No rating

Grace Christian School

Private | PK-12 | 247 students

Living in West Columbia

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $115,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $710.

Posted November 17, 2013

Terrible school. Never send your children here. The teachers are awful, the principal is worse and the curriculum is a joke. STAY AWAY!

Posted November 3, 2013

Sorry for the others but I do attend church and know many of the members! The school is a great learning atmosphere and as a parent I was also very involved with any issues my daughter had. And the principle is a sweet heart who has helped my family I also love his wife she's awesome. May God bring peace to your hearts former student that attended. May God root out the anger y'all are still carrying inside. Thank you to Grace and to my Pastor you guys mean so much and I love you all!!

Posted August 22, 2013

As a now ex student from this school, I can honestly say that Grace made the years I spent there a nightmare. The environment is toxic and superficial. The staff do not seem to care about you, only how you present yourself. If you do not agree with everything they say, then you will be blacklisted. (I witnessed a peer being ostracized simply because she did not share the same political views.) In my ninth grade health class, I was made to feel as though if you had a mental illness (such as depression or anxiety) then it was your own fault. There are many problems with unfair discipline and favoritism among the staff. The only thing decent about the school is the cirriculum and even that is made mediocre by terrible teachers. (The current math teacher has absolutely no idea what he is doing.) The only students I knew at the school who didn't feel attacked or mistreated in some way were staff kids and attendants of the church. Do yourself a favor and don't send your kids here. They will thank you.

Posted June 16, 2013

Being an ex-student of this school, i'm going to be honest. I hated every living minute of the place. For one thing, the "staff children" are treated better than the children who aren't and/or go to a different church. A personal story from me is that one day the principal found out something VERY personal about, called my parents, and DEMAND i take action and "correct myself." I now attend a public school and i feel safer and more aware of everyday life of the REAL WORLD. Grace is built inside a bubble. So unless you want your children to be taught to ignore the true facts about the world (drugs, sex, jobs, how to live in the world, opinions, etc) then sign right up. Your child is not safe, take it from a student who literally had panic attacks thanks to that place. -M

Posted February 18, 2013

Very poor atmosphere. Children whose parent that don't attend the sponsoring church or believe as they do are treated very differently. Discipline is very inconsistent where certain students receive preferential treatment. The principal seems nice but is actually just concerned with himself and how he is perceived. The education is decent not worth paying for though. Overall it's a very close minded overly conservative place that tries to control every aspect of your children's lives including what they do at home. Avoid at all costs

Posted August 17, 2012

My daughter is in her second year and learning piano & violin and we are members at Grace I love the school, pastor and many more. They are very caring and understanding. Not everyone will have the same opinion but to slander them may God have mercy on you to write those things and you proclaim to be a christian wow its really sad to see people so bitter but all we can do is pray for them. Love GBC & GCS

Posted September 2, 2011

I attended Grace for 13 years. Things haven't changed apparently as my experience mirrors the other low reviews. What many fail to bring out is that Grace is a conservative, independent fundamentalist baptist "world view" school. The doctrine and (Baptist) theology they go into during Jr & Sr high years will make or break your interest in this school. If you do not attend Grace, your child will be looked down upon as an outcast and will be subtly led to believe all family members and parents are hell bound because they do not believe the "true" doctrines they teach. Highlights of what they believe - The universe was created 6000 years ago, women may only wear loose fitting past-the-knee skirts / dresses (to wear pants/shorts will deem you backslidden), all non-creationist scientists are evil, "Mother Theresa is in hell & Billy Graham is headed there" (Direct quote from a bible teacher, "because she was Catholic"). Outward appearances are paramount regardless of spirit. True teenage struggles are NOT dealt with and you are made to feel as if you are backslidden and just need to pray "more". I was woefully ill-prepared for life outside of the baptist-conservative "bubble".

Posted March 9, 2010

I was a teacher and a parent at this school. It is one on the poorest school you ever could imagine. The high school adminstrator has no understanding of the students let alone the teachers. The new pastor is even worse. STAY AWAY !!!!

Posted February 16, 2010

I attended Grace for 14 yrs k - 12th. The education I recieved there was excellent, however, I feel that I would have had more opportunities had i gone to a public school. Many of the disciplinary actions that took place at the school were double standard, and lacked consistency. They are very narrow minded in thier views on spirituality, and often make students who are not of the 'independent baptist' denomination feel inferior, or isolated. They also try to make it seem like public schools are bad and if you go to one you will be involved with sex drugs... etc. At Grace you are not introduced to any of this, or told how to handle a situation where those things are present. If you are a parent who wishes for your child to live a sheltered life then by all means grace is the place for you...

