PK-10|Private

Bad
Good

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

The school does not allow bullying. The kids are taught to love and respect each other. This life is modeled by the staff. One advantage MR has is that it draws from all over the Memphis metroplex so drama and "legacy" student who see themselves as entitled is very limited. Also, to me this is a culture thing. Students who are taught to push back the darkness and brokenness of the world around often develop a loving heart and a deep compassion for hurting people. Students are taken on service projects, host fund raiser, participate in and host events each year that develops in them a heart of compassion. Bullies have no platform or audience and normally they just don't make it at MR.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

All my kids utilized the "Help class" system. It is free and meets early or after school. The school has a program you can pay for called ROCK it is for students with learning needs beyond what the free service can help.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

My oldest son is 23 and he started in k4 at MRBS. Year-before-last the school made a turn. All the administration left, many of the teachers left and a rebuilding process started. Without getting lengthy the mood and culture have changed. Like a breath of fresh air parents, teachers and students are working together. As a parent I feel valued and my concerns heard. The new Motto is "Love Works" and it is lived everyday on the campus by the new admin and all the teaching staff. Keep in mind they are not a reformed school. Some people read this and think that their kid will love it because the rules have been relaxed. The rules have been relaxed and loving each other rules the day but a grace community still has separations from people who refuse to love and respect others around them. The new environment is different from the old environment in that students are EXPECTED to love one another and respect one another, this is no longer a FORCED discipline that is enforced by multiple rules and varying levels of punishments. If you have built your child a world where everyone has to comply to their will and wants, you will not be successful here.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

This is a high spot for me. I have always wanted my kids to deal with all of life could throw at them while they were under my roof so we could as a family walk with them and teach them life lessons through the issues. If my kids gets in trouble I make them reflect on their role in the situation. I have sons, Lord knows there is a lot of reflection in my house. If they complain that a teacher is hard, I remind them there is a hard boss out there someplace and press them to learn to work through it. I have had many conversations with staff who are right there with me in these lessons. Some parents want their kids taught integrity and character until it demands something of the kid. Then they want the school to accommodate their kid and make an exception. This is damaging to the kid and this is not me. MR staff in my mind truly love the kids and genuinely want them to be all they can be, but they are human and no human will get along with every other human. This is cultivated land for a good life lesson. But its safe, because you know the teachers really love the kids. Again there is no extra pay for the extra mile. They just do it. If you want you kid petted or you are one of those parents who think your child is prefect, honestly, this is probably not the school for you. Compassion, respect for others, and integrity are learned behaviors. If you refuse to let life happen to your kid loses out and you will be unhappy in a school that presses in on kids to develop these characteristics. MR will press them to develop these characteristics.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

Homework is put in place to reinforce the lessons and concepts taught and see if students has a good enough understanding of the material to work it on his own. I like that there is no busy work. There seems always to be a reason behind each assignment and it has always been doable with sports and other extracurricular activities. Now its demanding, and it will take some work, but it always seemed reasonable to me.

Macon Road Baptist School is under a new administration. The entire program is changed. I have 8 children. All of them have gone through or are currently going through the program at MRBS. (K4-12th grade). So far 2 have graduated from college and are doing great (1 is actually married) and 2 are still in college! The 4 college age kids were all admitted on varying levels of scholarships. They were well prepared by MRBS and one was even offered an athletic scholarship in a D2 program for football, which he turned down. We have 1 graduating from MRBS this year. He has been pursued by several colleges, been offered scholarships to most of them and has been accepted to the college of his choice for next year, leaving my last 3 sons still at MRBS next year. I feel I can say with a certain level of authority, that MRBS is a great school and was a perfect for our family. They have dual enrollment in a regionally accredited college, they have an honors track for kids who want to press a little harder in certain classes and they have AP classes to name a few cool new features. Every kid k - 12th uses IPads and the 6 - 12th are issued iPads in place of books for all their classes, homework and projects. In fairness, Our family has been at MRBS through two administrations. The first was rigid, cold and strict. But Pam Culbreth, the new principal is a wonderful caring person. "Love Works" is the new motto! In the end this is just a review. Again to be fair, I would agree that not every school is good for everybody. That is why I would say, just go and see for yourself. Maybe it would be a good fit for your family as well. Tours are free.

MRBS should not be in the business of education. We researched/visited, and were assured our kids' needs would be met if we transferred them there. We wanted to ensure the curriculum was comparable to the former school. MR tested/assessed our 1st grader. They assured us s/he belonged in their 1st grade class, so we transferred in the middle of the year. We were shocked to learn shortly after, the school graded on phonics--a skill our 1st grader had never been exposed to; there was no after-school homework assistance as we were promised: and, when we attempted to discuss our child's needs, the school denied us appropriate professional attention. Administration deemed it more important to "protect their teacher," than to teach a late-arrival 6-year old to grasp a learning concept. They insisted on marking my 6-y/o's papers in red ink with number/letter grades and further exasperated the delicate self-image my child had as a student. MR misled us into joining for the tuition money, and cared little about providing a positive learning environment for my child, who is now thriving with a school/teacher team who performed due diligence to do their jobs on a truly professional level.

Macon Road Baptist School is an excellent school. Our daughter transferred to MRBS in the 3rd grade from a "good" public county school. The difference in the administrative support of the teachers, the fact that the teachers care about their students and the quality of the education along with the Christian environment, our daughter and us are so pleased. We would never consider leaving MRBS. Fabulous, fabulous school.

Macon Road is a horrible school! My child transferred to Arlington High School and was a year behind because there curriculum was sooo old! Public School was better for my child! And my child was bullied several times at this school and my child was suspended because he had a mental break down and said one curse word! I Do not recommend Macon Road! Every child in the school says they hate it!

This is an excellent Christian school where everyone gets along. The teacher's and staff are great!

Last modified Macon Road Baptist School-East Campus is a Private school that serves grades PK-10