North Augusta High School

Public | 9-12 | 1598 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 20, 2013

Im a grad of 94 and ALOT has changed since then I have two kids that will be attending a school out of Aikin county due to class size and over all. I've been on the teaching in of this school to and feel that school is what you put into it and where yo want to go in life you will never be 100% happy with what you are and where you go but you can make this best out of what yo have. Other schools might be best for some and not others again it's what YOU choise. I have seen and been apart of the "mob" in the hall and the school does need help but that also comes with money. So with that being said if ya donot like it change.

Posted April 27, 2012

North Augusta is a great choice for schools to go to in Akien County. They are undefeated in every sport. The have a great learning system and they are the best in the county and top 5 in the state of South Carolina.

Posted August 11, 2011

I think NAHS is "ok" for students to go But I hate the fact they're so disorganized, dress code is too strict for girls. I wish teachers gave us a week to study for exams, and help us more with HSAP. Girl bathroom are horrible ! they need to fix lock, so girls wouldn't have to use a gum! I hope 2011-2012 are going to be a great years for us!

Posted November 18, 2008

The teachers are great, some of them actually teach instead of just write people up all day, but the student population is too much. It's a mosh pit when it comes to going from class to class. The dress code is too strict for girls. There are tests every week with only 3 days to study, teachers demand you pay attention yet don't help out when you need it. I'm looking forward to going to another hs in the area with a smaller class setting. NAHS was great for my dad 20 years ago but in 2008, it's not good enough for me.

Posted November 17, 2008

I am a former teacher of NAHS, and think it is a wonderful school. Most people know that school is what you make it. If you choose to do well and become a well rounded individual, you will go far. If you choose to goof off and do nothing in and out of school, that is your choice too, but you cannot blame a school for your own incompetence. Please believe that every school has their problems. I know that some people mentioned that some teachers float (I did my first year teaching there), they have portables (what school these days doesn't), and they do not feel secure (lock your classroom door). These are all minor problems that all schools face at one time or another. Be thankful for what you have, because a lot schools have it much worse. You have to work hard for anything worth having. Go Jackets.

Posted February 15, 2007

My daughter attended this school for two semesters in the pre-IB program. From a parental perspective the school is extremely overcrowded and the halls are in a grid pattern which creates a 'mosh pit' at every class change (this is how the librarian described it to me). For the surrounding mostly middle class area, this school is sorely out of date in design (many classes are reached by outside breezeways w/no cover exposing students to rain, cold, kidnapping, skipping etc...)My daughter was in a class that was a 31-1 student/teacher ratio. This school is mostly academically focused offering pre-IB and advanced programs for the college bound student however in these programs expectations are extremely high for incoming freshmen with homework given every night in nearly every class that can total six hours worth for a dawdling teen. Do not go here if you're looking for a sports scholarship-sports are not emphasized.

Posted February 1, 2007

The school now has over 1600 students in a 1200-1300 pupil school with 9 portables which expose students to weather as they change classes. Because of the over crowding there are several floating teachers that do not have a classroom of their own. The building is in need of repair. The campus is open and cannot be easily secured in case of an emergency. Academics are stressed but not enough opportunities are available for those who are not college bound. Many students wish to go the vocational track, but only a limited number of spaces are availble at an offsite vocational building. The school does offer AP and IB coursework for those who are willing to put in the work. Discipline is inconsistant.

Posted March 14, 2006

I feel North Augusta was an excellent experience for me during my time there. The experiences I had during my four years were invaluble for shaping what I have become now as a college senior. I played 3 sports during my time there and felt that the faculty as well as the coaching staff always had my best interest at heart. However, I do feel that NAHS along with many other schools in the country does have its share of politics. I would not hesitate to send my children there one day in order to give them the same experiences that I was lucky enough to have.