Posted April 22, 2009

I am a parent of a child that has been at Grace for several years and I can honestly say that Grace is the only place that I would put my child for their education. Grace offers a wide variety of extracuricular activites for the students, many fine arts opportunities as well as numerous athletic programs. They provide a loving and safe environment in which the children can learn effectively. It is disappointing to read such negative reviews but please understand that these are the minority not the majority. In a time of economic struggles Grace provides a great education for your money.

Posted January 7, 2009

I am a former student of this school. I enjoyed grades 1-6 but hated every minute of Jr. high and high school. I was on the honor roll most years but I am now taking classes that I should have taken in high school at college. The principle is biggest problem. He continues ruin the school and the school board does nothing. Many parents are upset but are afraid to say anything because fear of retaliation towards their children. My younger sister recently has been taken out of the school is doing much better in public school where they treat her very kind. Stay away from this school.

Posted November 24, 2008

I attended grace from kindergarten through high school graduation. I loved my experience there, and overall am thankful I attended, but there are some things I didn't like throughout the years. The school is very legalistic, implying (but not directly saying) that you're not a Christian if you a) attend a different denominational church, b) wear pants if you're a girl, c) don't adhere to all of their rules (which they in turn are able to profess that all such rules come directly from the Bible (their interpretation of it). If you do not attend their church, you (as a student) will feel very left out and looked down upon as GBC students are given preference in many things (although no one would ever admit to this - i watched it first hand for over 13 years). Just be wary of their strict rules and condescending outlook on all things

Posted October 16, 2008

I think grace is too strict and they want to control every aspect of your life.The teachers are careing but the administration is not.I would not send my kids here.

Posted July 29, 2008

Having had two children graduate from GCS I can say that I have been pleased with educational, social and spiritual training my children have received. Their transition into college was smooth and their academic background made the transition much better. No school is perfect but I selected a school that would best mirror our world view and help us in the training of our children. Grace did that and more. My wife and I highly recommend GCS for your educational needs.

Posted September 15, 2007

I am pleased how this school year is going so far. My children enjoy going, but mind you it is still the first few weeks of school. The administration seems to be friendlier this year, which is a breath of fresh air. The teachers seem to be more open to suggestions and less moody.

Posted August 21, 2007

I just came informed of this website, and I am a little disturbed. I have been involved with this School for many years and have had few problems. I think you should take everything with a grain of salt and come to see Grace for yourself. The school is structured and loving. The teachers and administration are willing to help. Every school has problems, but I have never had a problem or concern which was not handled quickly. I would recommend this school to anyone looking for an upscale private Christian School with wonderful, loving and compassionate teachers and staff. You feel the love for God and knowing that your children are not acceptable to drugs, profanity and overall worldliness is a big relief.

Posted August 19, 2007

I have a child still at Grace and one who has graduated. I have been involved with this Christian School for 15 years and can say there have been some rough times, but mostly the school is a good one. The teachers are human and have had some problems, but overall they are compassionate to the students and the parents. The school is built on biblical views and that is reflected in the teaching of the students. They are ready for college and seem to get a really good education. I do think they should offer more electives in the high school, not just music and choir.

Posted August 16, 2007

With a new Pastor in charge,maybe now the direction of the school will be more straight forward. The school has had some hard changes the last year, and the teachers and staff seem lost. I know that ANY school you send your children to this day will have problems, but knowing that I will have a say in how my child is taught and not taught is a great comfort. I just hope that the students will along with their parents not abandon Grace.

Posted August 15, 2007

As a parent of 2 Grace graduates I have to say I would not recommend this school. The administration is more concerned about the 'outward appearance' of the students than the inward condition of their heart. It's all about looking good on the outside regardless of the struggles teenagers go through in their daily lives. There is not much grace at Grace. Some academic departments are outstanding: HS Math and Music. The HS English department is lacking in teaching how to write papers. Literature takes precedence. They teach the Bible but don't apply much love and compassion. Too judgmental and inconsistent in their discipline. Overall it was a very distasteful and hurtful experience for my children

Posted August 8, 2007

I have my children at Grace and we are looking forward to this comming school year. Each year is new changeles, but with the help of the teachers and staff I am sure things will go well for our daughter. I would not send her anywhere else. The friendships she has made are great and knowing that teachers can keep the problems to a minimun makes one less concern I have to deal with. Until Grace goes off the the deep end with their beliefs or policies we will continue to seen our child to this school

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 1%

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Baptist
Associations
  • AACS

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

416 Denham Avenue