By GreatSchools Staff
With fewer hours in the day and a lot less sunshine, winter can be a time when accomplishing even ordinary tasks seems like a challenge. But that doesn't mean parents have to forgo teaching altogether. To set your childrens' math wheels spinning, GreatSchools presents these fun but unusual activities with a seasonal theme.
Objective: Accumulate the most points by making the product of the numbers in the chimney equal the product of the numbers in the fireplace. (The product is the answer to a multiplication problem).
Number of players: 2
1. To decide who goes first, each person takes a card, and the one with the highest card starts.
2. Deal four cards face-up, arranging them in the shape of a chimney. The two bottom cards should be right next to each other, with the third card centered above them and the fourth card directly above the third.
3. Multiply the value of the bottom two cards in the "fireplace" to get your target value.
4. Next multiply the value of the two cards of the "chimney."
5. Use multiplication, division, subtraction, and addition to make the chimney's value match the value in the fireplace. (No extra cards are needed. This part's just pure mental math.)
The options are many, but here are a few possible solutions:
20 x 3 = 60, 60 + 3 = 63
20 + 20 = 40, 20 + 40 = 60, 60 + 3 = 63
40 + 20 = 60, 60 + 3 = 63
6. Now it's player two's turn.
7. Sometimes the number in the fireplace will be more than the number in the chimney. In that case, the game continues normally but with more division and subtraction.
8. Players can continue as long as they like.
Sign up for our newsletter and we'll send you more
insights to help you help your child succeed.
Thank you! You will begin to receive newsletters from us shortly.
Thanks for verifying your updated email address.
Oops! That email verification link has expired. Please click the button below to receive a new one.
Create an account to submit your answers.
Sign in with an existing GreatSchools account or using Facebook:
Your review has been posted to GreatSchools.
Share with friends! Post your opinion of on Facebook.
Welcome to GreatSchools!
Thank you for registering as a school leader. We just need to verify your email address. We've sent you an email - please click on the link in that message to get started editing your school's information!
Thanks! We just sent you an email – please click on the link in the email to post your answers.
Get timely updates for , including performance data and recently posted user reviews.