Bad
Good

Amount of homework: Agree

I'm tempted to say "too much" but my sons have learned to balance the load pretty well. At first, it seemed like a lot.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school is fair and integrity plays a VERY big role. They don't just talk it either.

Both of my sons have attended Wando HS, and I could not be more satisfied with their education! Yes, the school is BIG, but there are advantages to a big school. My sons have had, almost without exception, excellent teachers that they've enjoyed. They have gotten a great education and my older son, between academics and music, has earned a FULL RIDE to USC. Also, I cannot recommend the band program highly enough. Yes, it is somewhat expensive, but the experiences my sons have had will last a lifetimes and have enriched them far beyond music alone. I really cannot say enough about the school. If you and your kids explore all it has to offer, there is very little chance you would come away unimpressed.

Being a parent of a senior at Wando High School, I am completely unsatisfied with the school. If my child is home sick and I write a note to the attendance office, they will not accept that as an "excused" absence. For instance, knowing that my daughter has a fever, I give her permission to stay at home and by doing that I am adding on to her unexcused absences. I don't think I should be put into the position where I have to pay money for a doctor to tell me that, yes she is sick. She has now seat time and her parking spot got taken away. With a job that she has right after school, she know can't proceed with that. Wando needs to get their rules and regulations together and stop punishing our kids. They have a freedom of speech as well as we do.

Wando is simply too big. The children are numbers and the teachers don't know all of their students by name. If your child is a high achiever and in the top 10%, they may shine at Wando. But for the average child, they just get lost. It sometimes takes weeks to see a guidance counselor, and the children are seen as guilty until proven innocent. It is a shame and is sad to watch. Our children need to shine and feel good about themselves, and it just doesn't happen here. Mount Pleasant is too big for just one High School. Very disappointing that we have let this happen to our children.

This school is not only huge and uncomfortable abut also very bias and solely focused on sports. They offer very little in the arts and academics department, yet what they do offer is the bare minimum, chorus, theater etc.... not much else. The teachers lack spirt and you can tell, as well as the students who want to learn but often do not. There however some diamonds in the rough, i am calling out Ms.McDonald a fabulous psychology teacher and Coach Corrning a great American History and Sociology teacher. Both genuinely care and want to be there and enjoy the company of there students.

Wando is a fantastic school. Having been in a very small school for nine years, I felt that I would be uncomfortable with the size adjustment. But the faculty and staff members are the best, much better than I saw in any other high school that I visited. My mother went to Wando when she was in high school, and it's great features haven't changed. Yes, it can be difficult to navigate and can be tough during class changes, but you really do meet someone new every day. It is a great environment full of people who want to help with any problems you might have, and I wouldn't want to go anywhere else.

I agree with the previous post ("Simply the best...")! I'm the parent of a high-achieving freshman who has just finished a great year! Just go visit! The opportunities are endless and the level of instruction/ coaching is top notch!

Simply the best high school I've ever seen! Wando is an outstanding school in a state that's traditionally struggled to produce great public education. Its faculty, administrators and support staff are wonderful, concerned and focused on promoting excellence always. Yes, it's a big school - a very big school - but therein lies the opportunity for so many students. I've had two children at Wando, both of whom found their niches and have had marvelous experiences there. (My younger son, who loathed sitting still in class, has a straight-A average in his first semester at Wando and is doing terrifically on all levels there.) The amount of extra opportunity available - both during and after school - is a result of the large population - and having students majoring in an area with college-level courses (business, health sciences, pre-engineering and others) puts them way ahead of their peers at other schools. Their extracurricular programs range from cooking to sports to robotics to ROTC and more. I can't say enough about this school and am thrilled that my children are fortunate enough to attend.

It's true, mostly all of the guidance counselors and teachers are very nice and polite. But it's also true that this school is very big. Which is not a problem itself, but the school gets very unfamiliar with the bigger size. Plus the newer campus is not even big enough for all the students, some have to study in trailers. Yes, the academic programs are good and it may be the best school in that area, but still, I think the size really matters. And let me tell you this, studying in a trailer because even the new campus is to small for the number of students isn't nice at all. So size matters after all!

Last modified Wando High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.