Five ways to awaken your child's inner scientist
Make science come alive for your child with these simple tips.
Science can be fun, especially if you make it part of a child's everyday routine. Here are some simple tips for bringing science into your child's life.
- Follow his interests and encourage him to explore subjects he likes. If he's a sci-fi fan, give him materials about space exploration, or try a paleontology book on your dinosaur buff.
- Make time for everyday experimentation, like observing changes in weather or the chemical reactions in cooking.
- Put scientific concepts in real-world terms. If she's studying states of matter at school, for example, take some water and freeze, boil, and melt it so she can see the scientific processes at work.
- Listen to his questions and try to find the answers together. Simply telling him the answer won't be as helpful or as empowering as conducting his own research.
- Explore the science that surrounds you - from the science programs in your community, to museums, to nature walks. Take trips together that pique her curiosity and keep her asking "Why?"