Shadowlawn Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 907 students

Sweep tile

Posted December 6, 2013

I'm in the 8th grade and has been at Shadowlawn since 6th grade. Shadowlawn Middle School is not one of the best schools out there. The teachers are lazy and strict. The kids are disrespectful and don't care about their education. The school is nasty, occasionally when I go to the bathroom there might be a roach in there. Overall the school is a bad place to be. There is there good side though, the principal Mr. McDonald is a nice caring person. There are some teachers that do a good job teaching, and also some students do care about their education and actually want to learn. So if you are new to Shadowlawn try your best to get adjusted and just go with the flow. Yours truly, - Student

Posted October 20, 2013

This is my son first year at shadowlawn its some things I dont understand how is it the school dont know what is happening on their bus students bullying , trying to set students on fire on the bus it sad. And I am so mad cause it no protection for my son if you call the school they aint do jack its all about the money. My son came from a city school they never had a problem out him I felt he safer there than were at now. I Don't Like No To Bully No One Child & it sad that parent dont know what their kids are doing.Far as school learning It good so far my son loves his school. He just wish everyone could get alone with each other. I do too!!!!

Posted August 20, 2012

My kids just graduated from 8th grade from Shadowlawn Middle. I have to say that even being a middle school it provided lots of opportunities for the kids who want to avail them like geography bee, spelling bee, band activities, opportunities to send an essay for competition, and to top it all a very competitive curriculum. The teachers I came across were remarkable, including the bus drivers. Mr. McDonald took personal interest in each and every kid and kept the discipline his main focus. As a parent I can understand how hard that can be. I also applaud the parents who stay involved with PTA and other school activities. Overall a very good school.

Posted August 19, 2012

My son attends Shadowlawn and is now in the 8th grade. We had a chance to move to another Arlington school this year, and my son refused. He loves it there. All of his teachers are caring and really know their subject, especially the advanced teachers. The principal knows every student's name and is available anytime. I have never had a problem with visiting him during his lunch. They DO have an open door policy. Their PTSA is getting better and better, now that we have parents who really want to help. I was concerned with discipline, but they have instituted a school-wide discipline plan that seems to be working. At least my son thinks so. I LOVE this school

Posted January 13, 2012

I have had two children graduate from Shadowlawn and one currently attending. Thus far I have seen three different principals and three different choir directors come through. I personally feel that the school has gotten worse. I don t think that some of the teachers are concerned or care about the fighting, bullying, bad language, etc that goes on here. These issues really need to be addressed, not just here at Shadowlawn- throughout Shelby County. Here at Shadowlawn, the principals and some of the teachers are quick to place children in ISS. Their needs to be some other type of discipline plan in place. when a child is taken from the classroom he/she is missing out on learning. With the way children are so disrespectful now, I personally think paddling needs to be brought back to schools.

Posted August 22, 2009

my daughter has attended this school for two years now and I've noticed everyday back from school she would have a smile on her face.....unlike her other school when she was sad all the time. I don't know if its her friends here or what but I'm glad that whatever changed her life,changed and mine also......=)

Posted August 1, 2009

My son attended for two years and we were pleased with the school. The advanced level courses they offer were really good for him, his test scores were well above average. No complaints here.

Posted October 23, 2008

Hello I am a seventh grader at Shadowlawn Middle School. This school overall is better and getting better every moment. Ms. Garner and Mrs. Foster are one of the best teachers their, but every teacher their cares for their students. Shadowlawn is an awesome school.

Posted May 27, 2008

My daughter just completed sixth grade at SMS. Our family has been very pleased with SMS! Mr. McDonald is a wonderful, caring principal. He is present at every basketball game, even the away ones. I have not seen neighboring schools' principals do that. He also brings his family with him. I feel that shows his dedication to our school and my daughter. Officer Hamm is also a great asset to the school. Just watching him interact with the kids at the dances and games, it appears that he is well liked, which means a safer school. My daughter was on a team of 4 different teachers whom I was very pleased with. I have always felt I could discuss anything with them. I will say that I fought very hard to get a transfer for my daughter because of Shadowlawn's bad reputation. I am very glad that my request was denied.

Posted February 24, 2008

I went to Shadowlawn as the class of 2007. The word I can use to describe it is 'change' every year I went, there was a different principal, and the first two didn't seem to keep a hold on things well. Mr. McDonald however, is great. Discipline is nopt handled well at Shadowlawn. Sometimes, ISS or OSS doesn't work. I saw a person with a switchblade get caught and only get 3 days of OSS. Terrible. One other example is the food fight. We were put on lockdown. Why punish us all for some thing started by one student.

Posted May 23, 2007

I am not please with my children's stay at this school. There are hardly any extracurricular activities. The staff does not seem to want the parents involved unless it for discipline problems. I need a school that has an open door policy. I don't want to interrupt instruction time, I just want to check on my child. I still want to be involved even more so, now that my children are in middle school. They don't really have a discipline program in place, except to put students in ISS or OSS. The teachers seem well educated and seem to do a good job educating my children, but what about the activities, discipline, and parental involvement. I feel like I just drop my child off and that is all I can do is wave bye.

Posted April 14, 2006

I go to Shadowlawn Middle School... It is a great school to meet friends.The Cafeteria Luches are Great.However,some teachers are not fair and pick students to favor. Also, some teachers load students down with home and others give maybe 1 homework assignment for the whole year. The Teachers are great but some cannot handle the classrooms there and therefore students that want to learn cannot learn in a well environment because of the conduct of some students. The language at SMS is also not very pleasent. Since i've been to shadowlawn i have probobly learned more cuss words than my dad knows. Also, in the time i've attended this school i have been offered drugs at least 10 times. The cleaness of this school is not very well kept up. Bathroom stalls have writting everywhere, water fountains have mold on the sides, and in the cafeteria the trays sometimes have food-on-them-from-the-day-before.

Posted April 9, 2006

I love this school i think it is great place to meet freinds and have acedimic programs after school ! my child is a cheerleader for shadowlawn and it is great ! the teachers are wonderful especially mr.Webber ! although the pricipal is newer at the school she knows how to deal with kids great ! this is a great strict school for your kids to learn acedimic greatness !

Posted November 8, 2005

I went to sms for sixth and seventh.i know this school like the palm of my hand just about,and i love it.its not that clean always,BCUZ OF THE STUDENTS!!but the teachers are always watching out for dress code violations,the students have minor behavior problems,and the teachers are strict and friendly!(they truly do care!)
—Submitted by a former student

Posted November 5, 2005

I think SMS is a great school, although we might see bugs every now and then...its still cool.

Posted June 1, 2005

Children are not well supervised. In appropriate touching is going on in the Gym and Cafeteria often. School is not very clean. Staff act concerned but do little to change things.

Posted April 8, 2005

This school is an okay school. However, dress code here is not dealt with carefully, cleaniness in some places is not very pleasant and teachers are not give that much homework.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 47% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 41% in 2013.

263 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 47% in 2013.

318 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

269 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 82% in 2013.

318 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

Hispanic81%
Economically disadvantaged72%
Students with disabilities61%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

Algebra I

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 50%N/A55%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Drama

Health & athletics

• Gym
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4734 Shadowlawn Rd