No rating

Summerville Catholic School

Private | PK-8

Living in Summerville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $160,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Posted June 27, 2014

I believe my child has been hurt by attending this school. The school has been heading downhill for the past several years. Bullying has been a constant problem which has never been dealt with sternly, thereby allowing it to thrive. teacher quality is not what it was and continues to get worse. My child, who recently completed eight grade, knows nothing about world or US history... Except for Latin American history. This is because there is no history class, but there is a mandatory Spanish class. Although the Spanish teacher has changed each of the past several years, in each instance the teacher is Mexican and the children learn about Mexican holidays, independence, etc but not US history. There is no music curriculum for middle school children. None. The children complete middle school without knowing either the Pledge of Allegiance or the National Anthem. Some teachers are great, most border on incompetent. I know, for instance, how many failed relationships the English teacher had this year (four) since this is the education she shared with her students. Bad school with very poor administration. Save your money, your child will end up hating this school.

Posted May 23, 2014

Summerville Catholic has more to offer than most schools, not everyone will agree with this statement but you will always have someone that is disgruntle with something or another. Sometimes we as parents need to learn for ourselves what is best for their child rather than listening to others unhappiness. My son went to Summerville Catholic from K5 through 8th grade. He wasn't only pushed in his academics but was allowed to pray, speak freely of God among his piers and was accepted by all, an environment any child can succeed in. I only have high regards for the school and what they gave my child through his years, thank you Summerville Catholic School!! I know as parents we don't mi

Posted May 14, 2014

We have been at Summerville Catholic School for many years and will be graduating this year. I am very pleased with the quality of education. I have been blessed for my child to be a part of the advanced curriculum which allows a strong math student to leave SCS with either an Algebra I or Geometry I credit. We have enjoyed the strong sense of community and family. Our school is does a good job of fostering a well rounded student. Yes, we have had bumps along the way but that is what life is about. I find if the proper channels are taken first with the teacher and then if needed with the principal a resolution can be met. I feel that SCS has been a positive influence on my child.

Posted May 14, 2014

I love this school! Our family has been at SCS since 2002 and our youngest is now in Jr. High. If you are looking for a family friendly school with strong Christian values and high expectations in academics then come and visit Summerville Catholic. Yes, we are a small school, and we don't have unlimited resources, but we do have commited teachers and staff and many students and families who LOVE being a part of SCS.

Posted May 13, 2014

I've had a terrible experience here. The policys change monthly and discipline is treated with bias. My child is continually tells me "I wish you would have sent me to public school", the rules change too often, the teachers are biased, adminstration has gone downhill, education (specifically in social studies) is very poor. My child doesn't even know the Star Spangled Banner. This is unacceptable. Go elsewhere

Posted March 28, 2014

Avoid SCS and go elsewhere. After 7 years there we are moving our kids to public school. There are a few good teachers which we re thankful for, but each year at least one of our 3 kids had a horrible experience. Bullying is downplayed and things that would get a kid kicked out of public school are treated with only minor punishment. The academics are on a downhill spiral. My son questioned an answer, providing multiple examples of why his was correct, and the teacher told him "that's not what the answer key says." Critical thinking is apparently not a skill they wish to foster in this school. They've had a new Spanish teacher almost every year and start over each time. There's no real advanced GATE-like program for bright kids, which is a shame. Extracurricular activities are few and far between. One boy has spit on, hit, choked, kicked, scratched and drew blood with different kids and he's still there. I told a Dorch II district rep this story and she said he would have been expelled from public school a long time ago. Check out the dates on the good reviews and read the recent ones from parents. All signs point to an admin failure with no change in sight.

Posted March 9, 2014

Poor, it is quite sad due to the former prestige of this establishment. While my child was in first to third I had no complaints. After that, however, I do believe that it has gone downhill. My child is in eighth grade now, and believes that it is miserable to go to this school. The teachers are somewhat engaging but I was very surprised when my son lacked basic knowledge of USA history and seemed to have a better understanding of Latin history. I do remember the days when my child was joyful coming home from school, alas those days are over. Unsatisfactory, poor monitoring of bullying, very strange use of rules,and overall, very poor. Limited Resources. Very disappointied. (2014)

Posted November 8, 2013

I learned more as a student teacher at this school than I could from any book. These students are being geared toward success by a fine, caring staff.