Posted August 5, 2005

I have been involved at different levels as a parent. At one time I served on the PTSA board. I have found that the majority of the teachers are extremely helpful. My daughters have had some wonderful teachers and counselors. Overall I like the school but I did experience some profiling in that it seems a lot of minority children are not set on a track to go to college. Without even asking them, they are steered towards technical classes not college-bound and I have even seen them actually discouraged from trying to switch tracks and plan for college. I believe that most are wonderful teachers and students but there is an undercurrent of 'old south' mentality that I would like to see disappear. Compared to others in the area this school rates above the average. I will just make sure that I am active in my child's curriculm planning.

Posted March 7, 2005

I love NAHS. It is well managed and has few discipline problems. The Go program is working well with my 11th graders and they show a real interest in character education. Most students are respectful, polite and show real school pride. The teachers are all professional and the principals are excellent. Parents are receptive to notes, e-mails and calls. When the topic of schools came up with some of my Georgia friends, they were complaining about their schools and asked me about NAHS. I gave them a similar report as written above; then one exclaimed that they never hear negative things about North Augusta High School. That's because it is a school of excellence and good reputation.

Posted September 24, 2004

North Augusta high school is a great place. I have been working with the custodians since May 14, 2004. They do so much work and keep the school looking good.

Posted August 24, 2004

I think that North Augusta High School is a great educational institution. The teachers really care about their students and treat them as if they were their own. This school takes great pride in tradition, such as athletics being one of the largest,but it does have a tradition academically. Many students in the past have gone on to school on academic scholorships. I know all of this because I too graduated from this great school.

Posted June 16, 2004

North Augusta High School is a fine school that has a great deal to offer. If you are willing to work you will do well. If you are not willing to work you will not do well. It is that simple. Many students receive academic scholarships so I know the academic standards are high.

Posted June 4, 2004

In general,I think that North Augusta High School is a school in working progress in providing new activities, new staff, new advancements, stronger disipline and more enthusiasm for helping students to pass their classes and focus on what position they are taking a role in. In my opinion this school does not offer a whole lot of freedom, relaxation, independence or as you can say 'adventure and fullfilment' for the students. North Augusta High School is a good environment for its teaching tactics, but is like a school for punishment and suffer. Ya'll don't have to take this Philadelpiha Native student for word on this. I'm just expressing how I really feel about this school.

Posted May 11, 2004

My only son dropped out of this school saying it made him racist, my 16 year old honor roll student(My youngest daughter) claims 'I wasn't rasist until I started High School. She also says all they care about is football but it has supposively paid off because CJ Byrd has recieved over 30 major college scholarship offers. The other sports and things do not get near the attention as Football.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 91% in 2013.

335 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

334 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % level 2, 3, or 4

In 2012-2013 South Carolina used the High School Assessment Program (HSAP) to test grade 10 students in English/Language Arts and Math. The HSAP is a high school graduation requirement. The HSAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of South Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 2.

English/Language Arts

English language learners88%
Proficient in English89%
Non-migrant89%
Scale: % level 2, 3, or 4

The different student groups are identified by the South Carolina Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

145 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Applied Biology

The state average for Applied Biology was 55% in 2013.

n/a
Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 80% in 2013.

366 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 77% in 2013.

242 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Mathematics for the Technologies 2

The state average for Mathematics for the Technologies 2 was 67% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 60% in 2011.

363 students were tested at this school in 2011.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 95% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History and Government

The state average for U.S. History and Government was 57% in 2013.

274 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: %D, C, B, A

In 2012-2013 South Carolina used the End-of-Course Examination Program (EOCEP) to test middle and high school students in Algebra I, Mathematics for the Technologies II, Biology I, English I, US History, and US History and Government. The EOCEP provides tests in high school core courses and for courses taken in middle school for high school credit. The EOCEP is a standards-based test program, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of South Carolina. The goal is for all students to score a C or above.

Asian 1% 1%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 39%N/A55%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Swimming pool
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Fax number
  • (803) 442-6127

Foreign languages taught
  • French
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options