Sumter, SC

Posted May 02, 2013
Bates is great! New administration with a hard working staff. The discipline/behavior of the students is wonderful.Very hard working teachers and students!

Posted July 17, 2011
My son has been at Bates Middle School for 6th and 7th grade and we are now entering 8th grade. With this experience I think overall the academic teaching capabilities of the teachers is unsatisfactory. The class size at this school us too larger to reach individual students and the teachers don't seem to care to make contact with students anyway. I'm not sure what the exact problem is at this school, but everyone should stay away from BMS if at all possible. You will be disappointed if you send your child here!

Posted December 15, 2010
I have taught in elementary and middle schools during my career as a teacher and the leadership at this school is by far the least effective I have ever worked under. There are few if any classroom visits by the principal or assistants, the students are undisciplined and wild at times due to that same lack of visibility by administration, there is someone on the administrative staff making educational decisions that doesn't even have a degree in education, we are pulled every which way by Making Middle Grades Work, the IB Middle Years Program, single gender homerooms, district consolidation, staffing cuts, no supplies or money, budget cuts and big classes, and on and on and still expected to provide effective instruction. Due to these and more teacher morale in is the sewer. What else needs to be said.

Posted May 15, 2010
I love Bates because most of the children are awesome. They want to learn but are sometimes side-tracked and distracted by the ones that could not care less about an education. We recently were accredited to be an MYP school , which will be a plus for the students giving them the international awareness they will need to succeed in future years and clean up tghe mess we have made.

Posted May 05, 2010
As a teaher at Bates Middle School, there are a few things I feel must be addressed. Academically, Bates offers an outstanding educational opportunity for each student. We, as teachers, are very involved with our students' progress in the curriculum. Our problems lie within our leadership. Our principal is not supportive of staff and barely has any kind of relationship with the students. She does not speak to faculty or students and she is rather aloof. Of course, that characteristic is not something you should see in a middle school principal. Our problem lies even deeper though. Many teachers have been to the district office in order to notify the superintendant and director of human resources about the poor conduct of the leadership and poor school atmosphere. Nothing has ever happened. How can we as educators address the concerns from parents when we, ourselves have no support?

Posted April 16, 2010
I read the review from February 21 and wanted to add my own one. I went to see my daughter at lunch last month and when I went in the cafeteria I was shocked at the behavior and noise. The students were out of control and the principal and an assistant were sitting there watching like nothing was going on and not doing anything to stop it. Children were up and running around everywhere in the cafeteria. I did not think this was acceptable behavior but my child said it is like that every day.

Posted February 21, 2010
My son attended Bates for about two months before we removed him. If you want to know what's going on, have lunch with your student and walk the halls. They have lots of rules that are not enforced in any way. There are teachers who try very hard, but you can tell they are discouraged. There are also teachers who don't try at all. In my opinion, the discipline situation is out of control.

Posted November 09, 2009

Posted June 09, 2009
Great teachers, bad administration! The teachers try hard but Bates has gone far downhill over the past two years. My daughter was an 8th grader this past year and I was very disappointed at the direction the school is taking. Dr. Lancaster, the principal, is not involved in the school like the previous one was. My daughter says she never speaks to students and never comes in classrooms to see what is going on. Some kids don't even know who she is. The students say she acts like she is better than everyone else there and talks down to people. The teachers tell the classes that money is short and so they can't make copies of worksheets and the like but the office areas have new furniture and carpets. Something is wrong there and I am glad that my daughter is going to the high school next year.

Bates Middle School 2