Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted December 09, 2015
I would like to say a huge thank you to Peggy Marks at Leaphart. She is kind and thoughtful and goes out of her way to help others each and every day. She assists students with "snack packs" and each student leaves with a smile, as Ms Marks has treated them with kindness and respect. Ms Marks works diligently to make sure all parents stay up to date with school information in the school newsletter. She is concise and informative. Ms Marks also uses her graphics skills to make Leaphart a beautiful school. She works very hard to make sure that all student work is displayed in such a way that makes everyone want to stop and look. She is an asset to Leaphart and deserves many thanks!

Posted April 13, 2011
My daughter attends Leaphart; she transferred from a private school where there were approximately 25 kids in her class. She is in a class of 14, I feel truly blessed because she needed the extra attention. She has an excellent teacher who is patient and kind and very open to communication. The entire staff is great. Sometimes all of the "outside" activites (Family night, Engineering night, Bi-lo night...) can be overwhelming for an "Old Mommy" like me, but as long as my daughter is happy, we will continue to support Leaphart!

Posted March 24, 2009
I don't understand what all the fuss is about the open classroom. I went to Leaphart in the mid eighties and loved my experience there. I am now am a parent of 3 and 2 of my children attend Leaphart (K and 1) and they are doing an excellent job. The kids who aren't doing well are apparently lacking focus. The parents should address this issue on their own. Maybe the open classroom just isn't right for children who are unable to concentrate on the task at hand.

Posted February 24, 2009
We are very pleased with our child's experience at Leaphart. While the 'open classroom' experience provides a challenge for both teacher and student, the teachers seem to work hard to make the environment work for the kids. The school is getting ready to undergo a major expansion and renovation beginning in Summer 09 and the the Open Classrooms will soon be a thing of the past. The school is also being designated as a Math and Science Magnet School beginning with the 2009-2010 school year. A good, diverse school for all kids.

Posted February 12, 2009
I can't wait until my son leaves Leaphart, he's been there 6 years (K-5). Academically the school is lacking. The open classrooms were a mistake from the beginning. This school teaches primarily for standardized tests. Take your children to another school!

Leaphart Elementary School 3

Posted May 24, 2005
As a parent of children who have attended Leaphart, I must say that it has been a challenging experience.We continue to try to stay in the public setting, but are disappointed with our children's experiences in this 'open classroom' school. The teachers are trying, but are in a difficult environment. No one in the District seems to want to admit the challenges before us. They are evident at Leaphart, and manifest themselves by the time the children reach Irmo Middle. Sorry to disagree with another parent, but the school environment leaves much to be desired. Parent surveys (info located at SC State Dept of Ed website) indicate some dissatisfaction with school/home interaction.This is only growing.Music and art is great there, sports do not exist. Academics are struggling.

Leaphart Elementary School 5

Posted May 17, 2005
My child has attended Leaphart for 3 years. She first entered in Kingergarten. We were considering sending her to a private school, but our neighbors assured us that Leaphart would measure up and exceed the private school education. The experience was so great for my daughter after 2 years, that I convinced my cousin to take her daughter out of private school and send her to Leaphart. Her daughter has enjoyed this year and she is looking forward to her next two years at Leaphart. The teachers and faculty are very nice and care for each student. I enjoy being a part of Leaphart.

Posted October 05, 2004
The individual who posted the initial review on this board has obviously never had a child who attended Leaphart. I have been a Leaphart parent for 8 years now with my third child just starting kindergarten. Leaphart continuously receives state and national recognition for its achievements in elementary education. The teachers and staff are second to none and you can rest assured that your child will receive a top-notch education from Leaphart.

120 Piney Grove Rd, Columbia, SC  29210
Last modified Leaphart Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Leaphart Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top