By GreatSchools Staff
Books that play off real-life experiences are especially popular with this age group. Now is a great time to dive into early-reader chapter books.
• Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus by Barbara Park. Popular in homes and classrooms, your child will relate to the adventures of Junie B. Jones — and be inspired to read on her own.
• The Berenstain Bears by Stan and Jan Berenstain. As one parent says, “We love these books because of the reality of life experiences they reflect in the family, community, and society at large. Funny too!” By dealing with issues like honesty, friendship, safety, and kindness, this family of bears is practically human.
• The Who Was Biography series. These books are a great way to sneak in history lessons in under 100 pages. Your early to middle reader will love learning about the likes of Leonardo Da Vinci, Amelia Earhart, and the Beatles!
• Judy Moody (# 01) by Meagan McDonald. Judy Moody is a loveable and, yes, moody third-grader whose adventures delight children and parents alike. The book begins with Judy’s apprehensions about starting third grade and her consequent sulkiness. If you want to help your child make an easy transition from picture books to chapter books, look no further.
• Skippyjon Jones books by Judy Schachner. Skippyjon Jones is a spunky kitten with a huge imagination. Sent to his room for acting like a bird instead of a cat, Skippyjon Jones pretends he is a swashbuckling Chihuahua. The rhymes are enchanting, and the author does a wonderful job of incorporating Spanish phrases and humor.
Have your own book recommendations? Add them to the Parent Picks list!
Sign up for our newsletter and we'll send you more
insights to help you help your child succeed.
Thank you! You will begin to receive newsletters from us shortly.
Thanks for verifying your updated email address.
Oops! That email verification link has expired. Please click the button below to receive a new one.
Create an account to submit your answers.
Sign in with an existing GreatSchools account or using Facebook:
Your review has been posted to GreatSchools.
Share with friends! Post your opinion of on Facebook.
Welcome to GreatSchools!
Thank you for registering as a school leader. We just need to verify your email address. We've sent you an email - please click on the link in that message to get started editing your school's information!
Thanks! We just sent you an email – please click on the link in the email to post your answers.
Get timely updates for , including performance data and recently posted user reviews.