Sumter, SC

Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted June 30, 2015
Well, homework is questionable. I do know my boys get/got grades for it. They are athletes and pretty much attend study hall 3/4 of the year, so it was done prior to getting home. I appreciate the study hall time for athletes.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 30, 2015
BMS has two GREAT programs Young Women of Standard (I think is the name) ran by the guidance counselor and Bates Men of Purpose ran by one of the football coaches. Both my sons and nephew have been apart of the young men's club. Honesty, integrity and fairness are in their pledge and evident in the activities they have done.

Bates Middle School 4

Posted June 30, 2015
My first experience with BMS was the 2013-2014 school year. We moved here by means of the military. The first six months were a bit hard, but once I got more involved and expressed my thoughts concerning my children at the school, I saw a difference and felt more comfortable with my children being here. Most of the teachers who I have felt with have a great parent teacher working relationship when problems or concerns come up. This school does so many fun activities with the students. They welcome and encourage parent involvement! There is so much I could say. This will be our last school year with them.

Bates Middle School 5

Posted May 02, 2013
Bates is great! New administration with a hard working staff. The discipline/behavior of the students is wonderful.Very hard working teachers and students!

Posted July 17, 2011
My son has been at Bates Middle School for 6th and 7th grade and we are now entering 8th grade. With this experience I think overall the academic teaching capabilities of the teachers is unsatisfactory. The class size at this school us too larger to reach individual students and the teachers don't seem to care to make contact with students anyway. I'm not sure what the exact problem is at this school, but everyone should stay away from BMS if at all possible. You will be disappointed if you send your child here!

Posted December 15, 2010
I have taught in elementary and middle schools during my career as a teacher and the leadership at this school is by far the least effective I have ever worked under. There are few if any classroom visits by the principal or assistants, the students are undisciplined and wild at times due to that same lack of visibility by administration, there is someone on the administrative staff making educational decisions that doesn't even have a degree in education, we are pulled every which way by Making Middle Grades Work, the IB Middle Years Program, single gender homerooms, district consolidation, staffing cuts, no supplies or money, budget cuts and big classes, and on and on and still expected to provide effective instruction. Due to these and more teacher morale in is the sewer. What else needs to be said.

Bates Middle School 5

Posted May 15, 2010
I love Bates because most of the children are awesome. They want to learn but are sometimes side-tracked and distracted by the ones that could not care less about an education. We recently were accredited to be an MYP school , which will be a plus for the students giving them the international awareness they will need to succeed in future years and clean up tghe mess we have made.

Posted May 05, 2010
As a teaher at Bates Middle School, there are a few things I feel must be addressed. Academically, Bates offers an outstanding educational opportunity for each student. We, as teachers, are very involved with our students' progress in the curriculum. Our problems lie within our leadership. Our principal is not supportive of staff and barely has any kind of relationship with the students. She does not speak to faculty or students and she is rather aloof. Of course, that characteristic is not something you should see in a middle school principal. Our problem lies even deeper though. Many teachers have been to the district office in order to notify the superintendant and director of human resources about the poor conduct of the leadership and poor school atmosphere. Nothing has ever happened. How can we as educators address the concerns from parents when we, ourselves have no support?

Posted April 16, 2010
I read the review from February 21 and wanted to add my own one. I went to see my daughter at lunch last month and when I went in the cafeteria I was shocked at the behavior and noise. The students were out of control and the principal and an assistant were sitting there watching like nothing was going on and not doing anything to stop it. Children were up and running around everywhere in the cafeteria. I did not think this was acceptable behavior but my child said it is like that every day.

Posted February 21, 2010
My son attended Bates for about two months before we removed him. If you want to know what's going on, have lunch with your student and walk the halls. They have lots of rules that are not enforced in any way. There are teachers who try very hard, but you can tell they are discouraged. There are also teachers who don't try at all. In my opinion, the discipline situation is out of control.

715 Estate St, Sumter, SC  29150