Granbery Elementary School

Public | K-4 | 715 students

Posted September 8, 2014

I graduated from this school 2 years ago and I can honestly say it is the best school. The teachers were really supportive and art class was always a blast. Gifted children were able to go to encore for harder studies but support was given I made a lot of life long friends and I always enjoyed going. Don't hesitate to enroll your child because I guarantee you and your child will not regret it!!!! :)

Posted June 8, 2013

My daughter joined Granbery almost in the last quarter of the academic year - we came from a different country and it was her first school in the US. She was welcomed, tutored and mentored for her TCAP assessments and she shone ! Her 4th Grade Teacher was the BEST ever teacher, dedicated and instilled a sense of discipline. Music teachers were very passionate to teach the recorder and my daughter loved it ! Field trips, After school activities, Concerts aplenty - I volunteered for almost every event that they needed help / chaperones. PTA had a very strong presence and so did the Principal. She is a very approachable and affable lady ! Wonderfully stocked library and beautiful play field - We miss Granbery !

Posted April 23, 2013

My child attended K and 1st here, love it.. Pros: seasoned seemingly well-liked administration, active PTA, lots of enrichment opportunities (some cost extra or are after school), numerous field trips, positive environment, well-behaved kids, nice parents, focus on performance, high test scores. Cons: technology (although PTA supplements Metro's budget allotment), infrequent computer classes, some teachers embrace the technology resources and some don't (it seems to be their choice), some ineffective teachers. Teaching seems to be normalized to the middle-ground although most teachers do attempt to provide additional challenges for advanced students and to boost lower performers. The PTA focuses on closing the technology gap (online study programs, funds for computers, technology upgrades). I looked at private schools, but felt that differences could be made up by providing home enrichment (and I still think this is true.). I also appreciate the diversity, which I assessed to be 1/2 caucasian and 1/2 a melting pot. Get involved, you'll love it. Previous reviewer's neg assessment of cleanliness, field trips, staying in homeroom for all classes, and principal don't fit my experience.

Posted April 12, 2013

Granbery is a great school my son attended kindergarten here and he was very found of school he always loved to go school. Principal and whole staff is very welcoming and helpful......so far the teacher (Miss Miller) my child has had in kindergarten was excellent. Miss miller gave him positive approach of life I will be always thankful to her.

Posted September 7, 2012

My boys have been attending Granbery for three years now, and we love this school! I love the parental involvement and the diversity of the students. This is one of Nashville's best elementary schools by far.

Posted February 29, 2012

My child is concluding there last of two years here; it has been the longest contraction. The school lacks: Technology, Foreign (2nd) language, Music, Faculty Passion and Arts. They charge ($$$) for everything, never experienced this method in private/charter or other schools (public). 99% of the staff is aged, thus lacking the desire for recess, passion, energy. All classes are in student s homeroom teacher. We have been a part of other curriculum with other schools where classes were assigned to separate teachers, computers, and music. Students are constantly being restricted privileges due to actions of other students. Classes are heavily mixed with academically, behavioral challenged students which slows the advancement of the majority. Parking/Driver lot is a train wreck, cleanliness is frightful. Though my child is exceeding in there academics, expressing dislike for the school has been a constant .Also, Field Trips rarely happens and if it does .Children pay to have a rep bring the Field Trip to the school. I really feel a new Principal & Asst. Principal would do the trick in resuscitating the school. Were quite active involved parents :-)

Posted September 29, 2011

I agree this is a great school and I have two children attending. However, if you are considering this school, I think there are some things you should know. Parental involvement is a major factor at this school. Our experiences so far (3 years in) are that homework is a BIG deal and rarely will you have nights off. So bear that in mind if you are Wed. night church attendees or have children involved in extracurriculars. This has been very challenging for us with 2 working parents as I'm not talking 15 minutes and you're done kind of homework. This school is big and crowded for an elementary school. They manage it well but you will feel the pain in the cafeteria that was not expanded when the rest of the school was. "Lunch" begins as early as 10:10! There is no meet and greet for kindergartners. They meet their teachers/see their classroom on the first day of school just like grades 1 thru 4. Makes for a real zoo on day #1. Their onsite daycare is full and on a waiting list so plan accordingly. They are big on field trips. My two have been on more trips so far than I went on in my whole Metro school career. Start saving your money for those now.

