Public charter
Mt. Pleasant, SC

Posted August 18, 2014
I just stumbled upon these recent reviews of ECMCS and have to refute some of the comments. Regarding the lottery to get in, there is absolutely no priority given to students who come from a montessori school or any other specific background. It is purely "luck of the draw" and completely unbiased. Our children got lucky and got a spot as incoming 1st graders years ago. They did not have a montessori background. There was also a review stating that children leave ECMCS unprepared for a traditional school. Of course, all children are different and some may not handle change well, but the students I know personally are thriving - at schools such as Academic Magnet, SOA, Wando and others. The principal, Jody Swanigan, is professional and a visionary who has built a successful school from the ground up. The school staff is dedicated and caring with very little turnover.

East Cooper Montessori Charter School 2

Posted July 28, 2014
I agree with the other post, the principal seems to have some vision of what children should be, and if your child doesn't fit, then prepare to hear how bad they are. We left last year after 4 years. Today, my child is doing great in her traditional school. Her math map scores jumped 30 points. She likes her teachers and not once have I received negative remarks from her teachers or principal. A school's first job is to ensure the children learn the material. They are not there to judge the children if they don t fit in some mold, or make sure they make right choices, or kind to the environment, etc. Of course these are very important, but they are NOT the first job of a school. This school puts all those things above actually teaching the kids, and then blames the kids for making the wrong choices if they are behind. Please consider all options in choosing a school for your child, and DO NOT be led to believe just because a school has desk and classroom structure that it is a bad school, and detrimental to your child. They will try to get you to believe that.

Posted June 25, 2014
How is this school allowed to exist as part of Charleston County Schools? We were told our child would get preference for enrollment if she attended Sundrops Montessori Preschool. That means people who can afford 1000 plus a month can get enrollment preference? And a lot of the people who know the awful principal or who are affiliated with Sundrops have or have had a child who goes to or went to ECMCS. Sounds like someone created a school for her own control purposes to weed out the "riff raff" and inspire people to spend money at Sundrops. Pay attention to the staff reviews. Why is Charleston County giving this school a building when other charters are truly trying to help a diverse population of students?

Posted June 23, 2014
This school was a nightmare for all three of my children. The principal is detached and even cruel to children who do not fit into her mold of an acceptable student. The teacher turnover rate is horrendous, which is a direct result of her poor leadership ability. Children do not learn basic skills necessary to walk into high school prepared to organize their homework assignments, take notes, or understand the importance of tests and exams. The learning curve is massive. One of my children's ECMCS teachers were unable to show me how she determined grades, was unable to show me a workbook with my child's assignments. She was a disorganized mess. Parents are forced to volunteer because the leadership is unable to inspire volunteerism. So glad my children now attend wonderful schools where individuality and education are valued. Trust me, we did not find that at ECMCS. Please feel free to apply. Unlike other charters, there are always openings because of massive student turnover.

Posted April 08, 2013
I have 2 boys at ECMCS, one in 1st and one in 3rd and we couldn't be more pleased with this school. My 3rd grader transferred to ECMCS in 2nd grade after attending a private school for K and 1st grade. What I found at the private school was a plethora of worksheets and zero use of critical thinking skills that left my bright child completely apathetic towards school. Transitioning from a traditional classroom to the montessori classroom took some time but within the first week at ECMCS I noticed a renewed enthusiasm and joy for learning. Admittedly, doing independent work and staying focused remained a struggle for some time but the rewards have been immeasurable as I see both of my children engaged and eager to go to school everyday. We love this school for so many reasons. To name only a few, one is definitely the dedicated teachers and staff. Also, the enriched learning environment, the opportunity to excel at your own pace and the emphasis on discovery and community. I can only speak to my own experience with the principal, which has only been positive. I know her only to be engaging, receptive, approachable and supportive. We are so thankful to be at ECMCS!

Posted February 22, 2013
My daughter loves to go to school since we moved her from a traditional school with its daily tests, quizzes, homework, and high stress levels. Now, she is so excited about what she's learning and wants to talk about all the wonderful things she's discovering at ECMCS. This school is a gift to any child lucky enough to be enrolled.

Posted September 24, 2012
My daughter has been attending ECMCS for the past 4 years and has never once asked to stay home. She simply thrives in the educational setting and loves her school. Her loving teachers have helped her develop into a well rounded child with strong values and good work ethic. I am saddened to see bitter comments from a couple of folks. Sometimes things just don't work out the way you plan... To displace blame because you don't understand the lesson present is weak. Montessori is not for every teacher nor for every parent. It is a way of life that requires sincere commitment. I am also a former employee of 2 years and had nothing but a great experience from that position. It is extremely difficult to make everyone happy all of the time but I feel like Ms. Jody and her team do a great job! The children are a direct example of what a great community they have developed.

Posted June 30, 2012
Jody Swanigan, the principal, is a nightmare. As a past employee, I can honestly say that I was treated very poorly and unfairly. I witnessed with my own eyes, Jody putting on a fake smile to parents and then talking badly about them behind their backs. She is a bully, is unprofessional, and fake. It is not a pleasant place to work... just check out the turnover rate. I'm thankful to be out of that environment.

Posted November 02, 2011
I taught at this school and have only positive words. The Principal is open to new ideas, supportive of professional growth, and sets high standards for all. The staff she brings on are dedicated to Montessori education and their students. It was a place you loved to work at everyday - I haven't found a school quite like it yet. Public Montessori may not be for every parent or every teacher, and I feel some of the negative comments represent the small minority, vs. the large majority that feel ECMCS has changed their child's life.

Posted August 14, 2011
Another teacher just quit and the year hasn't even started! Honestly, you can't keep fooling yourself by the pretty building and smiling faces. Just look at the unheard of amount of teacher turnover at this school. In the five years since my son was there and later removed, the entire staff except for one teacher is gone. The excuses are always there but they all come from the true cause of these problems: the principal. It seems that people try to do something but give up because unless this principal is replaced nothing will improve or change. She is a control freak and has a horrible grip on teachers. It is unpleasant to work there as many have claimed because of their dealing with her, otherwise, it would be a dream job and school. It's a real shame.......many would return if she left.

East Cooper Montessori Charter School
250 Ponsbury Rd, Mt. Pleasant, SC  29464
Last modified East Cooper Montessori Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades 1-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
East Cooper Montessori Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top