Sumter High School 1

Posted November 05, 2013
I agree with the parent post Nov 2012. We are actually new to Sumter and had lived around the globe and from my experience Sumter HS is by far one of the Worse experiences! The overall education level in Sumter appears lower than many other places. Many of the teachers my children had to endure at Sumter HS are totally unprofessional! Sadly we are here due to military purposes otherwise I would never consider such a down grade! Can't wait to leave this school system and the city. Children definitely DESERVE better than what is being offered. Good luck to the locals!

Sumter High School 2

Posted November 12, 2010
For those parents who have never lived outside of Sumter, this school may be what they think as good. Having lived in other areas around the US, I can tell you that it is very weak in many areas from my observations. On the few times I have come to visit the office, I have seen students wandering aimlessly in the halls and witnessed horrible behavior and profanity right in front of the office personnel with absolutely nothing said to the students! If there were a better option for my son, I would take it without thinking twice.

Posted August 16, 2010
I have attended sumter high and i have also been to crestwood high. I must say that Sumter high is a better school by FAR!! The staff, and the overall atmosphere is better. Also sumter high has more to offer as far as extra curricular activities and clubs. On a scale from 1-10 i give it a 15!!

Sumter High School 4

Posted April 08, 2010
We are a military family and our kids have been to schools in CA, NV, AL, and ID. School District 17 and Sumter High School are the best we have participated in. I disagree with the school not being military friendly. If you explain requirements and maintain contact with the coundelors, they will bend over backwards to ensure your child graduates. We checked out Crestwood, Lakewood, and two local provate schools and SHS offerred the best mix of academics, extracurricular, and teacher involvement. Recommend District 17 and SHS for the best local education.

Posted July 18, 2009

Posted September 29, 2008
This is the best school that has ever been built! Of course it has its downside but hey who dosent. I had the best time of my life at this school. It prepares you for the real world trust me. Im now an Sports Facilitator Director for the NFL and I owe that to my alma mater SHS! Thanks and continue to turn out productive students!

Posted September 12, 2008
I am a 2008 graduate of Sumter High School. SHS is the best school ever. Some say it may get a little crazy but you WILL get an education. The teachers and students are great people. There are a lot of clubs to get invovled in, and the SHS Sports Program is the BEST! GO GAMECOCKS!

Sumter High School 1

Posted April 21, 2008

Sumter High School 4

Posted August 09, 2007
- a former student
I attended Sumter High for my freshman and sophomore year, and I loved it! Sumter High has so many different opportunities for students. Yea its crowded, but that's what happens when there is only one high school in your district, but other than the large capacity in the classes the school is great. The fact that they have so many options to whether you want to go to college or you just want to get a job after high school you have the choice. Plus, with the career center it helps students figure out what they want to do once they graduate and not be bums. So I just want to say that Sumter High is a great academic learning school!

Sumter High School 3

Posted July 03, 2007
I moved in the middle of the school year and now attend Sumter High. It hasn't been a very..pleasant experience as I have had many problems. My dad is in the military and so we had no other choice but to move and, as mentioned before, Sumter is a military city, but Sumter High does not do a very good job of supporting it. Block scheduling completely messed up my credits, forcing me to retake all of my core classes at the risk of failing. Also, I feel the school is too crowded and has too many disipline problems. I don't feel safe at my own school and since I do spend most of my time there, I feel security is a necessity.

Sumter High School
2580 McCray's Mill Rd, Sumter, SC  29154
Last modified Sumter High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12
Sumter High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews.