Midland Valley Preparatory

Charter | K-8

Posted April 3, 2011

I think Midland Valley Prep is a wonderful school. The Principal, teachers and staff are outstanding. I highly recommond this school to all of Aiken County. Children get one on one teaching. A small but fantastic school.

Posted January 21, 2011

This is the worse school I have ever dealt with. The principal is rude, haughty, and insensitive to the needs of the children. Some of teachers are fantastic, but their hands are tied due to this school's administrator. I would never recommend this school to anyone if they want their child to be successful in a school where the faculty genuinely cares about their well-being, achievements, and works with the parents. My advice is tto stay away from this place. It is a nightmare!

Posted September 13, 2010

My son has been attending MVP since 4K. We have had wonderful teachers every year and the quality of learning is excellent! The standards are high but teachers always help the students to meet their full potential along with making learning fun. My younger son will be attending MVP when he gets of age as well. I wouldn't send either of them to any other school! I couldn't ask for a better learning environment.

Posted July 13, 2010

This is an excellent school of choice... This school has a unique approach to learning that works! Parents are involved and the children love the certified teachers and warm and encouraging atmosphere... most people think it is a private school with the small classroom size and high achievement goals ! I only wish this school had been an option when my children were in school... my grandchildren are excelling ... I cannot say enough good things about this school

Posted May 25, 2010

If you want to send you child to a school that is run by an unmarried, pregnant administrator, a board that is totally out of control and cannot bring the budget together, this is your place. I have removed my child from this school BEFORE it implodes. The new reviews written by the staff try to paint a very rosy and under control atmosphere but it is anything but that. Behind the scenes it is total chaos. Like the saying says...buyer beware...BEWARE!

Posted May 7, 2010

My partner and I placed our children at MVP in 2008. I have never been more pleased with a school. the teachers are top notch when it comes to creating a learning environment that is developmentally appropriate for every child in their class. the children are not grouped together and taught on one level but treated as the individuals they are. The school staff treats each family with respect and dignity. As a parent you are involved with your child/rens educational journey. As for B.J. Dogget the schools administrator, I have never experienced a person with such a love and compassion for a school, its students and their families. She, the staff, and their love for the children is the reason this school as made AYP for the past two years and will continue to thrive as a successful school.

Posted May 4, 2010

I think MVP is a great school. The new administrator, Bette Jean Doggett, is perfect for the school because she is so good with the children. The staff, teachers and board members are all doing a wonderful job.

Posted May 3, 2010

Every story has two sides. Please reserve your judgement of this fine school until you've actually had children there. It is a very good school, very student and parent oriented and I believe it will continue to grow under the new leadership.

Posted May 3, 2010

i think the school is very productive in regards to our children's education. i feel all the politics and allegations should not be priority...but the kids should be. the children are very close knit and they love their school! it is their school. not the administrator's or any one else's. why does everything have to be a battle. cant we all just stick together for the sake of the ljkids?1

Posted May 3, 2010

I would like to respectfully disagree with the parent who stated that the school has fallen apart. On the contrary, our school continues to operate with friendly smiles, great families and dedicated teachers. Our Administrator has the experience, organization, dedication and knowledge necessary to keep our school running smoothly. I do agree that our Board is not operating smoothly, but we are diligently looking for people to run for the Board for next year who are committed to our school and its success. In the meantime, it is the teachers and staff who are looking out for the students and their best interests. I invite ANYONE who would like more information about what goes on at our school to call and schedule a tour of our classrooms. We'll be happy to see you.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 3, 2010

This is school is an excellent choice if you are a single parent; the concept of year-round schooling fits well if you are in school or working. I have enjoyed having my daughter at this top notch school.

Posted March 5, 2010

I am very unhappy with the school and pulled my son out and placed him back in public school. They are very disorganized and unprofessional with my son and his class.

Posted September 14, 2009

This school is awsome!!!!
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 3, 2009

Midland Valley Prep is a great school with a great staff. They know all the children personally and go the extra mile if your child needs help. Their Curriculum is Core Knowledge which provides an academic focus and encourages consistency in instruction using a plan for sequenced learning from grade to grade building upon the foundation previously taught. For more information on Core Knowledge check out: coreknowledge.org. Also the smaller ratio classes are a plus!

