Arlington Elementary School

Public | K-8

Posted November 6, 2008

We moved from Cordova to Arlington because we heard that the school, teachers and staff at Arlington Elementary are great. My little one is in a kindergarden class where the teacher has some 17 plus years experience and it shows. My little one loves school and was already reading in 2 weeks! Glad we didn't go private.

Posted September 10, 2008

I have 2 children at Arlington Elementary this year and all in all I would say we are very happy with the school and the staff. The PTA is very involved with many activities planned during the year as well. So far we have had a good relationship with Principal Gore. Although, I will say she does portray more of a buisness like manner with the students. Which I personally like because I think it makes for a good role model for the girls in the school. The school is very crowded although the new Elementary is scheduled to be open in Fall 2009. We just have to hang on for a little while longer.

Posted September 5, 2008

I have had 3 kids now in this school. I have seen the growing pains and change of the principle. While we supported her most of the year in 2007-2008 She has now become too much. Mrs Gore will often no return your calls to issues at the school. She have her assistance to her dirty work. When you are blessed to have a phone call from her she will interupt you and not let you talk. When you get to know the teachers and they start to talk. They will tell her true colors as well. Most of the teachers enjoy teaching at the school becuase the school is a good school, but not thanks to Mrs Gore. She has no compasion to special needs kids who don't fit in her model. She talks down to kids to the point where the kids are now afraid of her. The teachers are for the most part very very good. But should you have a issue which need a princle help good luck.

Posted April 16, 2008

Although I was not really unsatisfied with AES when my daughter attended school here, my mind quickly changed when we were forced to put her in a different school when we moved. Her new school is rated lower than AES, yet she is at least a year behind the other students! At AES, she basically was a straight A student. She is struggling academically at her new school, although she likes the school and has made many friends. I am very disappointed in the curriculum at AES. Their test scores are can only high because they place so much emphasis on the TCAP!

Posted March 9, 2008

I have my third child going through Arlington Elementary. When my first child started four years ago, there were about 400 children and now there are about 1200. The curriculum is great and the teachers are wonderful. The lunch room rules are a bit over the top but 'doable'. I love AES but the school is way over crowded and now my child does not have a computer room, art room, music room, etc. A new elementary school has just been approved for building to help alleviate the overcrowding. I sure hope it helps!

Posted February 27, 2008

Arlington Elementary school has a lot to offer teachers, students, and parents. The teachers are of very high-quality, and they know how to encourage students to try their best. The school is great, and students should be excited to be part of the growing learning environment at Arlington.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 26, 2008

My daughter is in kindergarten at Arlington this year, and I love her teacher and the staff at the school. The only complaint I have is that it is really overcrowded - there are currently over 1100 students attending the school! My daughter's class has to share all her specials (music, art, PE) with other classes because of the overcrowding. It's time to build a new school...

Posted February 2, 2008

I am very pleased to have my child at Arlington Elementary School this year. The teachers are great, especially my child's current teacher in 1st grade. The new administration seem to work well in bringing fresh ideas and incentives for parents to be apart of the school and they really care for my child's well-being and education. My only concern would be the amount of students and the car rider line, but overall I am very pleased.

Posted October 26, 2007

UPDATE from my Feb 2007 review. Our kids second year at AES brings frustration and relief. There is ALL NEW EXECUTIVE STAFF this year. Some silly rules from last year are gone however now there are new silly rules. (rolling back packs must be carried plus the dress code!!) One of the V Principals is a big yeller and some kids are afraid. We are generally happy with the teachers. Not sure of the point of the AES music class. Very military. What ever happened to singing fun songs, rhythm and other fun music stuff? The kids aren't having ANY fun!! One of the teachers is quite mean. The good news is AES now has lap top computers for kids use. Still not enough mobility in their 7 hour day. Get with the program TN! The addition is finished-there is now an art room but still too many portables.

