Granbery Elementary School

Public | K-4

Posted January 6, 2008

Great principal & teachers! Lots of parental involvment.

Posted November 7, 2007

I agree with most of the comments. I have one 4th, one 1st grader in this school. It is a wonderful public school. Teachers are very qualified, principal, parent involvement all perfect. My only reservation is extracurricular activities. There is nothing to engage children other than the recycling program (which is great!). My experience with YMCA Fun Co. was terrible, immediately pulled them out of that disorganized circus.

Posted May 4, 2007

I have had two children attend Granbery since 1994. My second will leave as a fourth grader this month. I am very sad. Granbery is an excellent public school, and has a great deal of excellent parents and teachers. I have been very involved the past 4 years with the PTA. My son has enjoyed seeing mom at school helping to make it even greater! We all have to remember what makes a great school are great teachers, principals, and support staff. The other things that help to make all of this possible is PARENT INVOLVMENT! We will miss Granbery and everyone affiliated with the school.

Posted February 27, 2007

My child is in kindergarten at Granbery and I am very pleased with his teacher as well as the school overall. I feel he has learned much more than I ever imagined a kindergartner could. Although he has homework every night I feel it is a great time to use that time to spend with him and it also makes me feel involved with what he is learning. I also volunteer in his class as much as I can which helps me to see how things are done during the day. I like what I see!

Posted August 20, 2006

The Extra Curricular activities are not scheduled to meet the needs of working parents.

Posted June 8, 2006

My son transferred to this school this year from an excellent school. I was worried that they could not meet my standards. The school has went above and beyond what I expected them to. My son loves to go to school because the teacher has made learning fun for him, she is very caring, and always keeps the parents informed on what is going on at all times. As for the parents, his class had about 98% parent involvement. They were wonderful. I would highly recommend this school, it has been a wonderful experience for my family and we look forward to my youngest starting there next year as well.

Posted April 13, 2006

I currently have three children attending granberry. I am very dissatisfied with the school as a whole. I am doing everything i can so they will not have to return next year. We have moved three times in the past six years, and this is by far the worst school! my children all did very well at their previous, higher rated schools, and here they are all struggling. It is like pulling teeth to get any help, and usually you don't get it! the after care program is also the worst! i've also noticed that there is not much parent envolvement either. Children do not even have recess!

Posted December 20, 2004

I've had my son in this school for 2-1/2 years now; never have I seen the children in the lunchroom without assistance. I go to eat lunch with my son at least twice a week, and see the excellent discipline and supervision by the lunchroom supervisor. I also have been pleased with the teachers my son has had, and the safety concerns displayed by the teachers and staff at Granbery. Not being sure what I would think about a public school, I have to say that I have been totally pleased with Granbery and its staff.

Posted September 30, 2004

Granbery is an excellent school. The teachers are caring, wonderful people. Our experience has been nothing but positive.

Posted July 27, 2004

My son started school here about 4 years ago in kindergarten, not knowing how to go through a lunch line left him hungry for almost two weeks not reacieving any lunch, I did not believe it when he told me so I went and saw for myself, a small child sitting in a huge lunchroom, with no food while others surrounded him with their trays, a little boy next to him sharing a cracker with him, and my son with his lunchmoney still in his envelope in his hand, the teacher at the head of the room eating her lunch and as she told me 'there were way too many kids for her to watch all of them closley', the principle not at all helpful did not even want to talk to me and called me a lier after about 15 people witnessed my son without food.

Posted September 9, 2003

This is a great school, with wonderful parental involvment. I debated on sending my child to a private school, however, after touring and visiting Granberry, I decided to send my son there. Currently my son is learning in kindergarten what I know others are learing in 1st grade at a private school.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

All Students79%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 31%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

5501 Hill Rd