Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

This school has a horrible administration. The teachers are good, but cannot do their job due to the poor administration. The administration is known to bully. If you have a child who is a slow learner, do not take them to this school. The administration does not support slow learners in this school. Take them to West Middle School, that is a much better place for your child to be educated.

As a military family my children have attended a variety of schools including home school for three years while stationed in Hawaii. I am amazed Southwest only has three stars. The building is newer, the academic standards are high and the overall environment helps students to flourish. I've always been an advocate to give my daughters the best education possible and this school fits the bill in all catagories. I not only speak as a parent but as a person with a dual degree in education. Upon being stationed in Rapid City, I originally sent my kids to a private Catholic school until I figured out Southwest in a hundred times better.

As a parent of four students who have attended Southwest, I must say that whoever thinks that the staff at Southwest doesn't care must be out of their minds. This is the only middle school in Rapid City that isn't in school improvement and is the only one that was named a school of distinction. High expectations are the norm in this school, but the help to be successful is over and above what you normally see. Education is a partnership, and the school does more than its' share. Maybe the few parents who are the complainers should join the team rather than criticize. As parents, we have responsibilities for education as well. Keep up tehgreat work Southwest.

I think that southwest is a wonderful school. Extraciriculars are the best with great coaches. In sixth grade especially teachers are EXTREMELY helpful. Seventh grade is a little bit faster paced but I have friends who need extra help and they get but it is their responsibility to ask for it and get it, the teachers give plenty of oppurtunities in study hall or after school. I feel completely safe and blessed to be working with experienced and fun teachers and a wonderful principle.

I totally disagree! My daughter is flourishing in this wonderful environment. I have had the honor of being able observe several of the schools in the area, and this one is a true gem. The small class size and wonderful staff make this school my first choice for my child.

I totally agree with the little support for struggling kids at this school. The teachers just act like they don't care and it's to much hassle to deal with. It is a sad situation for the kids that do need the extra help.

I have been a parent for 24 years, and this is the first time I can actually say a school gives little support for struggling students. The atmosphere (with the exception of the secretaries) is less than welcoming. At a time when a child's develpement needs teachers to care and provide understanding support with firm boundries, this school fails. There are a couple of great teachers, but most shouldn't even work with pets.

Last modified Southwest Middle School - 38 is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.