Wren High School

Public | 9-12

Posted January 10, 2014

What a POLITICAL nightmare for Athletics!! The football special teams coach has his favorites along with the head football coach. Its a shame that the football players have to put up with the antics of adults and their personal politics. My son is an awesome kicker (kicked his sophomore year and never missed an extra point) and was never given a chance by the head coach or special teams coach. We have never witnesses so much unfairness in athletics. I do believe the head coach and others should be dismissed. The Varsity & JV football players don't get a decent meal before away games or a snack before home games. The website is LOUSY!!!!!!! No accurate information such the head football coach email is not even apparent. They will never win any type of championship with the way they politically coach! Academics is not much better. Teachers do AR in high school which is embarrassing! The teachers do way to many unnecessary projects(this is just to show the admin the song and dance show for observation) and don't communicate to parents until your child is failing. That parent who made the comment about baseball is right on target. Avoid Wren High School Athletics!!

Posted May 14, 2013

The School Academically is a great school, but athletically the school is very political, it's not how your child can play it's who his parents are and how much money can you give to support the athletic program. The baseball program is run by a pile of jerks, who pick before the season who is going to play and it doesn't matter how hard you work, you never get to play or have a chance to play, no matter if the other players strike out, or make errors. The arrogance of the Coach is terrible, he has had enough talent in the last 4 years to win, at least 2 state titles, but never made it to the big show , because when the situation call for him to really coach he can't and the last four years prove that. No help is given to the kids who want to go to college and play in college, forgive me but I thought that's what coaches were supposed to do is help the kids, not just try to make their selves look good. It was the most horrible 4 years of baseball we ever experienced. My son was told he was not good enough to play at Wren but today he is playing College ball, and just received the Roy A. Vernon Coaches award. So somebody must have missed something do you think.

Posted June 19, 2011

This high school is TERRIBLE. I had above a 4.0 and my parents were very involved in my academics and it is still awful! A principle probably left the last comment posing as a student. The school is so worried about what they look like, they treat the students very poorly. They find stupid reasons to expel students because they are too dumb and make the school look bad, instead of helping them. They make us act like robots and it feels like a jail walking into school. The happiest day of my life was graduation day. We only won Palmetto's Finest because there was no one left to give it to. The administration is not fair and harass students. The bathrooms stay trashed and gross and the food is soggy and cold. The hallways leak when it rains. They force you to take classes you will not succeed in such as Calculus when you are going to be a Journalism major in College. And the administration are control freaks.This school is terrible!don't go here!

Posted June 10, 2011

I love this high school. We just won Palmetto's Finest(which means that Wren High School is the BEST high school in the STATE) and this award is a BIG deal. They have great athletic programs, teachers are worried about the students grades, disipline is handed the way it should be, and the staff is very kind and determined to help.

Posted March 9, 2011

My oldest son has been in the Wren schools since 4th grade and he has loved every year, and my youngest has been in there since he was able to start school (he is now in middle school). I have not had any bad experiences like the ones that have been posted by others. The faculty at each school has been great. I think alot of the bad reviews that are being posted are from "parents" that are not active in their childs education. I feel that if they were they would have probably had a better experience with the faculty. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees, meaning maybe it was your child that was the problem and not the faculty and staff at the school. Wren (elementary, middle, 9thgrade academy, & high) is an awesome school community and as long as the parents, teachers, & staff of the schools are all in agreement that the child education is what they are there for, you should have a great experience like myself and my child. I highly recommend Wren schools to anyone.

Posted March 20, 2010

Wren High is exellent so far (9th grader). The teachers are very impressive, discipline is well handled. Wren grads are well respected academically at South East Universities. If we could just keep them safe in cars, this would be a perfect school.

Posted March 10, 2010

***** 5 stars! Super school! My children all were prepared well and have super preparation for future educational endeavors.

Posted December 16, 2009

I don't like this school at all. Teachers and other staff employees have 'favorites' and also they are not fair to some students in some disiplinary actions. The school is very 'clicky'. Kids are labeled, I can see (but I dont agree) why some kids end up quitting school. They need to be more positive towards the students. Thank god this is ,my last child to go to Wren.

Posted October 29, 2009

As a Alumni of Wren High '07 I feel that it is a wonderful school for kids who are focused on going to class, learning, and graduating with a high school diploma. It was a wonderful school for me. I had my ups and downs like all teenagers do. But I also had some of the most dedicated teachers in the state. Mr. Kastner my econ teacher sat down and helped me throught all the tough times I was going through in high school. And the staff would help in any situation. Thanks!

Posted October 16, 2009

As a former Wren student, and having experienced how other High Schools throughout the state function via younger siblings, I feel I have a good foundation for argument. First let me say that I hated my time at Wren, but will admit that its a decent school. Average, even though it's reputation would state otherwise. The faculty does an ok job running the school efficiently, but I found at times they were too worried about enforcing the rules. So much so that it interfered with what they are there for - to provide a good education to their students. The teachers are pretty good, but not overly concerned with assisting the kids who really need help. Cliques: Ya'll need to concern yourselves with the fact that some teachers get involved with the Cliques. Forget the students. Also, Wren does test well, but most students come from good families.It's not the education.