Posted June 2, 2009

I was very excited about my daughter going to this school this year, especially concerning the alternative. It has been a bumpy road and there will always be a few of those bumps no matter what school your child goes to. I have heard about some of these other middle schools and I thank God my daughter is at MVP. I feel like part of the progress and not like I am being judged or looked down at when I come into the school. The office does not chastise me for not calling ahead before coming to eat lunch with her class. i am welcome at all times of the day. I feel like we are teaching her as a group and not like I am on th outside of the school looking in. I have recommended this schol to other parents who are getting more and more disenchanted.

Posted August 27, 2008

This is truly a different world than your normal public school. The Principal is one of the most caring I have ever seen. She is always in close contact with students and parents. The extra things the school does are great for the students, like the Thanksgiving dinner. Nowhere will you find a more close knit school.

Posted March 26, 2008

This school is Aiken County's best kept secret! I have been affiliated with the teachers, administration, and office staff for 5 years... they truly CARE about students and their success! It may not be the prettiest school on the block, but 'pretty is as pretty does' and this school does a BEAUTIFUL job of academics! It has made AYP for the last two years and was only 1 of 2 middle schools to make AYP! I have read the negative reviews and totally disagree with their comments... I wish these former students the best in their new environments, but to write negative comments about MVP is very immature... God bless this school and may it continue to prosper.... I wish only the best for the growth and continued success for MVP...

Posted September 22, 2006

The leadership at MVP is horrible...the best teachers are now gone along with most of the students...also any religious expression is forbidden unless it seems to encourage humanism

Posted July 27, 2005

My little girl started this school the first year the school began. We too had high hopes for it. I had home schooled her, and had decided to try this school, as I wanted an alternative to traditional public education. My child started the 1st grade class. We stayed from the opening in August of 2002 until March of 2003 (7 months). When school began (late), our children were in tiny trailer units that we were assured would be temporary placement units. They were too small, and cramped. This year...3 years later, the same 'temporary units' are still being used. Just an example, of the lack of organization in this school. My child was not happy. She had an excellent teacher, the only reason we stayed as long as we did. She returned to home school, but, is now attending Jefferson, and is an Honor student and in the G/T program.

Posted July 20, 2005

I happen to love this school. I have four children who attend and have attended since the school began in August 2002. I understood going into this school that it was a brand new school and a brand new format. I expected some kinks, just as I would in any business. Regardless of the kinks, my children have had very attentive teachers, love to get up for school, the classes are smaller (16 - 20 depending on their ages and most have a classroom aide. Unfortunately, many parents expected this school to be a miracle cure for their children. It is not that. As a parent you are expected to participate and if you do you know about everything happening in the school. There are more teachers who have stayed at the school then have left. They are the good ones! I thank them and the administration.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 80% in 2013.

16 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

16 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 61% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 75% in 2013.

Writing

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 South Carolina used the Palmetto Assessment of State Standards (PASS) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in Writing, English/Language Arts, Math, Social Studies and Science. The PASS is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of South Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 72% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 70% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 74% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 70% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 66% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

10 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 69% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 70% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 71% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 74% in 2013.

All Students75%

Not disabled64%
Proficient in English62%
Not migrant62%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the South Carolina Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students72%

Not disabled60%
Proficient in English56%
Not migrant56%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

Applied Biology

The state average for Applied Biology was 55% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 80% in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 77% in 2013.

Mathematics for the Technologies 2

The state average for Mathematics for the Technologies 2 was 67% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 60% in 2011.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 95% in 2013.

U.S. History and Government

The state average for U.S. History and Government was 57% in 2013.

Scale: %D, C, B, A

In 2012-2013 South Carolina used the End-of-Course Examination Program (EOCEP) to test middle and high school students in Algebra I, Mathematics for the Technologies II, Biology I, English I, US History, and US History and Government. The EOCEP provides tests in high school core courses and for courses taken in middle school for high school credit. The EOCEP is a standards-based test program, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of South Carolina. The goal is for all students to score a C or above.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 39%N/A57%
Female 51%N/A49%
Male 49%N/A51%

Fax number
  • (803) 594-0511

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College preparatory

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now

2432 Jefferson Davis Hwy.
Graniteville, SC 29829