Bolton High School

Public | 9-12 | 1946 students

Posted August 23, 2013

My daughter loves this school!!! Awesome teachers!!!! My daughter is always happy and in such a great mood when she arrives home from school.....

Posted August 9, 2013

I love it at Bolton! I've been here 3 years, and it keeps getting better. Of course their is going to be some gang related issues, since it's a high school. They have them at Bartlett and Millington, and no one says anything about that! Overall, it's a great school to meet new friends, and the IB program, the band, choir, and orchestra, and the athletics program help make this school as great as it is today! It's kinda different since our old principle left, so the rules have changed a little. People just need to get use to it. Bolton is a wonderful experience for any teenager.

Posted June 4, 2013

I have one child that is about to be a senior and one that is going to be a freshmen. I must say that Shelby County does a great job of keeping the school's discipline trouble out of the media. I don't blame the faculty; it's the students. Like many schools in and around the Memphis area there is a gang problem. And my eldest has complained of racial problems amongst the students and blatant disrespect towards the teachers . There are good aspects about the school such as the band, choir, sports, and some academic programs . I just hate that some of the students wont recognize and accept the great education they could get from the educators there.

Posted May 28, 2009

Bolton High School is one of the best places to go! The people are extremely down to earth and actually nice and caring. This school has roots because it has been around for a long time and is very well established. The extra curricular activities are amazing especially band! The sports teams really make an effort to come together and bond. The classes are great and the teachers not only teach school related things but also help us learn life lessons. It has been a wonderful 3 years here!

Posted May 27, 2009

Bolton High is where I have one son attending and two others will be attending down the road. I have the highest respect for the administration, staff and athletic coaches. This school is very, very well thought of in our community and does a great job !

Posted November 24, 2008

I have had two kids attend Bolton. The teachers are very good and the honors classes offer much. I think their sports programs are good (exception: head football coach is awful and does not have a clue). All in all, the school is safe. There is some racial tension from time to time, especially when Obama got elected. The slurs were being thrown by the black kids no less. Principal Stevens is outstanding. Its a good environment and I think they try hard to keep it that way.

Posted July 18, 2008

This is an excellent school and i could not imagine attending any other high school other than Bolton High School.

Posted July 3, 2008

Excellent student support; safe campus; enforces a dress code without reverting to uniforms.

Posted September 17, 2007

I believe bolton is a great school. My son attend and we have always had great reviews. This is his last year. Keep up the great work. Thanks to all the teachers

Posted March 6, 2007

While the variety and selection of courses available in the Honors/A.P. programs are superior to those found at other schools, there is a continual problem with racial and socioeconomic tension that manifests itself DAILY in aggressive behavior in the hallways, cafeteria, etc. My daughter is a junior, has never had a conduct related incident at school, but comes home often with stories of pushing/shoving, racial slurs and aggressive behavior from total strangers. I think a concerted effort by all teachers to maintain higher visibility between classes would significantly reduce these incidents. I'll have another child entering the school next year, equally as mild mannered, and my husband and I are very concerned for her safety also. Unfortunately, this appears to be the best of the available schools, including private ones, so I guess we'll just hope for the best.

Posted March 11, 2006

Bolton is a great school if you know which teachers to choose. As with all schools, some teachers are better than others. Overall, I'd say it has an excellent staff. The new principal is great on discipline and will have the school running tightly in no time.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 31, 2005

I couldn't have asked for a better school for my daughter to attend. The students are great, the teachers are awesome, administration is phenonmenal, and the parental involvement is priceless. I know that my daughter is working towards a wonderful future and will be fully prepared for any college that she chooses.

Posted January 21, 2005

Great School!!! I am a graduate of Bolton and I have never been more proud to tell people where I went to school. I will never forget the caring staff there that helped me to become the person I am today. A special thanks to Dr. Carruthers, Mrs. Pittman, Mrs. Murphy, Mrs. Berkes, Ms. Burns, and Mrs. Dodd. Thank you so very much for for everything!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 13, 2004

My daughter went from a catholic school 1-8th grade to Bolton and she absolutely loves it! 98% of her 8th grade class went on to St. Benedicts, IC, or CHBS, but we have been thrilled with the academics and environment at Bolton. I am so glad there is a variety of people, cultures, etc. and there are so many activities and opportunities for college prep. We both love it.

Posted September 7, 2004

My son is a junior this year and we love the staff at Bolton high school. principle is great, and so are the teachers. He love the concert choir and looks forward to each year.

Posted August 28, 2004

My daughter graduated in 2002. She received an excellent education that prepared her well for college. She was offered scholarships from six top-tier private colleges and is now attending her #1 choice, Hendrix College in Conway, AR on scholarship. The extracurricular opportunities are great, including activities in academics, athletics and the arts. The Bolton theatre department is one of the best and consistently wins state-level competitions. The racially diverse student body and faculty presents some challenges, but respect and harmony prevail. The student body is a mixture of urban and rural students. One downside is overcrowding; the schol has expanded in size to accomodate enrollment, but students can get lost among nearly 2500 students. Overall I was pleased with Bolton and my daughter's high school experience. She attened private middle school and I am glad she went to high school in a more diverse setting.

Posted July 14, 2004

I am student of the Class of 2005 here at 'the Ranch', and I couldn't see myself anywhere else. The teachers that I have had honestly care about us -- to quote one, 'It's not about grades; it's about learning.' Personally, I'm involved with the Drama Department, and studying/working under Mrs. Debbie Nelson has been the pinnacle of my high school career. I've ventured out to see other High School Productions, and none can compare to the quality you find in a Bolton play. I was also a part of the football team at BHS (who placed 5th in the State, by-the-way!) Extracurricular activities are great at Bolton, and staying afterschool on its beautiful campus is never a downer. It is not hard to find tons of school spirit in yourself and those around you when you attend such a great school as Bolton.

Posted August 26, 2003

I'm not actually a parent but an alumni. I absolutely loved attending Bolton. The teachers are helpful and attentive creating a fun and inviting work environment. I was personally envolved in the band program and wouldn't have changed my director for anyone else in the world. The honors programs are lead by excellent teachers with a gift for encouragment and leadership. I would advice anyone who can to enroll in Mrs. Martin's Math Class. She will absolutely change the way you think about school. Altogether I would have never wished to attend a different school. The staff and fellow students make it a throughly enjoyable experience.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 11, 2003

My son is Junior at Bolton and he has been challenged by his teachers and given the resources to meet every challenge. My second son is now at Bolton and I sent him without hesitation. The administration has a firm control of the student body. My son's teachers have all taken an interest in helping him acheive his goals of college, even when it means less involvement in the clubs that teacher sponsors. We have always felt welcome at the school and impressed at the interest the faculty and staff take in the students' lives. My son has really grown academically. Parent involvement is encouraged and appreciated.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

374 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

488 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

494 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

463 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

464 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

436 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 37%N/A55%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Staff resources available to students

• Latin
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

Music
  • Band
  • Choir / Chorus
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7323 Brunswick Rd