No rating

Wilson Hall School

Private | PK-12 | 775 students

Our school is best known for the college preparatory academics.

Living in Sumter

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $112,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $600.

Posted May 25, 2014

Our middle school daughter has attended Wilson Hall since the first grade. We have been extremely pleased with her education and are amazed by her growth and progress. As a new family, to not only the school but to the town of Sumter six years ago, we were welcomed into the Wilson Hall Family with open arms. As clich 'as it sounds, Wilson Hall truly is a family. It is a family comprised of dedicated students, parents, teachers, administrators and staff working together, and it is amazing to see what this small school can accomplish! Watching how hard these students work toward a goal, whether it is in academics, the performing arts, or in sports, is inspiring! At Wilson Hall the students are learning so much more than just a college preparatory curriculum, they are learning how to be respectful, responsible, goal oriented young adults who will make future contributions to society - preparation for life beyond campus. I highly recommend visiting Wilson Hall if you are looking for a quality education in a safe, friendly environment

Posted May 22, 2014

We are a military family and choosing the right school is our top priority when we have to relocate. After researching the local high schools in the Sumter area Wilson Hall surpassed them all. Wilson hall offers a phenomenal and challenging college preparatory curriculum. There is an honor code which reflects the safe and friendly learning environment. Teacher to student ratio allows the teacher time to dedicate to individual student needs. The latest in technology such as LCD projectors, computers, smart-boards, Ipads etc.., are used to enhance the learning experience. This year Wilson hall had two National Merit Finalists. They are the only two in this area. Also this year 96% of the graduates received $4.4 million in scholarships. A variety of music, dram, art, and extracurricular activities are offered. This year Wilson Hall has won eight SCISA Championships in football, girls bowling, baseball, softball, chess, drama, debate, and literary meet. No school in this area can compare to the excellence here at Wilson Hall. I would highly recommend any military family coming to the area to explore Wilson Hall as an option for your child. I'm sure you will chose Wilson Hall.

Posted May 20, 2014

I have been exceptionally pleased with my son's education at Wilson Hall. The school stresses traditional educational values in a friendly environment with small classes and no discipline problems. With an average of 15-20 students in a high school classroom, the teachers can individualize lessons in ways that would be impossible in a larger setting. Although every classroom is equipped with smart boards, LCD projectors, wifi, etc., the school remains focused on skills such as reading, math, science, critical thinking, and problem solving. The technology supports the education instead of substituting for it. WH graduates have the highest GPA of all SC high schools that sent students to USC. The AP classes are taught to national standards, not local ones like the community "college classes" offered at some area schools. There are a wide variety of art, music, drama, and language classes and many athletic opportunities. Recent and current graduates are attending: West Point, UVA, Duke, UNC, Vanderbilt, Univ of Chicago, Carnegie Mellon, NC State, and Purdue, to name a few. This year the school had two National Merit finalists - the only ones in the area.

Posted May 13, 2014

Academics are the very last thing this school considers important. For example, 30 yr old text books, ABSOLUTELY no technology (and no interest in it), and NO professional development are completely accepted at this overblown school. If you are interested in indoctrinating your children in a system based mediocrity and appearances only (i.e. the "right clothes," hairstyles, etc., this is the school for your children. We moved here (military family) two years ago having lived all over the world, and we can most accurately state that this is the MOST BACKWARDS SCHOOL our children have ever attended - hands down.

Posted November 20, 2013

When I was looking for schools for my children, Wilson Hall immediately caught my attention. I grew up in Sumter and had heard all of the stereotypes about the Wilson Hall student. All it took to break that image was one stroll through the hallways. The environment was welcoming, comfortable, and family-like. After a quick glance at the flyers, art, and student work on the walls, it was easy to see that Wilson Hall builds its prestigious reputation not only on a challenging academic curriculum, but also on its ability to cater to any student's strengths. Wilson Hall's extra curricular clubs and activities have expanded exponentially since I've been sending my children. From art, to drama, to sports, to Legos, Wilson Hall has provided a safe, encouraging environment where both of my children have grown to love learning and being a Baron!

Posted October 23, 2013

I have 2 children who have graduated Wilson Hall. I have one who is a sophmore this year. I can assure you that they not only have , and are, recieving an excellent education, their overall high school experience has been nothing short of outstanding. The administration and faculty are second to none and they have excellent extra-curricular activities. Their athletic teams are quite competitive and have won many state championships. The curriculum is demanding and all who attend are expected to be accepted into a four year college or university. The campus has great facilities and the tuition is very reasonable. One visit to the campus will verify what i have stated above.

