Posted May 01, 2013
Outstanding school for the area! Principal and teachers are excellent and discipline is great! My son is a non-native english speaker, and the Teachers and principal were VERY good with his english. He is scoring higher in math and can read at a (Scholastic Book)Level 3 by the end of his kindergarten year. Very military friendly with a great Veterans day tribute that all classes participate in! The bus commute can be tough for younger kids (30 min) but it has not been a huge problem. I was initially dubious due to past performance on the standardized testing, but for AY 11-12, Wilder was highest in the district. Dont believe the "other school hype" That was 5-10 years ago. Wilder is Soaring!

Posted November 21, 2010
I love this school. I want to address the parent comment posted September 11, 2010 about the science projects (called science fairs), it is just not true. The first science project of the year is taught in class - by every science teacher. Even those in the lower grades participate. Depending on grade level the students then do (or re-do) projects on their own the rest of the year. The research requirements go up by grade level according to a school wide rubric (scoresheet) the teachers designed. I am sorry if this parent had a bad experience, but appreciate the opportunity it gives me to clarify one of the many great (and rigorous) programs we have at Wilder.

Wilder Elementary School 2

Posted September 11, 2010
i have not been pleased with wilder. the principal is hard to read and her mood flip flops daily. the 3rd thru 5th grade does 4 science fairs in one school year. it's way too much considering the teachers have not taught them how to write research papers, and kids are just learning about the scientific method. requires lots of teaching from the parents and not the teachers. after that many projects, it makes it difficult to enjoy science experiments. thus defeating the purpose. i've observed some demeaning comments made by teachers, but not all. this is not the best school in sumter, but there are worse. i'd say it's in the middle.

Wilder Elementary School 0

Posted June 05, 2009
Wilder could be a great school but the principal needs to focus on priorities (less on personal issues and more on the school itself).

Wilder Elementary School 0

Posted September 23, 2008
My granddaughter has completed two years as a student at Wilder Elementary. She enrolled in the Pre-Kindergarten class with Mrs. Dean, who is a wonderful teacher and cares a great deal about her students. The second year she was enrolled in Mrs. Geter s class. I liked the idea that Mrs. Geter would strongly encourage the students to perform at peak levels. My granddaughter has started her third year with Mrs. Wilson who as already seen the potential in her and is providing advanced class and school work to keep her challenged. I appreciate and agree with the idea of individualized educational plans for students. Students, even though they maybe in the same grade, do not necessarily possess the same ability to grasp new concepts or comprehend material at the same rate.

Posted September 18, 2008
I love this school! This is my child's 1st year at Wilder and I just love everything so far. They really involve parents and have a wonderful program with an excellent principal.

Wilder Elementary School 3

Posted June 26, 2007
I attended this school as a child and it was wonderful. Now that my children have attended there it has been a big disappointment. There is poor leadership, reason being that issues were report to the principal by numerous parents and not much was done to take action and in return the kids suffered. For instance my child didn't receive the level of education I felt she needed to be prepared for the next grade level. The teacher didn't have a clue as to what was going on, for ex: I received notices late, incomplete information on different projects that my child had to complete, the children sometimes had more control over then the teacher.

Posted May 27, 2007
The school is great! This was the first year that our children attend Wilder, we relocated to Sumter in October 2006. Mrs.Dean was a excellent teacher whom knows how to deal with children very well, along with my daughter's teacher Mrs.Rembert whom 'We take our hat's off too!!' Our children were excited everyday to see their teachers. That is a big thing for us because we came from a big city where learning was not top priority. We done Wilder!

Wilder Elementary School 3

Posted January 13, 2007
I am pleased with the music, art, and gym at Wilder Elementary. The assistant principal and principal are questionable. I don't always agree with how they do things. I wish this school was a high academic performing school. I also wish the classroom size was smaller and the kids received more individual attention.

Wilder Elementary School 1

Posted January 07, 2007
Wilder does have some good teachers but you can feel the tension between the teachers and the principal. Over we as parents are falling our kids by not making these things known to the board of education. The only reason Wilder is not on the same level as Alice Drive is because of its poor leadership. Wilder parents get involved in your child curriculum and speak out.

Wilder Elementary School
975 South Main St, Sumter, SC  29150
Last modified Wilder Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5
Wilder Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews.