Henry Maxwell Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 681 students

Posted September 25, 2013

This is a great school! Its a wonderful environment with faculty that works together to serve the children and families of the community. I am so tired of the bad press and gossip that Antioch/Cane Ridge schools get. Get involved,visit and make a difference. Henry Maxwell has given my family as good of opportunities and education as any other school. Thanks so much!

Posted September 4, 2013

First off, my wife and I are quite overprotective parents. Also, our children transferred from a private school that we loved. So when we enrolled our children here we were cautiously optimistic. However, this school has been absolutely amazing. The faculty are incredible. Our daughters have felt safe and loved by their classmates and teachers. The lunch staff are top notch. This school has such a close knit community feel that I don't know if we could have been any happier. This is an amazing school!

Posted May 17, 2013

Henry Maxwell is one of the most promising schools in the Metro Davidson County school system. The principal and the entire staff inspire and encourage the students to be their BEST.

Posted February 15, 2013

We LOVE this school. It has outstanding and exceptionally dedicated teachers, administrators and staff. Has a welcoming and caring environment a strong PTA and parental support. I wouldn't want to send my kids anywhere else! Maxwell Elementary is definitely the best kept secret in Metro in my opinion.

Posted May 30, 2012

My kids love this school the teachers are awesome, I hate that we are being rezoned next year I hope this won't be to hard on my kids. But oveall a wonderful school.

Posted December 4, 2011

My son attends Maxwell Elementary and Is doing so well. I hate that they are changing his zoning for the next school year. Because he truly loves he school as well as teacher.

Posted April 5, 2010

My children transfered to this school. They have learned more at Henry Maxwell. They are being challanged and the Teachers are well aware of the help the child needs.

Posted December 10, 2009

I am really pleased with my son's teacher, Ms. Eagan. What a saint she is. My son enjopys going to school to learn and read. Thank you sooooo much Ms. Eagan

Posted December 2, 2009

I love this school, it's great administration & faculty. My son is in Miss Assalone's class, and although she is new to the school this year, me & my son adore her. She has been there time & time again whenever I have a question about an issue & her communication has been excellent. My son actually loves going to school & he knows that when he has to pull a card, it's not because he didn't know the rules going in. I hope that my son has teachers like Miss Assalone for the rest of his education career.

Posted July 15, 2009

I love this school the staff is great and a big thanks to Miss Allison and Mrs Ashworth for making me feel that my son was going to be ok and showing me a different side of my son too We made it to 1st great with all your help and understanding so thank you.

Posted June 18, 2009

I have had 2 children at Maxwell & have been extremely satisfied. We were blessed to have Mrs. Shreeve for a teacher. She was always very professional yet friendly with us, and she has excellent communication skills with both the students and parents. Our kids loved her. She always made learning fun and challenged the kids to do their very best and beyond. Because of her instruction and leadership my children are both doing very well now in middle school. She went the extra mile and turned my son and daughter into students who love to read and learn. Unfortunately, I wasn't so pleased with the principal, Ms. Ashworth. I found her to be very unfriendly and unapproachable. She seemed to never have time to talk to parents or students.

Posted January 3, 2009

My daughter started kindergarten at Maxwell. She felt completely invisible. So many children in her classroom had to have constant discipline that she always was stressed out. She hated school and refused to do homework. When she did excel at a project, it was not given notice. Whe really only felt comfortable in art class, where she had a fantastic teacher who recognized what she is capable of. The atmosphere of the school felt like a military camp, especially the lunch lady screaming all during lunch. I tried to be invovlved as a parent, but was always told that I was not needed. We moved mid-year and found a fantastic school. My daughters grades and attitude turned around completely. We feel that there are some great teachers at Maxwell, but our overall experience there was terrible.

Posted August 1, 2007

Maxwell is a great school! My son has been diagnosed with ADHD which has been a real headache when it comes to school work! However, Mrs. Matthews and Mrs. Westerman have gone out of their way to ensure my son excells ... while still tending to their other students. Their dedication and hardwork is VERY MUCH appreciated!

Posted March 27, 2006

Maxwell has been a great school for my children. I am not sure what some of the other parents who have left a review have witnessed with the discipline, and not seeing the principle, I believe that is simply a lack of being involved as a parent. I have a kindergartner that is reading on a first grade level and my second grader is reading on a fourth grade level, thanks to their teachers. It seems to be all of the teacher's mottos to allow the child to continue learning even if it exceeds the expectations of the curriculum. I love that! That means that children have no reason to every be 'bored' at Maxwell. The school definitely requires a lot of parent involvement academically, but that's ok, a parent should be involved in their child's education.

Posted August 13, 2005

My son who was in the second grade last year had a great year at Maxwell. Mrs. Woodroof was an outstanding teacher! If ever there was an issue it was taken care of. I would recommend Maxwell Elementary for all children.

Posted February 23, 2005

I have had one child at Maxwell k-2 and one child in kindergarten. I have no complaints. My children are bright and happy. Both of my children are reading way above grade level and get consistently good grades. My children both love Maxwell. Ms. Biggs is a great Kindergarten teacher. My kids especially love Art and Music. This school is very culturally diverse, but I don't see that as a problem in itself. I have found all the teachers I have dealt with to be approachable and helpful and genuinely concerned about the children. I do wish the school wasn't so crowded, and that the children had time to use the playground. I have found 'good discipline' to be the rule. There are always children who present challenges, but I think the teachers do the best they can with them.

Posted June 21, 2004

The leadership at this school seems very unfocused on academic richness. If you want your child to meet the standards, this is the school for your child. However, if you would like your child to exceed the standards, it will likely not happen at Henry Maxwell.

Posted February 29, 2004

Our daughter was diagnosed with ADHD. We found the school administrators totally indifferent to her needs. We became so frustrated with the lack of support that we had no option but to transfer her to a different school.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 78%N/A55%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5535 Blue Hole Rd