Sullivan East High School

Public | 9-12

Posted March 29, 2014

I am a proud graduate from Sullivan East High. I feel like it was a great high school to attend! I have many great memories from my four years there, and I feel that I was properly prepared for college. I graduated from a private college thanks to the education I received first from Sullivan East. The teachers and staff are very down to earth, and they care about the students well being. Many other schools in the Bristol area are very political in the advancement of their students, but Sullivan East places advancement in the hands of the students work ethic. I am very grateful to have attended Sullivan East, and would recommend it to anyone.

Posted February 29, 2012

I am an alumni of this school and other than a few great teachers my experiance with East was not a good one nor was it for many of the people I know. Discrimination, favorites and unjust is the way of sullivan county schools at least in bluff city and East is no different.

Posted August 1, 2011

This school is the basic stereotypical under achieving hillbilly school. The teachers don't care or challenge their students. In sports, every game is a rout. It is just overall pathetic.

Posted February 6, 2011

I am a past student (1974) and I know that East High is the best school. Never have I found a school with staff that not only say they care, they have no problem showing such care. I live many miles away now, but I have the best memories of East.

Posted December 11, 2009

I am a past student of East and I believe that East is one of the best public schools out there. There are excellent teachers and staff that truely care about the sucess of their students,in school & in life. I would like to thank eveyone from students to teachers, administraters to staff for inspiring me to change lives.

Posted October 2, 2009

The majority of the teachers assign book reading instead of hands-on teaching, they have bad grammar, and low standards. Sports are the focus at that school and favoritism is a big problem.

Posted September 15, 2009

Sullivan East High School is a all right school. The teachers are not as bad as they say. Personaly my favorete teachers has to me between Mrs. Williams and Mrs. Ward. Mrs. Williams is funny but undestands you need to get your work done. Mrs. Ward seems a little strict to others but to me you need to respect her in order to learn. She's great! Her teaching skills taught me more than alot more than others.

Posted February 2, 2009

Just look at how the student spelled the State he lives in! How good can it be. I think they should tear it down and start over. However there are some fine people (J Dyer, R Gilmore.. list not all inclusive but these are best! P.S. WE miss Mrs. Rouse!!!!

Posted December 17, 2008

As a student, I can honestly say that I am rarely challenged in any academic course I have took. Most teachers have stopped teaching after they are tenured. I have had classes which I have done nothing but watch CNN for the entire semester, which apparently constitutes a 100 final average in economics and government. There are a few teachers (Mr Gilmore, Mr Aubrey, Ms Ward, Ms Eberle, Mr Rasnake, Ms Queen, Mrs Aubrey) that genuinely make difficult courses where it is hard to get that A -- I have learned everything in High School from those teachers. The cafeteria rarely has enough food for all students, so if you have 3rd lunch, get there as early as possible or you'll be eating half frozen french fries and pay full price for the meal. The administration runs the school effectively, but the teachers really hurt the school.

Posted June 26, 2008

I am extremely happy with my son attending Sullivan East. The Teachers and Coaches are wonderful and always willing to take time for students or parents. The atmosphere is great and the kids all seem to really get along. As far as academics, I am very pleased with the curriculim and how he is being taught.

Posted March 6, 2008

I love absolutely love sullivan east. The people are amazing and except for a few, the teachers are great. I am glad I go to this school and I wouldn't switch schools for the world.

Posted September 13, 2007

i absolutly love this school it's great everyone is so helpful! i love my fellow students and teachers...!!! Go Patriots!!!!!!

Posted August 20, 2007

This is the worst example of our education system of which we have had to experience. You're better off homeschooling if you move to this area. Your child will have received a stronger education from middle school than he will receive as a graduate of this school. It will be a waste of four years.

Posted May 24, 2007

I, myself, graduated from EHS. And am a parent of & parent of two(just recently) former students at Sullivan East. The schools culture is one of 'money talks'. A few good teachers made it bearable (Thanks Mrs. Parker!). The arts in the county school system as a whole has been severely injured & overlooked since the mid '80s.

Posted April 27, 2006

East High School is in my opinion one of the greatest places in the world. I learned so many things while in high school not only in the classroom that has definitely helped me so far in my college career, but about life skills. At most high schools people are isolated and divide themselves into groups or cliques. Obviously everyone has their own group of friends, but everyone got along wonderfully at East no matter who your 'group' of friends were. I learned throughout high school that no one should ever be isolated because of how much money they have. All that matters is what kind of person you are. I dont think that many high schools in America can say that. So many people look down on East because of the past, but actually other schools should try to model the kindness and respectfulness of the staff and students.

Posted January 30, 2006

I graduated from East December/2005 as an early graduate. I attended two classes at Northeast State during my final semester and am now attending Tennessee State University in Nashville. I believe that I was prepared for college when I graduated. I had a lot of good teachers and the ones I had that weren't the best still gave me something to take with me. I think too many parents believe their kids when they say that their teachers are bad teaches-usually they are just looking for someone to blame for the fact that they don't do well in the class. I participated in drama and band during school and encourage everyone to be envolved in something, take advantage of the excellent resources avaliable. Had I not had band and drama, I wouldn't have survived high school. They did not distract me from work but instead kept me out of trouble.

Posted May 10, 2005

My son graduated in the top 10 of his class in 2003. I am extremely pleased with the education he received. He has completed his sophomore year of college, majoring in biology with plans of attending pharmacy school. While a student @ EHS, he took accelerated coursework and also played 3 different sports. I totally disagree with the review which said that if a student didn't participate in sports, then they were nothing. Students are presented with a variety of activities in which to participate. The school offers both academic and vocational programs, chorus, drama, an award-winning forensics team, band, NJROTC, numerous clubs and organizations, and sports for varsity, junior varsity, and freshmen athletes, just to name a few. Parental involvement is encouraged and enthusiastically received. Often, students get out of something exactly what is put into it.

Posted April 7, 2005

Everyone has their own opinion and each child is different. My son graduated last year - he did well in his academics and also played sports and has adjusted very well in college. So I believe it depends on the child, homelife and his/her ability to relate and choose the right choices in life. I believe that if you do not want to play sports there are other clubs/activities to be involved in that will keep you focused. Academics is very important and should be top priority but you also need to be involved in other things to be well rounded so that you can function in the real world after school.

Posted February 19, 2005

The academic programs are exremely poor.When I attended EHS and transferred to another school I was so far behind. I had not a clue in how to write an essay in the MLA format (which you should know how to do your freshman year in high school). They focus too much on the sports and extracurricular activities when, in fact, they need to focus on learning skills because knowledge is power, and sports will not take you through life. If you are not involved in sports you are nothing to the school and you get involved in the wrong things. Most of the teachers really don't care what you do and if you learn or not so I would not suggest this school for anyone that wanted a good quality education.

Posted September 16, 2004

The academic programs at this school do not prepare your child for higher education. While the atmosphere is not bad and my son likes it there ok, his classes do not hold his attention and aren't challenging for him. I am seriously worried that he will be very shocked when he graduates and starts college. The faculty are nice and my sons gets along well with the teachers but the quality of education is seriously in need of improvement.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

258 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

222 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

245 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

229 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

215 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

206 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

229 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 50%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

4180 Weaver Pk