Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 07, 2016
The list is LONG, but must include Scott Rush and Bobby Lambert, the former and current band directors of WHS. I cannot thank them enough, not just for the leadership in band, but for the mentorship and caring they have shown ALL the young men and women there. Their concern has gone well beyond simply being a good musician. Same with the others in the music program including Jeff Handel and Lanie Radecke.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted May 07, 2016
I'm tempted to say "too much" but my sons have learned to balance the load pretty well. At first, it seemed like a lot.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted May 07, 2016
It may be more from the band program that this is the case but, yes, my sons and MANY other young men and women there have exceptional persistence. You have to have grit to stick with band during the long practice season (but the payoff is fantastic)!

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted May 07, 2016
Same here. My sons feel part of a larger community that cares for each other.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 07, 2016
The school is fair and integrity plays a VERY big role. They don't just talk it either.

Wando High School 5

Posted May 07, 2016
Both of my sons have attended Wando HS, and I could not be more satisfied with their education! Yes, the school is BIG, but there are advantages to a big school. My sons have had, almost without exception, excellent teachers that they've enjoyed. They have gotten a great education and my older son, between academics and music, has earned a FULL RIDE to USC. Also, I cannot recommend the band program highly enough. Yes, it is somewhat expensive, but the experiences my sons have had will last a lifetimes and have enriched them far beyond music alone. I really cannot say enough about the school. If you and your kids explore all it has to offer, there is very little chance you would come away unimpressed.

Posted March 11, 2015
Being a parent of a senior at Wando High School, I am completely unsatisfied with the school. If my child is home sick and I write a note to the attendance office, they will not accept that as an "excused" absence. For instance, knowing that my daughter has a fever, I give her permission to stay at home and by doing that I am adding on to her unexcused absences. I don't think I should be put into the position where I have to pay money for a doctor to tell me that, yes she is sick. She has now seat time and her parking spot got taken away. With a job that she has right after school, she know can't proceed with that. Wando needs to get their rules and regulations together and stop punishing our kids. They have a freedom of speech as well as we do.

Posted November 30, 2014
Wando is simply too big. The children are numbers and the teachers don't know all of their students by name. If your child is a high achiever and in the top 10%, they may shine at Wando. But for the average child, they just get lost. It sometimes takes weeks to see a guidance counselor, and the children are seen as guilty until proven innocent. It is a shame and is sad to watch. Our children need to shine and feel good about themselves, and it just doesn't happen here. Mount Pleasant is too big for just one High School. Very disappointing that we have let this happen to our children.

Posted September 04, 2014
This school is not only huge and uncomfortable abut also very bias and solely focused on sports. They offer very little in the arts and academics department, yet what they do offer is the bare minimum, chorus, theater etc.... not much else. The teachers lack spirt and you can tell, as well as the students who want to learn but often do not. There however some diamonds in the rough, i am calling out Ms.McDonald a fabulous psychology teacher and Coach Corrning a great American History and Sociology teacher. Both genuinely care and want to be there and enjoy the company of there students.

Wando High School 5

Posted January 25, 2014
Wando is a fantastic school. Having been in a very small school for nine years, I felt that I would be uncomfortable with the size adjustment. But the faculty and staff members are the best, much better than I saw in any other high school that I visited. My mother went to Wando when she was in high school, and it's great features haven't changed. Yes, it can be difficult to navigate and can be tough during class changes, but you really do meet someone new every day. It is a great environment full of people who want to help with any problems you might have, and I wouldn't want to go anywhere else.

1000 Warrior Way, Mt. Pleasant, SC  29466
Last modified Wando High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.