By GreatSchools Staff
Your child is at a critical stage with his reading skills. These parent suggestions, ranging from mysteries to adventures like Where the Red Fern Grows, are sure to keep him engaged:
• Walk Two Moons by Susan Creech. In this story a young girl traveling with her grandparents entertains them by weaving tales about her imaginary friend. At the same time, she must confront her feelings about her estranged mother.
• Time Cat: The Remarkable Journeys of Jason and Gareth by Lloyd Alexander. In Time Cat, a young boy discovers that his cat, instead of having nine lives, has the ability to travel through time nine times. Thus begins their adventures. One parent writes, “My then-fourth-grade son loved Time Cat. He's not a reader but couldn't put this book down.”
• Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney. This book series began as an online comic on Funbrain.com and has soared in popularity ever since. The books are written and illustrated as the journal entries of Greg, a middle school boy every family can relate to. This is a great pick for kids whose interest in books is waning.
• Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. This timeless classic is usually read under the covers with a flashlight as most kids can’t seem to put it down. The story focuses on Billy, a young boy who saves up money for two years to buy hunting dogs, and the bond he forms with them as they travel through the Ozark Mountains.
• Rules by Cynthia Lord. A touching story about a 12-year-old girl who longs for a “normal” life that, with an autistic brother, seems nearly impossible. As the protagonist regularly accompanies her younger brother to his occupational therapy sessions, she befriends a disabled boy. This is a great one to read aloud to your kids.
• Bull Run by Paul Fleischman. A fictional account of the famous Battle of Bull Run told from 16 perspectives, including men and women from the North and South. This book will give your child insights into the glories and horrors of war.
• Little Women by Louise May Alcott. A wonderful coming-of-age tale about four sisters growing up in 19th-century New England.
Have your own book recommendations? Add them to the Parent Picks list!
Sign up for our newsletter and we'll send you more
insights to help you help your child succeed.
Thank you! You will begin to receive newsletters from us shortly.
Great work! Only one more step. Now we just need you to verify your email address. Please click on the link in the email we just sent you to complete your registration.
Great work! Only one more step. Now we just need you to verify your email address. Please click on the link in the email we just sent you to submit your review.
Please click on the link in the verification email we just sent you to complete your change of email address.
Whoops! It looks like we still need to verify your email. To do so, please click on the link in the email we sent you. Can't find the e-mail? Click the button below and we'll send you a new one.
Thanks for registering. Welcome to GreatSchools, the largest online community committed to improving educational outcomes through parental involvement.
Thanks for verifying your updated email address.
Oops! You haven't verified your email address yet. To do so, please click on the link in the email we sent you. Can't find the email? Click the button below to receive a new one.
Oops! That email verification link has expired. Please click the button below to receive a new one.
Create an account to submit your answers.
Sign in with an existing GreatSchools account or using Facebook:
Your review has been posted to GreatSchools.
Share with friends! Post your opinion of on Facebook.
Welcome to GreatSchools!
For principals and school officials, we offer a special Enhanced School Profile (ESP) which allows you to update and add information about your school, as well as respond to reviews. If you are a school official, click Continue to start.
Please note that it can take up to 48 hours for your comment to be posted to our site. While you're here, we'd like to invite you to fill out a survey on your school's programs, activities, and extracurriculars. It only takes a few minutes and will help parents get a full picture of your school.
Get started now! You have successfully registered and can now start updating your Official School Profile. The information you provide is extremely valuable in helping parents and students learn more about your school, so thanks for taking the time!
Thank you for registering as a school leader. We just need to verify your email address. We've sent you an email - please click on the link in that message to get started editing your school's information!
Thanks! We just sent you an email – please click on the link in the email to post your answers.
Get timely updates for , including performance data and recently posted user reviews.