By GreatSchools Staff
With fewer hours in the day and a lot less sunshine, winter can be a time when accomplishing even ordinary tasks seems like a challenge. But that doesn't mean parents have to forgo teaching altogether. To set your childrens' math wheels spinning, GreatSchools presents these fun but unusual activities with a seasonal theme.
1. Review and practice how to call out coordinates (horizontal, vertical).
2. Use a folder or book to prevent opponents from seeing each other's boards.
3. After obscuring the view of their boards, players hide their sleds. There are four sleds of varying size (equivalent to the number of dots on the board):
Because this activity focuses on practicing coordinates — and not grids — the sleds are drawn along the lines of the graph, not as shaded boxes.
4. Player one begins by "throwing the first snowball" and calling out a coordinate.
5. If the coordinate matches the location of a sled, player two says "Hit." If it doesn't match, player two says "Miss."
6. Player one keeps track of the information on the lower graph by marking the coordinate as a hit (X) or a miss (•).
7. Now player two calls out a set of coordinates. Player one indicates a hit or miss, and the second player records it on his or her graph.
8. The game continues until one player sunders all of his or her opponent's sleds.
Sign up for our newsletter and we'll send you more
insights to help you help your child succeed.
Thank you! You will begin to receive newsletters from us shortly.
Great work! Only one more step. Now we just need you to verify your email address. Please click on the link in the email we just sent you to complete your registration.
Great work! Only one more step. Now we just need you to verify your email address. Please click on the link in the email we just sent you to submit your review.
Please click on the link in the verification email we just sent you to complete your change of email address.
Whoops! It looks like we still need to verify your email. To do so, please click on the link in the email we sent you. Can't find the e-mail? Click the button below and we'll send you a new one.
Thanks for registering. Welcome to GreatSchools, the largest online community committed to improving educational outcomes through parental involvement.
Thanks for verifying your updated email address.
Oops! You haven't verified your email address yet. To do so, please click on the link in the email we sent you. Can't find the email? Click the button below to receive a new one.
Oops! That email verification link has expired. Please click the button below to receive a new one.
Create an account to submit your answers.
Sign in with an existing GreatSchools account or using Facebook:
Your review has been posted to GreatSchools.
Share with friends! Post your opinion of on Facebook.
Welcome to GreatSchools!
For principals and school officials, we offer a special Enhanced School Profile (ESP) which allows you to update and add information about your school, as well as respond to reviews. If you are a school official, click Continue to start.
Please note that it can take up to 48 hours for your comment to be posted to our site. While you're here, we'd like to invite you to fill out a survey on your school's programs, activities, and extracurriculars. It only takes a few minutes and will help parents get a full picture of your school.
Get started now! You have successfully registered and can now start updating your Official School Profile. The information you provide is extremely valuable in helping parents and students learn more about your school, so thanks for taking the time!
Thank you for registering as a school leader. We just need to verify your email address. We've sent you an email - please click on the link in that message to get started editing your school's information!
Thanks! We just sent you an email – please click on the link in the email to post your answers.
Get timely updates for , including performance data and recently posted user reviews.