Posted October 17, 2013

We have been very pleased with Wilson Hall for our daughter. We are a military family, and it is somewhat challenging to find a new school with each move that meets our expectations, yet Wilson Hall has done this. They made sure that we were well aquainted with the school through tours, counselor meetings, and having a mentor family before school started, which helped with the anxiety of starting at a new place. I know that she is well prepared to head off to college thanks to the teachers, counselors, and staff who truly do support the school and the children. Also, the class sizes are very manageable so the teacher is able to give each student the attention they need. I would definetly recommend Wilson Hall!

Posted October 3, 2013

It is hard to imagine a better environment for students of all ages. The teachers are hands on and encourage involvement from the parents who particpate in amazing numbers. There is no school in the area, private or public, that can be objectively compared.

Posted September 29, 2013

I have a middle and high school student at Wilson Hall. They started Wilson Hall in K-4. I have been very pleased with the school's rigorous academic curriculum. My children are not straight "A" students, but Wilson Hall has challenged them to do their very best. Wilson Hall is preparing them for college, which is the reason I chose to send them to this school. Over the years, I have realized there is more than academics at Wilson Hall. Wilson Hall also enriches them in ethics, family values and spiritual values. Wilson Hall has become the "village" that is helping me to raise my children. Wilson Hall also has a great fine arts program and athletic program. I have framed and hung art and attended drama and chorus productions, with a great smile.(I never knew they could be so talented, because my husband and I are not talented in the arts.) Wilson Hall's athletic program is also superior. My boys enjoy sports and it is also healthy for the brain. Lastly, the teachers and faculty want your child to succeed. The headmaster, Mr. Moulton, knows every child in the school. Wilson Hall is truly a family oriented school that will prepare your child for college and life.

Posted September 18, 2013

My children came to Wilson Hall in the sixth and ninth grades. As with any transition, there are concerns if your children will be welcomed, happy, and productive. With one child now a freshman in college and the other a Wilson Hall sophomore, we realize that our decision was the best we have ever made for our children. Wilson Hall is a family, an extended family of students, faculty, staff, and parents that not only welcomed our children during the middle of their education but also nurtured them well beyond our expectations. Our children have increased in knowledge and stature, but most importantly have grown ethically and morally with a sense of passion and purpose that is an emulation of this wonderful school community.

Posted September 18, 2013

My son has attended Wilson Hall since preschool. Wilson Hall not only has an excellent academic reputation, but also championship athletic teams and award-winning fine arts programs! The school combines a balanced education with core principles of honor and respect that fully prepares students for success throughout their lives. Wilson Hall encourages students to think critically, communicate clearly, develop their individual talents, and pursue a lifelong passion for learning. In closing, Wilson Hall has a family atmosphere. There are many opportunities for family involvement. The school has many special traditions. There is no other school in the Sumter area that compares to Wilson Hall!

Posted September 17, 2013

Both of my children have attended Wilson Hall since preschool. One is in college now and has been extremely well prepared for the rigors of a biology major in college. He followed the honors track and took numerous AP classes in high school, so he had been exposed in high school to virtually all of the material he encountered his freshman year in college. My other child is following the same track and has had an excellent experience. The class sizes are small, the teachers take a personal interest in the students, the school enforces an honor code, and there are virtually no discipline problems or distractions. I like that the school fosters basic values with morning devotion, the pledge of allegiance, community service, etc. The older students interact with the younger students and set positive examples for them. The sports programs are high quality, and both of my children valued their athletic experiences very much. The families are very involved with volunteer activities at the school, and the school is very welcoming to new families.

Posted September 16, 2013

My both of my children graduated from Wilson Hall and we could not have been more pleased. The faculty is outstanding and spent ample time assisting my kids when they needed help. Not a day goes by that I don't thank everyone - from admissions to guidance, and of course, the outstanding faculty. The staff was always there to support my children. This is not an "elitist" school, but a school that embraces children and offers them a variety of choices to find their way. It is also a very well-balanced school. I have seen outstanding drama presentations and listened to beautiful choral performances. I have witnessed the best student spirit in the state at athletic events. There is something for everyone if your child wants to be prepared to stand on his/her own in college. I believe that two of the major benefits my children received by attending Wilson Hall were the creation of self-discipline and learning time management - two traits which helped facilitate success not only in college, but later in life.

