Travelers Rest, SC

Northwest Middle School 1

Posted January 30, 2013
My daughter is at this school and I'm glad it is her last year there. There is no discipline in the school. Terrible things happen and they are covered up by the administration. The teachers I've talked to say that they are no longer allowed to discipline students in any way and that the administration doesn't either. All they do is call parents. There are fights there on a weekly basis. The kids are stressed, the scores are dropping, and the teachers are jumping ship. Something needs to change. It used to be a good school. Also, from reading some of these reviews I can't help but think they are not by real parents.

Posted July 15, 2012
My child just finished her 8th grade year at Northwest Middle. She has enjoyed her time there, and we have been pleased. The school offers several extracurricular activities/sports and a rigorous curriculum. The teachers are extremely welcoming and helpful. They offer many opportunities for extra help or enrichment. The PTA has a large group of volunteers and their presence is welcome from the faculty and administration. I highly recommend this school.

Northwest Middle School 1

Posted January 06, 2011
we need achange high up at nortwest our kids or stuck in aclass room all day wothout any fisical activity most of our kids are obese and our school does not care they will not let your kids go to the restroom when they need to either. I promise you they are doing a job they do not care one thing about your child my child was not aloud to go to the restroom even the guy at the school district started laughing when I told him somebody needed to looose thier job for making my 12 yearold son stand outside and go in his pants

Posted July 29, 2010
I had three sons go through NW and all did well. The school does the best with what it is given and truly seeks to leave no child behind. Dedicated teachers and administration.

Posted March 02, 2009

Posted September 09, 2008
The school has excellent leadership in principal Lee Givens. He is a 'strong presence' with students, expecting appropriate behavior. With me as a parent, he was very respectful and attempted to help me with my problem. The school's atmosphere is warm, with visible discipline--perfect for middle schoolers! When at the end of the year I went to his office to thank him for a good year, he nearly fainted! He said that this almost never happens. Parents, we need to do more to encourage those who are doing an exceptional job. When my son was in 6th grade, a new police officer was hired for Northwest. I asked the officer how his year was going, and he said that he had nothing to do! He raved that it was a night and day difference (a paraphrase) compared to the last school where he worked. A huge fan of Northwest

Posted May 22, 2008
my daughter goes to northwest middle and is living in a mess, the school has no control at all over anything that goes on there or on the bus. I think I am gona home school her next year.

Northwest Middle School 4

Posted April 23, 2008
Northweat is a great school! All the teachers are really great and very nice, at least as much as the next teacher. The band is the best in the nation too, literally.

Posted November 28, 2007
Over all,I would have to say the our experience at Northwest Middle has been a positive one. For the most part, the teachers my daughter has had have been excellent teachers and very caring teachers. They take a personal interest in the students who are trying hard and taking school seriously. Like most other schools, I have seen, the teachers are overwhelmed with extra curricular activities, committees, and rediculous requirements put on them by the State Dept. The teachers are under a great deal of stress to get objectives taught within the state time frame. I'm not sure how Northwest compares to other middle schools, but we have been pleased and have been happy with our child's level of progress.

Northwest Middle School
1606 Geer Hwy, Travelers Rest, SC  29690
Last modified Northwest Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Northwest Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top