Posted January 30, 2007

We have 2 children at AES and we have been satisfied with the academic side. There does need to be more of an effort to involve parents during the school day, not just at afterschool events. Parents are discouraged from even entering the school during school hours. Also, the quality of teacher seems to be lower now than when my children began at AES. Hopefully, Mr. Sadowski will make better judgements in hiring in the future. The SCS curriculum is strong, he just needs to hire those who can teach it well.The PTA at AES is wonderful!!

Posted December 30, 2006

We moved from overseas to Arlington. Our daughter was ahead for age and we started her a year early. She has a wonderful teacher and a notebook that comes home everyday with work and notes. We are often asked to come and read to the class after lunch and help with special activities. The staff have always been welcoming and Mr. Sadowski has to follow the rules that Shelby Count has set forth. When our daughter first started school I thought the playground was a bit small but again it is a Shelby County thing. I've often seen children talking in the hallways and just being children. I do see a need for the school to expand to accommodate the growth of the students. All in all very happy we settled in Arlington!

Posted November 15, 2006

We have recently moved from Arlington Elementary to the second highest rated school in Virginia. I was worried that my children would be behind but have been shocked that not only are my children far ahead of their classmates, they are considered gifted here. They are both a full year ahead of their classes. The work they are given is what they had last year at Arlington. Arlington Elementary is a fantastic school and I would highly recommended it to anyone. The teachers and staff really love the kids and get to know them on a personal basis. I would move back there in a heartbeat just for the school.

Posted October 20, 2006

While the teachers are very good and my kids are doing well. The principle needs to retire. Childen are not allowed to talk in the halls. While on the outside he wants parents envolvement at the school. As long as it is not on the campus that ok. He discourges parents to help on school class rooms. This school is a nice school with the respect of the teachers. But the camp he is trying to run is not working. Let kids be kids.

Posted June 20, 2006

The teachers are great; however the principal is rather stiff minded. I pulled my child due to the curriculum or lack thereof. In first and second grade you should be learning more than what is being taught. Great parents, great kids, safe school but I just wasn't satisfied with the curriculum.

Posted March 20, 2006

I have 3 children attending this school and all are doing great. The teachers are knowledgable and easy accessible. The rules and regulations of the school are tolerable and strictly enforced. As a parent, I love this school and chose this area to live because of the school.

Posted July 23, 2005

We moved from IL to TN in 2002 and we did our research on schools before we moved. The main reason we moved here is for the school. This is our 4th year at the school. I honestly can say , that this school far exceeded our high expectations. Our PTA is awesome,they are focused and dedicated to say the least.We have many supportive parents and can always use a few more. The teachers are very special, they go above and beyond to get to know the children and work with their needs on an individual basis. It is not just a job to them, it is so much more to them. The staff is so supportive and wonderful. Mr. Sadowski's years of experience are very apparent. We couldn't ask for more. We Love AES!

Posted June 14, 2004

My child has been at Arlington for three years now, and is excelling in every subject. Each of the teachers she has had have been very receptive to parent questions, problems, and have made excellent suggestions to help my child suceed. In addition, I attended this school when I was a child and I am in my thirties now...some of the teachers that taught me are still there, but the attitude is absolutely not antiquated! Mr. Sadowski, the principal, is wonderful...I think he knows each child by name, and his support of the staff and programs has been great. The PTA is very active as well here at Arlington. We looked at several areas to buy our new home, and ultimately bought here largely due to the school.

Posted March 7, 2004

AES is a positive educational experiences any child could be exposed to. The level of education is outstanding as well as the enviornment that surrounds the children each day. I have 2 children in the school now and one completed the school 5 years ago after transfering from another elementary school. I am confident that my children are receiving the foundation in education they need to succeed in life.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 47% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 41% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 47% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 82% in 2013.

Writing

Economically disadvantaged86%
Students with disabilities71%

Students with disabilities82%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

Algebra I

English I

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 9%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

11825 Douglass St