Fort Dorchester Elementary School 2

Posted November 12, 2014
What should I do? My child is in Kindergarden right now, the other day he told his teacher squeeze his shoulder really hard just to try to get him stay in line, he told that he almost cry. I also put my child in Extended Day, but feel like being discriminated, because the other day when trying to pay, I was charged $60 for full time stay even though my child had couple day absent, while the policeman get charge $28 dollar for the hours that his daughter has went even though he said that his daughter is a full time. I don't think the policeman is any special than me, I'm a businessman and had to pay a lot of tax for it, I don't think it's fair that I have to pay anymore than that . Other than that my child had a terrific year with Mrs. Gunter in 4K

Posted October 08, 2014
I hate this school. This is our first year in a public school and this school has been awful. We've had numerous problems and can't seem to get any resolve. I've asked to soak to the principal three times and she absolutely refuses to speak to me. If you have the option, DO NOT send your child here!

Fort Dorchester Elementary School 5

Posted May 11, 2014
I love this school. Both of my kids go here and have been doing wonderfully. They push academics strongly, but stay well rounded with excellent Art, Music, and PE programs. They have outside experts come in for special projects for the kids to learn. They've done a great job handling the common core curriculum. They incorporate a lot of SC and US history (social studies) into their reading curriculum to hit 2 subjects at once. The academic is wonderful with inclass science projects, language arts, amd math. My child is in GATE and i have been impressed at the level of information they have taught. The kids still have fun, too. It's not all "business" at school. They have lots of after school activities that either i corporate learning or reward it. I had to laugh at the previous review that the receptions didn't need to be working with children. She is very curt and acts like she'd rather be anywhere than there. Their last reception was super sweet. We've postponed moving so we could keep them in this school. People who are complaining about this school must be people who complain about everything!

Posted March 25, 2014
I'm military, considering this school district and I am very, very unhappy with the amount of reports I see here about bullying. I ask the principal and all teachers to immediately put an end to this and create zero tolerance policies, for teachers and students.

Posted February 13, 2014
This is the third DD2 school my child has gone to, and by miles the worst. The school is constantly pushing for test scores over actual learning. If a child is struggling in a subject they give you two options " get a diagnosis" or "find help elsewhere".

Fort Dorchester Elementary School 5

Posted January 19, 2014
I absolutely love FDES! I have 2 children that attend here and they love going to school. We moved from out of state and Fort Dorchester is so much more organized than their previous school. They recognize and celebrate the childrens achievements all the time. The teachers are wonderful and I have not had a problem with communication. You can see the difference it makes to have such dedicated parents, staff, and volunteers. The school is much larger than our previous school, but the class sizes are smaller. I volunteer weekly and the principals are always stopping in a class or are visible within the schools. My only complaint would be the receptionist, you can tell she doesn't belong around children. Not very pleasant or friendly. Keep up the great work FDES!

Posted September 30, 2013
Get your children off those broken down buses, put them back in your car and go to another school. The kids are great at this school and some of the teachers are too. Though finding well-trained, devoted staff here is like an Easter egg hunt. I agree 150% with the other parents; there is enormous pressure to pass standardized tests and to put on a good show so the school could finally win a Palmetto award. But for what?! The kids don't get field trips, sports, iPads or anything else they claim the students should receive. They issue students passing grades and parents are fooled into what learning they think took place. There is a reason that SC has the highest rate of high school drop outs year after year. There is a huge turnover of staff here. There is a large problem with bullying and the staff overlook it. There is very inconsistent communication from the school. Try reaching your teacher and you may wait a while, if you get a reply at all. This school has great difficulty following their own district's policies and make excuses for not doing so. And you want these people modeling leadership for our children??! Do yourself and your children a favor and run!!

Fort Dorchester Elementary School 2

Posted September 19, 2013
Someone stated below that this school is better than the Washington state school their child previously attended. Not sure how, as we just moved from there and thought this school would be on par. Not even close! This school is way over crowded and keeps getting more crowded every year. The kids just get lost in the system here and there are so many disciplinary issues that education takes a back seat. I was so happy when we moved away from SC and got our child into a better school. It's sad that this school is considered one of the best SC has to offer.

Posted September 18, 2013
My son went to this school for K-4th grade. The teachers were great but bullying is definitely a problem that is not addressed or taken care of at this school! We recently moved to another area and my son is a completely different child at his new school! Kids are much nicer and bullying is not tolerated!

Posted August 18, 2013
I have lived in this community for 10 years and both of my children went to this school. The teachers work very hard and that is the ONLY reason that this school is successful. There is a very high teacher turn over due to working under great stress and constant pressure. The administration is so focused on winning awards such as Palmetto's Finest which they tried SO hard for the last five years to FINALLY win and begged for money and free labor to improve the looks of the school all for the prestige of winning the award. My children are outstanding students and were well prepared by the teachers that they both had. They continue to succeed at Oakbrook Middle School and for that I am grateful. Kudos to all of the great teachers... you all deserve all of the credit.

Fort Dorchester Elementary School
5201 Old Glory Ln, Summerville, SC  29485
Last modified Fort Dorchester Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Fort Dorchester Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top