Posted August 15, 2009

Wren sxhool is a great sxhool that is constanly growing.

Posted August 14, 2009

I am a former student of Wren High School and absolutly loved the time I spent there.I feel I received a top quality education and had wonderful teachers that would bend over backwards for their students. Now that I am a mother, I would not send my child to any other school other than Wren. The Wren Community is very welcoming, the teachers and staff are exceptional and there are tons of extra curricular activities and sports to keep you occupied. I believe most of the reviews on here were correct and was a little upset to see a few not so good reviews. I can only speak for myself, but I truly believe that this is a wonderful school and will not send my child anywhere else when that time comes. I highly recommend Wren to anyone thinking of moving to this area. You will not be disappointed.

Posted November 7, 2008

Wren is the best high school ever. I have 2 kids there and they both love school. How many kids do you hear say they love school?

Posted July 31, 2008

Wonderful High School, staff is totally committed to students.

Posted May 22, 2008

I'm very proud of the education I received at Wren High School. The teachers are committed to us students and with words of encouragement, they've always pushed me to do my best. I graduate in a couple days and I will miss WHS very much. Mr Binnicker does an exceptional job and he influences his staff to do the same. Sure, it's high school, and it has its cliques, but you can't be so naive to think that Wren is the only school with them. At times the policies may be strict, but it isn't hard to follow the rules... wear your ID, don't have holes in your pants above your knee, and don't get in fist fights. It's pretty simple. I really believe that I received an unmatched education at Wren... one that I wouldn't have gotten elsewhere.

Posted May 1, 2008

this school is great. and anybody who says otherwise just say so becuase they are lazy and dont like school all together. First of all, there are barley any 'cliques' at wren. everybody gets along here and tries to be nice to each other. Wren also has the best academics in the state. Most students are either in College Prep, Honors, or AP classes. some of the athletics at wren honestly need new coaches. they discourage us, not coach us. other than that, the extra cirricular activivties are great. and the students at Wren bond together from that.

Posted February 12, 2008

I think Wren High School is an excellent school. In reality the discipline system is very efficient and the rules they have are to keep us safe. True there are cliques, but where are there not? Teachers do an excellent job preparing us for our future. It's apparent how much time they put in preparing for everyday. I think Wren is top quality and I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Posted November 14, 2005

As a parent of 2 who have graduated from Wren, in fact moved to area so they could attend Wren, it is very clicky...if 'model student' will do fine. I have had both an Honor Roll student and a student who is ADHD. My honor roll student had no problems and fit in perfect, although the 'clicks' are very much out there and I discouraged involvement. My ADHD child fit in as long as on football team and one of better players. Once left team, had very difficult time....half of teachers would not communicate, ignored emails until report card time when too late. Failed 1 class by 1 point...and was a teacher who had ignored me, had to go to summer school in GREENWOOD. Could've been prevented-- principal was of no help. But, will say, graduated because of one special ed teacher that had for 2 years-she was fantastic!

Posted November 8, 2005

Wren High School is one of the best schools in the state. The level of discipline is high enough to keep kids in check but low enough to allow children to enjoy school. Not only is the academic standard very high, but students also excel in extra-curricular activities. I don't believe there is another school in the state that can match Wren's academics, athletics, location, and overall appeal.

Posted November 1, 2005

Wren is a wondeful school! I graduated from Wren in 2005. I think that I received an education at Wren that is hard to find. Wren prepared me for all the challenges of college. I had a multitude of extracurricular activities that I could have participated in and I took part in as many as I could. My teachers were amazing! Students that are having a tough time at Wren obviously don't have enough time invested in their future success. There should be no question that Wren is an amazing institution!
—Submitted by a former student

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 91% in 2013.

261 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

261 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % level 2, 3, or 4

In 2012-2013 South Carolina used the High School Assessment Program (HSAP) to test grade 10 students in English/Language Arts and Math. The HSAP is a high school graduation requirement. The HSAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of South Carolina. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 2.

English/Language Arts

English language learnersn/a
Proficient in English94%
Non-migrant94%
Scale: % level 2, 3, or 4

The different student groups are identified by the South Carolina Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Applied Biology

The state average for Applied Biology was 55% in 2013.

n/a
Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 80% in 2013.

255 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 77% in 2013.

162 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Mathematics for the Technologies 2

The state average for Mathematics for the Technologies 2 was 67% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 60% in 2011.

472 students were tested at this school in 2011.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 95% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History and Government

The state average for U.S. History and Government was 57% in 2013.

267 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: %D, C, B, A

In 2012-2013 South Carolina used the End-of-Course Examination Program (EOCEP) to test middle and high school students in Algebra I, Mathematics for the Technologies II, Biology I, English I, US History, and US History and Government. The EOCEP provides tests in high school core courses and for courses taken in middle school for high school credit. The EOCEP is a standards-based test program, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of South Carolina. The goal is for all students to score a C or above.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 24%N/A57%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

905 Wren School Rd