Posted March 09, 2015
our daughter attended the great local public schools for K5 and 1st grade and we moved her to SCS for 2nd grade. Imagine my amazement in the level of growth we have seen in her. Her reading had improved tremendously and her math skills bury those of her public school peers. Being involved in everything from school soccer to arts programs and everywhere in between, plus the individualized attention she gets from her teachers in the small student ratio, makes me never doubt our decision to send her to SCS. The teachers care about those students to an incredible degree. I'm impressed at the religious knowledge she's gained. But most of all, I love seeing her interacting with her peers. So many good kids have become such good friends, both inside and outside of school. I would recommend SCS to anyone who wants their child to receive a quality education with great team building additional activities to participate in.

Posted February 27, 2015
So happy we chose Summerville Catholic for our family! Great teachers, wonderful front office staff, and a warm welcoming community.

Posted February 26, 2015
In a world of many choices, I am glad that we chose SCS for our family. Although it is hard for anyone or anything to be everything to everybody, it is nice to know that our family is part of the SCS family and community. Like a family, we look out for each other and look for what is best for our children. It is nice to know my child is receiving a wonderful education. Like anything,I found that if we do our part, homework, have great attendance, participate in extra activities, we receive the most from our school. I am proud to be a part of such a close, loving, faith based, and academic community.

Summerville Catholic School 2

Posted February 23, 2015
After 4 years at SCS, we finally realized that the "superior private school education" that we thought we were paying for, was not that at all. We really wanted our son to receive a religious education, but it was not worth the anxiety and frustration we experienced with the other issues. After some VERY serious issues with our son were continually swept under the rug by the administration, we moved him to a public school. We were immediately shocked to discover that he was behind on several subjects. This had nothing to do with the teachers at SCS (who were amazing for the most part) and everything to do with the administration and the curriculum, as well as the apparent "takeover" of the school by a very aggressive group of "mean moms". Thankfully, we have been able to catch our son up, in just a short time, hopefully he doesn't suffer as he continues. Please research other options before "settling".

Posted February 20, 2015
Love this school. We enrolled our son in the K4 program with intent to move him out to public. We fell in love with the family atmosphere. My son is in K5 now and is reading 2nd level books, testing at 100%. I highly recommend this school.

Summerville Catholic School 1

Posted November 12, 2014
We left SCS this year and went to public school instead. My middle schooler still asks me if something is a city or a state or a country? I heard that history teaching was a problem but he always got good grades so I didn't question it. Now he can't even identify basic places on a US map. My other two children just LOVE the public school. My middle child dreaded going to school each day, to the point of tears sometimes. Now each day we ask how school was he says AWESOME! I can tell that not only is he getting good grades, but he is LEARNING and his teachers are responsive to parental questions and concerns. Bullying is the last thing on our minds in the Dorchester elementary schools, whereas we had SEVERAL reported problems at SCS with no resolution. Yes, they pray at SCS and preach Catholic values. However, they fail to live them. My children all saw the hypocrisy and we discussed it over dinner several times. I can get my religion for free at church and a better education elsewhere. We have never been happier in our decision to leave. More than the cost of the school we regret having exposed our children to such a place during their formative years.

Posted November 10, 2014
Some parents or students may not like adherence to the uniform policy. There's no drama about what to wear each morning; just choose what's appropriate for the weather. The kids are less interested in what the others are wearing and are more focused on their instruction. The uniforms are purchased through Lands End and the dress code can easily be viewed that way. There is a wide variety of winter and summer clothes to choose from. Take a look at the miniskirts, see-trough items, and typed messages on things kids wear to other schools if you need a comparison.

Posted October 31, 2014
SCS is certainly a school where faith and knowledge meet! I am thrilled the children get to experience activities like the All Saints Day Mass & Parade and the Living Saints Museum. The experiments that have taken place in the science lab are amazing!

Posted October 29, 2014
We are new to SCS this year. Three months into school, we still find ourselves DAILY praising this institution. The teachers offer the students individualized instruction and are amazingly supportive and caring to both the students and the parents. Our Catholic faith is reflected in everything the school does. Each morning the children assemble together for prayer, student recognition, and song. Academics are rigorous and teacher expectations are high, assuring us that our daughter will be ready for future academic challenges. The principal is highly visible around the school and is open to ideas and suggestions. Further, the PSA is creative in the MANY activities they plan to bring the school community together; we truly feel part of a big family at SCS. We feel so blessed to have found this school!

Summerville Catholic School 1

Posted August 26, 2014
This school seems to allow bullying. And the education is terrible. The staff and students here are extremely mean.

Summerville Catholic School
226 Black Oak Boulevard, Summerville, SC  29485
Last modified Summerville Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Summerville Catholic School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top