Posted September 22, 2014
My son is now in the 7th grade at Hand. He is in their single gender program which is wonderful! He's also in all advanced placement courses and they are VERY challenging and the teachers hold them to a high standard. We're very happy with Hand Middle and highly recommend it. I'll also add that their service clubs and activities are incredible and we love that holistic approach and offerings in our public school.

Posted July 24, 2014
My child received the best education I could have asked for. The teachers and administration were always enthusiastic willing to provide extra help. My child developed life-long friendships and dedicates much of her success to the education she received from Hand. I loved that Hand offered family reading and math nights to keep parents involved. My daughter even was able to stay after school for archery lessons.

Posted May 23, 2014
This school is sharply divided between black and white. It can be really hard for kids who are more normal and open minded about race. While schools are not solely responsible for social issues, this one seems to be way worse than others in the Columbia region. And no one tries to address it. In fact, There are some divisive programs and policies that feed into it . It's really too bad and academically distracting. So disturbing and difficult for parents, kids and teachers zi imagine. You would think there would be some sort of attempt to remedy the situation. Lots of fighting over it too. Leadership is blind.

Posted April 02, 2013
Hand Middle School is a wonderful school! My child is happy to go to school everyday! The principal and the teachers are the best we have ever experienced. Every time I enter the doorway I am greeted with a smile from all of the staff. My child is challenged with rigorous classroom experiences. I was thrilled that they offer Chinese as a language elective.

Posted February 09, 2013
My sweet AP sixth grader started out a bright eyed, enthusiastic kid at Hand only to become academically and socially frustrated, having been subjected to rampant bullying, nasty racial comments from kids and sexist ridicule from teachers. Violent fights occur on a regular basis as do highly inappropriate conversations--all in class! Yes, a few truly outstanding teachers, but serious issues erupt right under the school's nose with no responsible administrative response. The school specializes in maintaining a clean public profile while keeping parents in the dark. In my experience the real story is one of an unresponsive, phony institution that failed our child. Given the formative importance of the middle school years, I find the lack of any real honest leadership at Hand to be deplorable and these glowing reviews to be naive. One guidance counselor for every 300 students in a school with over 900?--no surprise they prefer to sweep problems under the rug. We will be dealing with the discouragement Hand caused our child for quite some time. If you are considering another option, do so with a view of the real Hand Middle, not its image. Trust me, there is an elephant in the room!!

Hand Middle School 0

Posted April 29, 2010
Faculty experience and credentials. School size Academic Programs and Activities Child enjoyment.

Posted April 27, 2010

Posted November 18, 2009
I am continually impressed with the high standards and dedication of the teachers and especially the principal. They strive to create a safe and focused environment.

Posted November 07, 2009
Such a great school, my child is learning so much there!

Posted November 03, 2009

Hand Middle School
2600 Wheat St, Columbia, SC  29205
Last modified Hand Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hand Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top