Mcminn High School

Public | 9-12 | 1349 students

Posted August 2, 2014

Mcminn is just like any other public school, but Meigs county is a lot worse. They don't put you in the classes you need and all the popular kids get away with a whole lot of things. The "in" crowd gets treated better than anything. Mcminn is a little better with the classes. As for the teachers, there are some who should not teach at all, but the others are great. The disiplinary system is great. They take action immidiatly.

Posted June 5, 2013

As a former student, I can honestly say that McMinn could be a lot worse. The teachers, with the exception of the science department, are generally not good. The higher-level classes in the science department are pretty good, and have prepared me well for my pre-medical studies. Athletics are only overemphasized by the students themselves and P.E. teachers. Parental involvement is horrendous, but that's more on the meth-addled parents rather than the school. The principal is incredibly average, making good and bad decisions in equal measure. There could be more AP classes offered; to be fair, McMinn offers more than most surrounding schools. All in all, the school is spectacularly blah. It's not the most enjoyable thing in the world, but it's not exactly the 7th layer of hell either.

Posted March 23, 2011

This high school offers a lot more honors, advances placement, and dual enrollment classes compared to McMinn Central.

Posted February 22, 2011

I'm not sure if the post made on sep. 18, 2009 is serious. The errors make my head spin. Is this really from a high school senior?

Posted October 6, 2010

The school has taken great strides in the last couple of years and is on the road to becoming a premiere high school in the state. It's exciting to be a part of the change and I'm looking forward to where the school culture, academics, and technologies will take the students in the future.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 14, 2009

Without a doubt, one of the worse run schools I have ever been associated with. Communications between parents and teachers/staff is nearly impossible. High school kids answer the phone when you call the school..then when connected you get an answering machine. Calls are not returned and some won't even respond to an email. The school is overcrowded, students are treated differently according to their participation in sports, and most of the kids despise their own school. At the end of the year, they don't even bother to mail report cards home and when you take off from work to go pick it up, the people in the office act as though you are bothering them by being there. I could go on and on. I honestly cannot think of a positive comment to make.

Posted December 3, 2009

Communication with teachers is mediocre at best. It has come down to emails and pre-recorded phone messages from the administration. I also feel that it would be in the best interest of the students McMinn county should consider going to block scheduling. If I had a way to get my children to a school that had this , they would not attend MCHS. As for those who want to say how great it is for athletics, that seems to be the one area they strive for excellence. Hope it improves soon.

Posted September 18, 2009

I am a senior at McMinn County High School, and no it isn't the best school, but its no different than any other public school. It has some rules but don't they all. I have met some of the best teachers a student could ask for at this school. Overall it is a preety good school. (But I hate there graduation rankings; kids that took easy classes can be valedictorian. How stupid is that?)

Posted January 19, 2009

My child attends MCHS & has hated it from day one. All the students want to do is back bite each other & put each other down. I'm sure teachers have heard things going on why can't or won't they do something about it before it is too late?

Posted January 8, 2009

Freshman year I remember being intimidated by everything that was at McMinn. I'm now a junior, and I realize that freshman year is the high point of the high school experience at McMinn. We have a new principal this year (everyone was ecstatic about who it was), and I never was eager for him to take over. Soon enough, everyone realized that he was not the 'hip' principal everyone thought he'd be. The way he conducts things is degrading to us as students. He treats us as if we are all buffoons and repeats everything at least four times. I, for one, think the teaching staff, for the most part, is pretty mediocre. I have about two teachers from each hallway that I'd consider allowing my (future) kids to have.. Not so much with the others. So yes, improvement is needed. I'm not even going to go into the dress code..

Posted August 15, 2008

Like many other school, some improving would not hurt.. however, i find that due to the amount of students and the staff the teachers and other staff do a good job, kids create havoc for themselves most of the time. but there are kids who really want an education and try to get it. then others who are there to just take up space or other ajendas.. i find the school itself is outdated but the staff really try to make it a pleasant and enjoyable for students and easily accessable for parents.. communication is good and the staff are willing to work in any way to help your child to become all he or she can be.. keep it up mcMinn.. you need support i'm one parent that will do my part.. thanks for allowing my children to benefit from your experience..

Posted August 9, 2008

We finally have a new principal this year. Let's see if it makes a difference. My youngest son is a Senior this year thank goodness. My oldest son grad. in 2003 and was not at all prepared for college. He too had to take remedial courses. Can not wait to get through this year and get my son a real education through college or technical.

Posted April 22, 2008

This is an absolutely horrible school. The administrators either need to get better at what they do, or quit. My child is a sophmore and she hates going to school. I'm very involved in her schooling, and I think the school needs uniforms, because the dress cod is too expensive. I think that it would get rid of alot of violence and stero-types. It would be an over all good thing.

Posted July 17, 2007

The school needs to go through some major changes.

Posted June 26, 2007

It was a great school. I learned a lot there and the whole town was involved in the athletics. I couldn't see how anyone would not approve of this school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 22, 2007

Im still attending MCHS and it might as well be the worst school I ever heard off. The Principals (including assistants and vice principals) care more about the sports than the students or classes. They also have a ridiculous dress code that doesn't allow the kids any freedom. The pants cant have any loops or extra pockets and must be a basic color and cant be shorts. The shirts must be a solid color without stripes or anything else and must be tucked in. They only allow piercings in the ear lobe. Students refer to the school as a prison.

Posted May 14, 2007

McMinn County High was an awful school to let my daughter attend. She graduated in 2003 with a 4.0 gpa and has yet to graduate college. She entered college and had to take remedial classes to catch up. Not a great teaching staff, and athletics are more important than scholastics.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

382 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

302 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

345 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

380 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

324 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

315 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 57%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2215 Congress Parkway