By GreatSchools Staff
Vibrant picture books with creative story lines are ever popular among the kindergarten set. These titles are sure to spark your youngster’s imagination and inspire her to start reading on her own:
• The Magic Hat by Mem Fox and Tricia Tusa. Children love the rhymes and repetition in this story about a mysterious, magical hat that turns unsuspecting people into animals.
• Bats at the Library by Brian Lies. While the plot about a bunch of bats paying a nocturnal visit to a public library is sure to delight, the detailed illustrations are the real treat.
• Fancy Nancy books by Jane O’Connor. Fancy Nancy is a captivating, quirky protagonist, and the illustrations in this series are just as engaging. Great for beginning readers too.
• Owl Moon by Jane Yolen. This exquisitely written story about a special adventure between a young daughter and her father into the quiet winter night is an absolute treasure.
• My Sister and I by P. K. Hallinan. While this story touches on sibling relationships and the love they can foster, all of P. K. Hallinan’s heartwarming books focus on the importance of family, friendships, and good morals.
• I Love You Stinkyface by Lisa McCourt. A sweet story about a boy who tests the limits of his mother’s love by turning himself into multiple slimy, stinky creatures before realizing that her love is unconditional.
Have your own book recommendations? Add them to the Parent Picks list!
Sign up for our newsletter and we'll send you more
insights to help you help your child succeed.
Thank you! You will begin to receive newsletters from us shortly.
Thanks for verifying your updated email address.
Oops! That email verification link has expired. Please click the button below to receive a new one.
Create an account to submit your answers.
Sign in with an existing GreatSchools account or using Facebook:
Your review has been posted to GreatSchools.
Share with friends! Post your opinion of on Facebook.
Welcome to GreatSchools!
Thank you for registering as a school leader. We just need to verify your email address. We've sent you an email - please click on the link in that message to get started editing your school's information!
Thanks! We just sent you an email – please click on the link in the email to post your answers.
Get timely updates for , including performance data and recently posted user reviews.