Strom Thurmond High School

Public | 9-12

Posted September 21, 2012

Great school. I was class of 2012 and really enjoyed my 4 years as a Rebel! Great teachers (for the most part) who really care about the students and love the subjects they teach. I would highly recommend Strom Thurmond to anyone.

Posted August 21, 2012

Strom Thurmond High School would be the best high school to send your child to if you live in Edgefield County School. The school has so much to offer academically, numerous award winning extracurricular activities, and a family friendly enviroment that helps with the students learning experience and education. The school has its own magnet school, Thurmond Statesmen Institute, and has a career center that offers a diverse number of career furthuring classes. The career center is right behind the school and also has a terrific teaching staff like the high school itself. Thee school is a great school but also recognizes it has problems but what school doesnt. Except at Strom Thurmond administration dont overlook the problems but strive to fix them so the students can continue recieving the best education they can get. I am a current student of the school and I am proud to be student at Strom Thurmond High School. If I had to do it again I wouldn't change a thing.

Posted August 9, 2012

Strom Thurmond High School is a terrible school and I would not recommend it to anyone. When I am older, I will make sure that my children do not attend such a school! The lack of discipline is awful; the majority of the student population is impudent, not willing to learn, and are lacking a proper education. The advanced classes that are offered at STHS can be a little challenging at times, but let me tell you, the majority of students in them are nothing to be proud of. In STHS it seems as if the clubs and sports are more important than getting an education. The school itself is rather unsanitary; they've got cockroaches and mice running around in the place! The teachers are not entirely thorough in what they teach. One thing I especially hate is the forced participation: Several of the teachers will force you to get in front of the class and force you to work out/answer problems while at the disposal of the class, not even realizing how stressful/nerve-wracking that can be for some of the students. It should be an option to get up in front of the class and make a fool of yourself. I mean presentations are one thing, but working out problems for the whole class? No!

Posted October 21, 2009

We have the great teachers working to develop tomorrow's leaders

Posted March 21, 2009

I am impressed with the pride and care the Teachers and students have for the school. If you like small town and big football you will like this school.

Posted January 23, 2009

Pretty good school. Not as great as these other reviews say but whatever. I will say that most of the teachers truly care about the students but a lot of them aren't very good in my opinion.

Posted November 8, 2008

its amazing. great teachers. great friends. great sports. great everything.

Posted May 8, 2008

Strom Thurmond High is the best high school i have been to. Strom Thurmond is very challenging. I have been to serval High schools and I must admit this school was my favorite. I brag to other kids about how good Thurmond is and they get mad. But this school is awesome. And when i have kids one day I will be sure they go the Strom Thurmond High School.

Posted October 5, 2007

STHS is an asset to the Edgefield Community. We're very proud of the 2007 SAT accomplishment - outscoring the national average! Way to go.

Posted August 30, 2007

My daughter attends STHS. She has had a wonderful experience with caring teachers. I don't understand the low rating. STHS just out scored the Nation on the SAT. They must be doing something right.

Posted July 5, 2007

Great school spirit!! We've really enjoyed being a part of this school and our children have, too. The school has a good wholesome environment, many AP courses, scholarship opportunities, teachers and coaches who care about our kids, and a fine principal with courage and integrity. We highly recommend it.

Posted June 23, 2007

As a parent, I really appreciate the extra time my son's teachers took with him. They kept me informed about his progress and motivated him to do his best. Several teachers sponsored extra-curricular club activities and taught him good values and practical things involving forestry, horticulture, and athletics. I have much respect and gratitude for the staff at STHS. They are a very caring group of people.

Posted April 25, 2005

I am a Strom Thurmond High School graduate and I think it's an average school. There are some courses and some teachers here that are excellent when it comes to preparing students for college material. I can honestly say I was somewhat prepared for college. Then again, some courses are not as helpful when it comes to preparing students for college. There are a number of wonderful extracurricular activities to keep students active and well rounded. I enjoyed my four years at Strom Thurmond.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 22, 2004

Overall Thurmond is a good school. It has it's problems...but what school doesn't. I am a student and I firmly believe that if you want a good education, it's there. Granted you will have to work hard, and put in your time and effort the way the teachers do...but they are there to help you anytime that you need it. The extracirricular activites and other programs offered are there for your benifit. If you choose not to take part in them...it's your loss, because they are excellent programs. Overall, I think that Thurmond is an awesome choice!

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 91% in 2013.

195 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

195 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % level 2, 3, or 4

In 2012-2013 South Carolina used the High School Assessment Program (HSAP) to test grade 10 students in English/Language Arts and Math. The HSAP is a high school graduation requirement. The HSAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of South Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 2.

English/Language Arts

English language learnersn/a
Proficient in English82%
Non-migrant82%
Scale: % level 2, 3, or 4

The different student groups are identified by the South Carolina Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

261 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Applied Biology

The state average for Applied Biology was 55% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 80% in 2013.

205 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 77% in 2013.

157 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Mathematics for the Technologies 2

The state average for Mathematics for the Technologies 2 was 67% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 60% in 2011.

224 students were tested at this school in 2011.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 95% in 2013.

U.S. History and Government

The state average for U.S. History and Government was 57% in 2013.

168 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: %D, C, B, A

In 2012-2013 South Carolina used the End-of-Course Examination Program (EOCEP) to test middle and high school students in Algebra I, Mathematics for the Technologies II, Biology I, English I, US History, and US History and Government. The EOCEP provides tests in high school core courses and for courses taken in middle school for high school credit. The EOCEP is a standards-based test program, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of South Carolina. The goal is for all students to score a C or above.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 66%N/A57%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1131 Columbia Rd