Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

I rated this school a 2 because my experience leads me to feel that this school has the potential to be great but has bad leadership. My child has been here for 3 years and with each year I hope things will improve but I am afraid that the overall theme is MONEY and GREED. His first year was so amazing and quickly I learned this school is not all it preaches. This school has moved away from the small community feel tremendously. Peace projects are not a monthly focal point, inexperienced staff of non-Montessorians are filling the classrooms, specials teachers aside from two are engaging, and the staff are overworked and disgruntled. Each teacher teaches differently and unless you own a business or pay a large annual fund donation you don't have the ear of the principal to help with many situations. There is no way to track their progress or know what the kids are working on. I feel my child likes this school because they barely work and are left to independently doodle and read versus work....what kid would not love school if they did that all day. I have talked to past staff members who were mistreated by the principal, demeaned, or undermined. Although she is trying her best to fix these behaviors this year she could benefit from an evaluation of her own one by parents and one by staff. Diversity is lacking, community feel is lacking, and authentic Montessorians are lacking. I know this school has had a huge turnover which is scary. This principal is draining teachers of their passion which is even scarier. I fear Maria Montessori would be so disappointed in this school and I find it highly alarming that more than half of the staff have children who DO NOT attend this school by.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

I have heard of bullying in 3 out 7 classes that takes place with little support for the children.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

I don't know much about the sped department personally but my friend does and last year alone they had 3 different sped teachers leave, getting an IEP on a child is like pulling teeth, and students with disabilities could use more interventions and parents could use more support. Most parents get evaluations provided outside of the school which is ridiculous and costly (something the school is supposed to provide).

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

Read full review. The principal is the problem!

Develops character: Disagree

This again depends on the lead teacher and their passions for peace lessons, community-related activities,, and characteristics of a strong character. My child's teacher does not touch on this at all and the school no longer does either. So unfortunate.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

These teachers all teach differently which would be fine if all followed the standards and effective research based practices. Funny the principal's child has the teacher with the most credentials in reading and a strong Montessori background versus some of the the other lower el lead teachers.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Homework consists of coloring reading clocks and managing your child's own math facts. Highly uneffective without proper resources provided (fact work cards, worksheets, etc).

I currently have a 1st and 3rd grader. My third grader has been at ECMCS for 2 years. I feel that the Montessori approach instills confidence in each of my children, as it promotes independence of learning. I am pleased with their teachers and the love and support they have experienced.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

I lucked out in the homeroom teacher area. My 3rd grader is definitely missing some of the specials teachers from last year.

Amount of homework: Neutral

You could say the way the homework assignments are given once a week could put more on the parents. But, I took it as a learning opportunity. My first child learned quickly to do her homework in after school so that she could play when she go home because homework was done!

Last modified East Cooper Montessori Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades 1-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.