By GreatSchools Staff
Here are some simple ways to help your child recognize patterns, an essential math basic for kindergartners:
What you need: Pen or pencil and paper
What to do: Write out the alphabet in capital letters look for “Alphabet mirrors.” See if your child can pick out the letters that mirror one another (if you split the letter in half, the halves would look the same, like “W”).
• Look for vertical mirrors (or side-to-side mirrors), with both sides the same, such as “A” and “H.”Look for horizontal mirrors (or up-down mirrors), where the top and bottom are the same, such as “B,” “E,” and “D.”
• Look for the two letters – “X” and “H” – that are mirrored vertically and horizontally
What you need: Somewhere outdoors to walk
What to do: Take a walk with your child and keep an eye out for all the patterns you’ll see in the natural world or on the city streets.
• Look for butterflies, moths, feathers, leaves, flowers, seeds from maple trees (those helicopter-looking leaves that are actually called samaras), tree bark, and spider webs. If you live near the ocean, the beach is full of patterns in the water, on shells, and in coral.
• If you don’t have access to the great outdoors, check out the National Geographic website for wonderful examples of patterns in nature:
What you need: A pile of change, including pennies, nickles, dimes, and quarters
What to do: Using coins, lay out a simple pattern (such as one nickel, two pennies, and one quarter).
• Ask your child to continue the pattern. Then it can be her turn to start a pattern, and you continue it.
• When it’s your turn again, make it more difficult, with a three- or four-part pattern.
Sign up for our free newsletter and we'll send you
more just like it every week.
Thank you! You will begin to receive newsletters from us shortly.
Great work! Only one more step. Now we just need you to verify your email address. Please click on the link in the email we just sent you to complete your registration.
Great work! Only one more step. Now we just need you to verify your email address. Please click on the link in the email we just sent you to submit your review.
Please click on the link in the verification email we just sent you to complete your change of email address.
Whoops! It looks like we still need to verify your email. To do so, please click on the link in the email we sent you. Can't find the e-mail? Click the button below and we'll send you a new one.
Thanks for registering. Welcome to GreatSchools, the largest online community committed to improving educational outcomes through parental involvement.
Thanks for verifying your updated email address.
Oops! You haven't verified your email address yet. To do so, please click on the link in the email we sent you. Can't find the email? Click the button below to receive a new one.
Oops! That email verification link has expired. Please click the button below to receive a new one.
Create an account to submit your answers.
Sign in with an existing GreatSchools account or using Facebook:
Your review has been posted to GreatSchools.
Share with friends! Post your opinion of on Facebook.
Welcome to GreatSchools!
For principals and school officials, we offer a special Enhanced School Profile (ESP) which allows you to update and add information about your school, as well as respond to reviews. If you are a school official, click Continue to start.
Please note that it can take up to 48 hours for your comment to be posted to our site. While you're here, we'd like to invite you to fill out a survey on your school's programs, activities, and extracurriculars. It only takes a few minutes and will help parents get a full picture of your school.
Get started now! You have successfully registered and can now start updating your Official School Profile. The information you provide is extremely valuable in helping parents and students learn more about your school, so thanks for taking the time!
Thank you for registering as a school leader. We just need to verify your email address. We've sent you an email - please click on the link in that message to get started editing your school's information!
Thanks! We just sent you an email – please click on the link in the email to post your answers.
Get timely updates for , including performance data and recently posted user reviews.