Bad
Good

Posted November 18, 2014
I LOVE this school. We are in the middle of my daughter's second year attending OPS, and have had great luck here. Both teachers, as well as teacher aides have gone out of their way to help foster a love of learning for their students. I feel that the homework and school work is pushing my child just enough that she is loving school, but not overwhelmed. She is excited to go to school and is excelling. I can't ask for much more. This year we have also reached out for extra help with speech and the process has been fairly painless. I feel that all of the staff we have dealt with strive to make things go as smoothly as possible.

Posted January 31, 2014
Is this even a schools ? Felt like i am sending my kids to a prison. Pulled my kid within 6 mths and moved him to kingsbury . So happy with my decision.

Oakland Elementary School 3

Posted September 20, 2012
The Principal in the school seems to make her own guidelines and then infer they are the "District or States" policies. I have verbal and written verification that she has told a face to face untruth to myself and seems to be all others at the school.There are a lot of really good teachers there but when they are foillowing self made policies(made by Ms.Tomlin) then it gives an err of inability.The safety and overall cleanliness are very good. Leadership is the thing thats needed the most at Oakland. Parental involvement could be stronger also. I beleive if the parent wasnt made to pay for the SLED background check then the Parental issue would be minimized.

Posted April 25, 2012
Time and time again I walk out of this school infuriated with the behavior of the teachers and staff. There are a few exceptions, but there is no respect for the children by most of the teachers. I have heard name calling from teachers to students and every time I volunteer I feel terrible for the kids. The principal will listen to your problems, but do nothing about it.. Nothing will change because nobody there wants to change. The kids are raised to disrespect people since the teachers show them by their example. If you can afford private schools do it!!!

Oakland Elementary School 2

Posted July 06, 2007
My son has attenended this school for three years. The first two were a very good experience. The third was not. It seemed like we were home schooling him. They put much pressure on the parents for the students success. The parents really have to step up at home if the student falls behind. We are lucky. My wife and I have time to help him. Some other families may not have the rescources. I hope that my son gets more out of the school next year. We will have to consider private school if he doesn't. My wife and I are not school teachers. Maybe it was just a bad year. Like I said, the first two were good.

Posted June 26, 2007
Great experience for my child! Outstanding staff and curriculum. Definitely 2 thumbs up!

Posted March 13, 2007
Oakland is a great school. I am very happy to have my children attend such a warm and inviting place. The administrators, teachers and staff are truly concerned about the students. I love how the administrators greet and get the students out of the cars in the mornings.

Posted February 03, 2007
My child went here for pre k for special needs children for just 6 weeks. They acted like they didn't have time to treat her properly so I put my daughter in a private school until we can move. I say run away from this school. I don't think I would even leave my dog there, let alone my child!

Oakland Elementary School 4

Posted September 19, 2006
I am very satisfied with the school as a whole. I had heard a lot of things about Oakland through friends and the other reviews online. Most comments were negative. I was nervous at first, but I sent my daughter to school anyway, she started Kindergarten. I am vert pleased with my childs, teacher. I had a problem with another child harassing my child. I told the teacher and she was on top of the problem, and got it resolved very quickly. For a whole the school has been a wonderful experience, and I totally feel secure with my child attending there as long as she can. They are a safe, friendly environment and I recommend highly to people to send their children to Oakland.

Oakland Elementary School 3

Posted July 22, 2006
I was not satisfied with how the principal responded to the issues that I had with my son's teacher concerning his progress. The principal totally disregarded anything that I had to say about the issues, constantly took up for the teacher, and ignored my requests to 'look' into the issues. The teacher was not really open to parental visitations during the school day which I feel is very important. It was like it truly bothered her that you actually came to the school and interrupted her lesson.

Oakland Elementary School
5415 Oakland Dr, Sumter, SC  29154
Last modified Oakland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-1
Oakland Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top