Summerville, SC
Before care: Yes

Posted November 12, 2014
We left SCS this year and went to public school instead. My middle schooler still asks me if something is a city or a state or a country? I heard that history teaching was a problem but he always got good grades so I didn't question it. Now he can't even identify basic places on a US map. My other two children just LOVE the public school. My middle child dreaded going to school each day, to the point of tears sometimes. Now each day we ask how school was he says AWESOME! I can tell that not only is he getting good grades, but he is LEARNING and his teachers are responsive to parental questions and concerns. Bullying is the last thing on our minds in the Dorchester elementary schools, whereas we had SEVERAL reported problems at SCS with no resolution. Yes, they pray at SCS and preach Catholic values. However, they fail to live them. My children all saw the hypocrisy and we discussed it over dinner several times. I can get my religion for free at church and a better education elsewhere. We have never been happier in our decision to leave. More than the cost of the school we regret having exposed our children to such a place during their formative years.

Posted November 10, 2014
Some parents or students may not like adherence to the uniform policy. There's no drama about what to wear each morning; just choose what's appropriate for the weather. The kids are less interested in what the others are wearing and are more focused on their instruction. The uniforms are purchased through Lands End and the dress code can easily be viewed that way. There is a wide variety of winter and summer clothes to choose from. Take a look at the miniskirts, see-trough items, and typed messages on things kids wear to other schools if you need a comparison.

Posted October 31, 2014
SCS is certainly a school where faith and knowledge meet! I am thrilled the children get to experience activities like the All Saints Day Mass & Parade and the Living Saints Museum. The experiments that have taken place in the science lab are amazing!

Posted October 29, 2014
We are new to SCS this year. Three months into school, we still find ourselves DAILY praising this institution. The teachers offer the students individualized instruction and are amazingly supportive and caring to both the students and the parents. Our Catholic faith is reflected in everything the school does. Each morning the children assemble together for prayer, student recognition, and song. Academics are rigorous and teacher expectations are high, assuring us that our daughter will be ready for future academic challenges. The principal is highly visible around the school and is open to ideas and suggestions. Further, the PSA is creative in the MANY activities they plan to bring the school community together; we truly feel part of a big family at SCS. We feel so blessed to have found this school!

Posted September 28, 2014
After having our child attend public school for the last couple of years in Dorchester II, we decided to send her to SCS this year and wow, what a difference. The academic standards are so much higher than public school. She's getting way more attention in her small class size - with lots of individual time. She's not "lost in the shuffle". The staff goes out of their way for the kids. This is the happiest I've seen her. I've had lunch with her at school to see her in the environment, and noted how involved the principal is with all the kids too. I'm so impressed.

Posted August 26, 2014
This school seems to allow bullying. And the education is terrible. The staff and students here are extremely mean.

Posted August 19, 2014
If you would like your child to receive a poor education experience, this place sure is the place to send them. This school used to be great until the 2008 - 2009 school year. Since then it seems as if the staff has been getting worse and worse, lacking basic teaching skills. In Spanish they teach you the same thing each year. Social studies is flat out terrible, you don't even learn basic US history. Music is a disgrace considering that I'm in marching band, they don't even have a band program, what a shame! Bullying has also been a major issue here and the staff has never stepped in to correct the behavior of the student body, I thought this was a Catholic school! Another word of advice: The staff treats the middle school kids as if they are back in the elementary level. This school is so bad I don't know what else to say. Once again, I ask that anyone looking for a K4-8th school in the Summerville area should avoid this school. Save your money!

Summerville Catholic School 4

Posted August 10, 2014
This will be our 13th year at SCS, one child has graduated and one is now in Jr. High. I've just read some of the previous reviews and don't recognize the school they're talking about. Each morning,after prayer, the students recite the Pledge of Allegiance. World and US History are taught, it's part of the curriculum! Granted, music was not a part of Jr. High studies, but I was OK with that, this year music will be offered to the middle school students. My child is in a caring, safe, friendly and academically challenging environment! If you're looking for a private/parochial school in Summerville, come and check out SCS for yourself.

Posted June 27, 2014
I believe my child has been hurt by attending this school. The school has been heading downhill for the past several years. Bullying has been a constant problem which has never been dealt with sternly, thereby allowing it to thrive. teacher quality is not what it was and continues to get worse. My child, who recently completed eight grade, knows nothing about world or US history... Except for Latin American history. This is because there is no history class, but there is a mandatory Spanish class. Although the Spanish teacher has changed each of the past several years, in each instance the teacher is Mexican and the children learn about Mexican holidays, independence, etc but not US history. There is no music curriculum for middle school children. None. The children complete middle school without knowing either the Pledge of Allegiance or the National Anthem. Some teachers are great, most border on incompetent. I know, for instance, how many failed relationships the English teacher had this year (four) since this is the education she shared with her students. Bad school with very poor administration. Save your money, your child will end up hating this school.

Posted May 23, 2014
Summerville Catholic has more to offer than most schools, not everyone will agree with this statement but you will always have someone that is disgruntle with something or another. Sometimes we as parents need to learn for ourselves what is best for their child rather than listening to others unhappiness. My son went to Summerville Catholic from K5 through 8th grade. He wasn't only pushed in his academics but was allowed to pray, speak freely of God among his piers and was accepted by all, an environment any child can succeed in. I only have high regards for the school and what they gave my child through his years, thank you Summerville Catholic School!! I know as parents we don't mi

Summerville Catholic School
226 Black Oak Boulevard, Summerville, SC  29485
Last modified Summerville Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Summerville Catholic School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top