Posted September 13, 2013

I was very apprehensive about transferring to a new school for my sophomore year, but my move to Wilson Hall could not have been any easier for me. The faculty welcomed me with open arms and made me feel like I had been a student there for years, and I made friends very quickly. After being at a large public school, I was surprised to find a school where the students respected the faculty, good manners were practiced, and students wanted to do well in school. I was also surprised that a smaller school could offer so much in the way of sports, like the equestrian team, to extracurricular, like the outstanding chorus. Now that I'm in college, I realize even more how valuable my Wilson Hall experience was.

Posted September 12, 2013

We are family that has moved around often. Our son only attended public schools before entering college. When we moved to Sumter we decided to send out daughter to Wilson Hall and after 4 years, have not regretted this decision. We wanted her to receive the best academic education possible. Socially, many reviews speak of "clicks" or elitism and I would agree there are clicks. However, all schools private or public struggle with this issue. We are not wealthy and our child is not in the "click", but the great thing about this school is that it doesn't matter. There is something and somebody for everyone. The classes are small and the students know all of their classmates very well. My daughter has found that even if you are not invited to hang out on weekends with certain groups, they are still nice kids and very polite to her. This is not a mean school. Wilson Hall encourages independence, pride in yourself, your education and your school. I know my child is on the path to not only being successful in college but in life. What more could a parent want?

Posted September 11, 2013

Moving from a very good public school system in Virginia, we tried the public schools in Sumter at first. What a mistake! My children were so far ahead of their classmates that they were bored. After a year we made the switch to Wilson Hall and it was the best decision we ever made. Both of my children found a challenging curriculum in an incredibly safe, nurturing learning environment. They went from hating to go to school to never wanting to miss school. Being able to play on state championship athletic teams and participate in a thriving performing arts program just enhanced their experience. My oldest child received a very generous college scholarship and is at one of the top public universities in the nation, and I attribute this to his experience at Wilson Hall.

Posted September 10, 2013

I attended Wilson Hall from preschool until 12th grade and I had an amazing experience. Although I no longer attend and am in college I still call Wilson Hall home. Teachers truly care and work to help you be successful. I'm overly prepared in college and am so thankful for my years at Wilson Hall. Being a part of the Wilson Hall family is a special thing and one that really made a mark on my life. I would recommended Wilson Hall to anyone who was considering sending their children there. Being in an environment where you are known and loved by your teachers and facility can do nothing but allow you thrive in school in all aspects.

Posted September 4, 2013

As a military family, we moved quite often and our children attended numerous schools. Our best experience, by far, has been with Wilson Hall. It is so good, in fact, that we have chosen to retire in Sumter so that all of our children can graduate from WH. Outstanding academics, top athletic teams, a wide variety of extracurricular activities including an incredible fine arts and performing arts program - the school has it all.

Posted April 5, 2011

I expected my children to be way ahead of their peers after attending WH. They weren't. After leaving WH, my children were enrolled in two different public school systems and they were exactly on-track for "honors" students. WH teachers are using the same photo-copied worksheets & assigning the same projects that they have for the last 20 years. WH's cirriculum is behind & desperately needs to be modernized. What it comes down to is, at WH you are paying for the elitist environment. We should've enrolled our children in Millwood Elementary & Alice Drive Middle, and saved a lot of money!

Posted September 8, 2010

Wilson Hall is an excellent school with an incredible faculty and stellar leadership. They were true partners in the development of our two sons through the high school years. The academics are second to none, and we attribute the success our sons have achieved thus far in college to the challenging curriculum they had at Wilson Hall. Our sons were permitted to test themselves in the classroom and on the athletic field in a challenging and supportive environment. The friends they made are friends for life, and include many of the faculty members they grew to admire and emulate. We were blessed to have been stationed here in Sumter, and to have been fortunate enough to have experienced the family atmosphere at Wilson Hall.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 1%

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 4-year college 100% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation Clemson University
University of S.C.
College of Charleston
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Chess State Champions (2013)
  • Drama State Competition Champions (2013)
  • Debate State Competition Champions (2014)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab
  • Math club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 2:25 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Fred Moulton
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • South Carolina Independent School Assoc.
Fax number
  • (803) 469-3477

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Advanced placement courses
  • College prep
  • Honors track
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Foreign languages taught
  • French
  • Latin
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • None
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • College counselor(s)
  • Computer specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Book/reading club
  • Chess club
  • Creative Writing
  • Debate
  • Drama club
  • Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
  • Foreign language club: Latin, Spanish

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Athletic Assoc.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Clemson University
University of S.C.
College of Charleston
College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
SAT/ACT prep classes