Posted August 21, 2013

I would highly recommend this school to anyone wanting a quality education for their children. The teachers ARE compassionate, they do have and express Catholic morals and values, I have never experienced or witnessed the faculty ignoring any issue that needed attention. I have NEVER been ignored by any staff member, they are very courteous, kind and sincere. I'm not sure where the" problem teachers year after year" are but I haven't seen one in 4 years and we are current with the school. teachers do tailor the lessons to individual kids who may be struggling, in addition they offer other teachers aids to help students who may need extra assistance. This a great Catholic school, education with God the father included, great staff, great kids, friendly atmosphere, you will feel welcome here.

Posted July 6, 2013

SCS really seems to care. The school advisory board sponsored many opportunities for parents to be active and share their ideas. The teachers are willing to work with students and their families for success.

Posted April 24, 2013

Parental concerns are given the impression that they're being addressed, but are swept under the rug. Teachers lack compassion and do not offer struggling students help. Student body severely lacks the values and morals of the Catholic faith. Poor lunch program. Parents responsibility to transport children on field trips. Numerous families pulled out mid school year. That's a definite red flag.

Posted March 25, 2013

If your child is in the lower elementary K4-1, good teachers but any older I would avoid. If you look at the dates of the reviews, you will notice they are all very old. None are recent. There is a reason for this! Look elsewhere.

Posted March 25, 2013

This school remains on a downhill slide. If you are looking for a school stuck in the Middle Ages where parental concerns are ignored, issues with problem teachers continue year after year, and differential learning is discussed but not actually effectuated, this is the school for you.

Posted August 7, 2009

We love this school! Plenty of communication between teachers with parents. Lots of sports programs offered for a range of ages. Offer Spanish, scouts, before and after school program, great summer camp offered. Beautiful school grounds with large grassy soccer fields, pavilion, nice playground. School offers a carnival in the spring, a circus presented by the pre K and K5 students, all Saints Parade, Pet Blessing. Mass every Wednesday (with exception of K4). Hot lunch offered. Uniforms. School has website where homework is posted along with all teachers' and principals emails are listed. School puts out a weekly newsletter that can be e-mailed directly to you. Children are encouraged to participate in community outreach. Parents are required to participate in 20 hours of school service per year. High parent participation rate. PSA active in the school. Son does regularly have homework during the weekdays. Has learned so much from this school - both academically and morally. They teachers are strict but very involved with students and their progress. The hallways are usually filled throughout the year with the students' projects. Grades offered are K4-8th grade. Junior high students area is separated from the elementary school. Most of all, our son loves and insists he does not want to go anywhere else. Hope this review helps!

Posted September 28, 2008

I have been a parent at summerville caholic for 10 years and i am very satified. The teachers are very nice and coorpative and the students are very polite!! You will not be making a mistake if your child comes here. The principle is very involved as are the parents. You wont be disapointed!!! (trust me)

Posted May 22, 2007

My son went to this school from kindergarten (no K4 program at that time), through 8th grade. The school prepared him very well for high school. He was involved in the elementary choir and the Jr High Musical group. There is a quality before/afterschool care and a summer program. High level of parental involvement, our family has made lifelong friends. Excellent caring teachers, You can not ask for a better education or environment!

Posted March 14, 2005

Summerville Catholic is a great school! I have noticed our school is advanced in subjects compared to the public schools. Students can learn in a safe environment. extracurricular activities are available, golf, basketball, baseball, soccer, singing saints . Parent involvement is exceptional and thats what I think helps to make our school so great. Our principal is involved with the students ,he is great with them and a great example to them. You wont be disapointed with SUMMERVILLE CATHOLIC. it has everything to offer your children that you want and expect for them plus more.

Posted November 1, 2004

Very Good Having been at this School for over 11 years one can see the good and bad. Overall this school has prepared my children for life after high school in a loving environment. My children have excelled under the very capable teachers at this school.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 1%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Charleston

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

226 Black Oak Boulevard