Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

My daughter graduated from SC Connections academy in 2016. She attended for 3 years in order to dance with a professional ballet company in the morning and early afternoons. Overall, this was a great school. Most of the teachers were very quick to respond to emails and to grade work. She was unable to attend live lessons but the teachers would post them for her to view later. The contact requirement was easily handled by her calling one of her teachers every couple of weeks. She was never marked truant for getting behind in her work. The teachers were very understanding of her schedule and they knew she would catch up over Christmas break etc. She was always proactive in emailing her teachers to let them know when she had a particularly busy week such as the week of Nutcracker performances and they were always understanding and helpful. If you get too far behind, you will get a temporary zero for assignments, but they will change the grade as soon as you turn it in. She took several AP courses. The first year we had to find a local brick and mortar school to take the test but there was no problem with that. Last year, she took the test at the Connections Academy headquarters, so they did provide the space for testing. The only negatives were that there were a few teachers who were slack about holding live lessons, grading assignments and returning emails but I would say that was true of only 2 or 3 teachers out of the approximately 20 she had. She also experienced a few times when the teacher left in the middle of the course and had to be replaced. However, my children who went to traditional school experienced the same sort of problems. Any school will have its share of less effective teachers so I don't think this is unique to Connections Academy. She received great scholarships to college so I feel she was very well prepared by Connections Academy.

As a student of Connections Academy for the last 5 years, I can easily say that I my feelings for this school are strictly hateful. For my parents, this school is convenient considering the fact that they can just leave me home all day and don't have to handle the incredibly difficult task of driving me to the school that is 5 minutes away from my house. For me, this school has deprived me of many important things that a teenager is supposed to experience, for example: a teacher that takes less than 2 weeks, at the least, to reply to an important question. That's another dreadful thing about this school. To the teachers, I am an inconvenience. They don't care about their students. Especially their older students. Yes, I understand that older students are supposed to handle themselves better than elementary students, but that does not mean that we should be ignored and forgotten. That does not excuse the fact that my teachers decline my call or ,when they do rarely answer, say something along the lines of "let me call you back in 5 minutes" and then proceed to email me a month later. This is not okay behavior for a teacher. Another thing, there is a mandatory class in this school called 'Skills for Success'. This class involves a website that you enter that will make you answer a few questions, that part is fine. It's school, I expect this. What is not fine is the fact that this program does not work. When I finish the test, it does not go through and then gives me an F for incompletion. This ends up going onto my grades and brings me-easily- down to a C. These are only a few of the problems with connections academy. So just please be aware of this before enrolling you child into this school and then refusing to let them out for 5 years, just because it's convenient for you.

All of the staff members I have spoken to have been very helpful. South Carolina Connections Academy staff really seem to care about success and individual growth for students.

This is our 7th year with SCCA .Our oldest child has graduated, and our youngest graduates this year. The first six years went by rather smoothly; however, we’ve encountered too many difficulties this school year. The homeroom teacher is looking for ways to mark students truant. One contact every two weeks is required. Contact requirements include contact with a teacher by phone call or live lesson; webmails don’t count. Not all classes have live lessons. Furthermore, live lessons are useless if your child is ahead in daily lessons. Failure to meet this requirement will result in truancy. 9-12th graders are required to turn in 6 assignments per day aka hours. One hour per assignment; regardless if it’s an essay or 5 page research paper. If your child falls behind in school, your child will be marked as truant. It doesn’t matter if your child was working on school work. We personally experienced this. The homeroom teacher only asked if my child was sick. She would not listen to me. If the teacher had not taken over a week to reply, my daughter could have turned her essays in. She would have never been marked truant. This teacher teaches several grades and has too many students to respond according to the school policy which states that they have 1 business day to respond to webmails and 5 business days to grade work. However, it takes more than a week for this teacher to reply to your webmail and more than 3 weeks for her to grade your work. Failure to mark attendance hours may result in truancy. State testing is required. Failure to show results in being withdrawn from the school. At the last state testing, teachers were withdrawing students without contracting the students. Books are not available in all core classes. My child was accused of cheating. The teacher did not contact my husband nor I. “Check My Work” is required and the teacher still had no proof. She said she thought my daughter cheated, but couldn’t prove it. As a result, my daughter now had an “academic dishonesty” on her school record. Other teachers and one of the assistant principals started treating my daughter differently and some were quite rude. Books are not available in all core classes. Online textbooks are available yet very difficult to navigate. SCCA doesn’t have AP, SAT, nor ACT test sites available. You will have to work with your local school district to find a test site.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

The Teacher of the Year is one of the few teachers that are outstanding. Like brick and mortar schools, you have your good and bad teachers. Although, we only encountered a few good teachers.

Amount of homework: Disagree

SCCA students cover all material in the textbooks. Local schools cover half of the material in the textbooks. Working on the weekends, during Christmas break, Spring break, and other holidays is normal just to stay caught up.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

My daughter has heard a teacher in a live lesson say how the teacher favors students over other students, esp. those who attend live lessons. While the teachers are being quite honest, this is not a fair policy.

We were very happy to find that the enrollment process took just a few short weeks and within days of schooling beginning we were getting a call to set up our IEP intake meeting. Very impressed with how quickly things were handled administratively to ensure a successful school year for our high school child. Our Son is a junior enrolled in AP Biology and all Honors classes, we were very impressed by the courses offered. The quality of education is by far more than what we received at our local B&M last semester.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

I like the teachers. I just wish there was more one on one interaction. More getting to know the teachers and the teachers getting to my children.

I like the curriculum, the flexibility, feeling more involved in my children's school work and opportunity for many field trips.

Last modified South Carolina Connections Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.