Public charter
Columbia, SC

Posted June 17, 2014
We love this school! We have tried regular public school, charter school and a different online school but SCCAL seems to fit our life style and needs better than any other school. We love the flexibility of the virtual school but love the daily lessons that SCCAL has planned for us each day. The step by step manuals are awesome so any parent can do it. They get to go on field trips and meet the other students and teachers and principal. I have actually talked to the principal more that when they were in regular public school. I feel like they work with us to help our children learn and succeed. Both of my children were struggling readers and within 2 weeks of us working with them at home they showed a huge improvement and now they both love reading! Regular public school just stuck my child in a class with other struggling readers which didn't help at all. With the 1 on 1 help each child gets at home they catch on much faster and seem to understand it better. Im willing to put in the time it takes at home to work with each child on their work and they are much happier in SCCAL than any other school and they still get the social skills by participating in sports and clubs.

Posted May 14, 2014
I love this school!!! The teachers and admins are wonderful and really care about the students! We withdrew from our local public school because they were not willing to adapt to my child's learning style and he was miserable. They were even talking about holding him back because he was not able to "take notes". Calvert has not only accepted my son with open arms but has bent over backwards to ensure that he gets all of the resources he needs to be successful. He is now loves school and looks forward to doing his work.

Posted August 23, 2013
SC Calvert Academy is a great public school option for schooling at home. The wonderful Calvert School curriculum combined with small classes and caring teachers make this a great elementary and middle school choice for our family.

South Carolina Calvert Academy 4

Posted May 23, 2013
I think this is a great school and their system is well organized and easy to follow. For the average student this school is exceptional. However, if your child is gifted this may not be the best fit because they don't have anything in place to challenge gifted children. They also don't offer world languages or science kits which was disappointing but easy to supplement on your own. The teachers were great and PASS testing (which is mandatory) was at a convenient location.

South Carolina Calvert Academy 3

Posted October 16, 2012
SC Calvert Academy positives: Has good teachers,good curriculum,free curriculum. Negative: teaches to the test like all public schools. As soon as you enroll you will hear about PASS testing. If you refuse to sign a form to have your child tested you will be dismissed from SC Calvert Academy. On another option to using Calvert is dealing directly with Calvert and teaching your children all year long and paying private school tuition. Hope this helps.

Posted August 23, 2012
Awesome teachers and wonderful curriculum! My family loves the flexibility that virtual public school offers, but still have a structured system where a state-certified teacher is there to help when you need it. I also love that my child still has friends (in a virtual setting and meets up at different field trips) and the teacher's present live classes each week for my child so he can have more than one learning style presented to him. Any time you homeschool or virtual school, it will be more work for the parent, but when you see the results, it is an overwhelming sense of happiness to see a child thriving mentally, emotionally, and physically, without the pressures of bullies and peer pressure that seems so prevalent in our society today. I will continue to do virtual school for my other children when they are old enough to attend!

South Carolina Calvert Academy
4840 Forest Dr, Columbia, SC  29206
Last modified South Carolina Calvert Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Carolina Calvert Academy Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 6 reviews. Top