Posted April 20, 2011

This is best public school we have ever experienced for our daughter. She used to attend of the most prestigious private school in Nashville, but we decided to transfer her to Granbery and we are very happy for that decision. More specifically, Granbery enjoys an optimal level of diversity, with caring teachers and very active parents. Really EXCEPTIONAL!

Posted August 16, 2010

My son attended Granbery from K through 4th grade. My daughter started there also and is now in the 3rd grade. This school is excellent for public schools. I debated over whether to place my children in private school. I am glad to say that I am content with my choice. My son excelled there and my daughter is currently doing the same. The PTA there will keep you informed and involved. Teachers are provided with funds from the PTA to help enrich the classroom experience for the students.

Posted April 27, 2010

Granbery has been wonderful for our son. We've looked at private schools and discovered that Granbery offers as much and more than most private schools in the area. Wonderful principal and teachers and an excellent recycling program. Amazing parent involvement and a great group of students. Test scores are in the top percentiles. Couldn't ask for a better elementary school!

Posted February 23, 2010

This public school has been the greatest for my child. He is in the 3rd grade and has adored every teacher since kindergarten, has worked hard and enjoyed going to school every day! We dread deciding on what to do for middle school because we hve been spoiled being at this fabulous school. I wish it went to 6th grade. Or even 5th !!!

Posted August 26, 2009

As a former teacher and parent of two that attend this school, I can say without reservation that this is an EXCEPTIONAL school! The teachers are amazing and the administration truly cares about the students and parents. The one concern I have had in three years was addressed to my satisfaction by the principal and only required one phone call to make her aware of a situation that needed to be addressed. My children LOVE school and will be sad to leave it next year when my husband's job relocates our family. I truly feel that my youngest child will miss out by not being able to attend kindergarten here. Could not have asked more from a public school. Diversity, challenging expectations, parent involvement, and dedicated staff...Granbery has is ALL!

Posted March 23, 2009

My son is in Kindergarten this year at Granbery Elementary. He absolutely loves it. My husband and I are very grateful for this little gem of a school in Davidson County.:)

Posted March 22, 2009

Who says public school in Nashville is not good? Granberry changes all my thinking. Taste it , you will know

Posted January 15, 2009

My son goes to Granbery and I love everything about the school. I would recommend all the parents to send their kids to this Granberry.

Posted October 15, 2008

My son is kindergarten and we love everything about it Annie Kirchberg

Posted September 26, 2008

I am not sure how to rate this school. We got a special transfer here so we could send them out of our zone. I have a 2nd grader and 3rd grader. My 2nd grader is exceptionally smart and has done fantastic. My 3rd grader did well last year, but so far this year is failing every subject. On his progress report all the teacher said was he needs to be more focused during class time. We are having him evaluated for ADHD, but in the meantime the school is not offering any help/ideas on how to help him get his grades up. Both boys really like their teachers and enjoy school. They both wish there were some sports they could participate in. Overall, they school is very good, with an incredible PTA.

Posted August 25, 2008

Faculty members, students and especially parents are involved, and connected with one another. I could not say anything less than the teachers truly epitomizes the traditional diverse american educators. I am originally from California and I attended an all year round private school and Granbery is currently head to head with some of the best US Schools I have ever experienced. I am blessed to have my 2nd Grader under an educator who contributes by impacting my child in believing in great discipline, great family values starts at home. Remember this, it begins as a habit and later a lifestyle. Start good habits on an early age and it will be embedded and becmes easily for our children to apply on their daily lives, thus changing your lifestyle.

Posted July 21, 2008

Both of my children attended Granbery from K-4th grades and as a parent I would put it up against any private school, anywhere! Wonderful leadership, wonderful teachers. Overall it was a wonderfull experience for my family.

Posted May 29, 2008

My 3 granddaughters have attended Granbery since 2005. I have had very positive interaction with all the wonderful teachers and staff. They have the best interest of all the students and have given these girls the tools to go on to higher education.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

All Students79%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 31%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

5501 Hill Rd