost in tears. She explained that my job was Learning Coach and she was the teacher. Now we automatically call when we do not understand something or have a problem. Our teachers are always telling the students if they do not understand any part of the lesson, stop what they are doing and call or email them. Even if that means letting the lesson go overdue one day. If you feel your student is not challenged - you can talk with the school and teacher. If you feel your student is overwhelmed - you can talk with the school and teachers. I have seen students who have be bumped a bit and some that have been bumped down (still in the same grade - just a change level). The main thing is communication. All our teachers at South Carolina Connections Academy have been wonderful.

Posted September 26, 2013
The "Best" and my child and i are so grateful. My daughter grades are A's and B's from D's and F's. My child overall traditional brick and mortar high school grade for 2013 received an "F".

South Carolina Connections Academy 2

Posted September 20, 2013
We have been with this school for about 4 years now. And it just hasn't worked for us. The teachers are 50/50. The ones that are great, are amazing. Hands down best in the state. The other 50 percent of the bad teachers...are awful. As in unbearable to work with. Some of them try to teach at HS levels and expectations for new coming Middle Schoolers. In Elm. it was a lot better in regards to that. There is not a lot of instructions. I was hoping there would be more, esp if your student is ahead. Then they suffer on live lessons. They have removed physical books out of some core subjects this year without even telling us in advance. And the principals aren't helpful with problems. They are also hard to reach. We are very disappointed and hopefully getting out of here by the end of this year if not sooner. Sad because this school had a lot of potential.

Posted August 30, 2013
Enrolling my daughter to Connections Academy is the best decision I have made as a parent. This school is able to provide more one-on-one time between the student and teacher. My daughter has a much closer relationship with her teachers at Connections compared to that of our local public school. The schedule is very flexible which leaves time for family, social activities, and school field trips. My daughter actually has more time for socialization since she is not overloaded with homework. Students are free to work on their school assignments day, night, or weekends. This is truly the perfect situation for my family.

South Carolina Connections Academy 4

Posted August 30, 2013
So far its great. We are new to the school and I love the fact that my student can be on top of her grades instead of waiting on a interim report or report card. The freedom to have a life not planed around the school year. LOVE IT!!! Saving us Money and Time!!

South Carolina Connections Academy 3

Posted August 29, 2013
While this school is a great alternative, it does not work for all students. Students who have low motivation and need direct support from teachers... will struggle. We did it for two years, and for my child, it was very frustrating. Students with special needs all need consistency. We did not experience that.

Posted August 28, 2013
SC Connections Academy offers a safe learning experience for children. The curriculum was more advanced than the public schools and I rest easy knowing my children are safe in our home. They offer field trips and other socialization activities for the kids too.

Posted August 28, 2013
We have been with SCCA since the very beginning. Our experience has been more than incredible. The teachers and staff are always there when we need them. The curriculum is fantastic!! It is such a blessing to be a part of my child's education without the worries of whether or not she is meeting the state requirements. Our teachers take the worry away. I wish all households could have SCCA as an option.

South Carolina Connections Academy
220 Stoneridge Drive, Columbia, SC  29210
Last modified South Carolina Connections Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Carolina Connections Academy Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top