Florence, SC

Southside Middle School 0

Posted March 17, 2010
that's a lie about the school's facutly being poor. i was a student at that school and the teachers were excellent. the faculty great and it wasn't overcrowed. and some people that said something bad about this school first need to spell right. then they can say all they want.

Southside Middle School 4

Posted August 02, 2009
My son just finished SSMS and is heading to South Florence. He really enjoyed his 2 years there and was involved in many academic activities as well as social and athletic groups/teams. The teachers are willing to work with students and parents if you just put some effort into it.

Posted March 11, 2007
My twin daughters will be advancing to High School in Aug. 2007 and will be sad to be leaving Southside Middle. I can't say enough good things about this school or its faculty. When Dr. Erik Lowrey was promoted to a district position and left as school principal, I didn't think that a new principal could come close to doing as good of a job as he. However, Mr. Craig Washington has stepped in and done a phenominal job this past year with the school and the students. There may be students who decribe his leadership as strict, but I feel that strong leadership leads students to staying out of trouble and helps keep them on the right track. I also like the fact that Mr. Washington is very visable around the school and very accessible to parents. Cindy Hatfield

Posted February 08, 2007
- a former student
I am a student at Wilson High School this year. I am a freshman. I went to Southside Middle School my 7th and 8th grade years. I loved that school. It was so much fun. All of the teachers helped me as much as I needed. I wish I never had to leave that school but they taught me everything that I know now and I know that it will help me throughout my life. I hope that everyone that works at Southside Middle will read this and know how much I do care about what they have done for me and my life. Mrs. Sandra Brewer was my favorite teacher.She was my Basic Home Life Skills teacher for TWO years. Well I wish you all the best of luck and I hope ya'll will continue to do the best for everyone like you did for me.

Southside Middle School 3

Posted May 27, 2006
I have received a call each time my son was not in school by a recording and some when he was there.Also I had to sign him in if he was late the day before.I have not had any problems with drugs,there was talk of gangs and colors.Sooo,you as a parent keep your child out of this.We have been to the school several times and didnt see the children running around in gang groups.Hopefully my son will be going to the sister South Florence this school year.

Posted June 14, 2005
- a former student

Southside Middle School 4

Posted December 13, 2004
I was very disturbed when i stumpled upon this website and read the only review posted which was one of negativity. I have a child who has been at southside middle school for 2 years now. We have encountered a few difficult times, however, mr. Lowry and the former asst. Principal, mr. Gary, handled every one of the matters with great professionalism and care. Every citcumstance was a situation where my child was the victim. However, I was very satisfied with the outcome of each situation. I don't know who wrote the other e-mail, but i strongly disagree. Southside has been a very pleasant place for my child tyo learn and all of the staff have shown great concern and professionalism with regard to my child and her safety while in school.

Southside Middle School 2

Posted March 11, 2004
This school is either overvrowded or has a poor faculty. Kids are constantly exchanging drugs, using prfanity, wearing gang realted clothing and nothing is done. Several students appeared before the school board for expulsion more than 3 times before they were finally told enough. Children can be absent from school for days at a time and no one questions whether they should be. It is assumed that parents just don't care, when most of the time they have no idea things are that bad. For those parents who just don't care, the scholl makes no effort to follow up in truancy. Kids can be sent home for out of school suspension (OSS) with a slip stating 'parent conferene required' but then the student is allowed to return without a conference and without follow-up contact to question why the conference was not scheduled. I know parents have responsibility...but you need to be aware that there is something going on that needs your attention.

Southside Middle School
200 East Howe Springs Rd, Florence, SC  29505
Last modified Southside Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Southside Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top