Brentwood, TN
Before care: Yes

Posted September 26, 2014
I normally do not write these types of reviews, but given the negative comments, I feel compelled to do so. I have two children attending WMS and it is one of the reasons we live in the Brentwood area. WMS is focused on education and has several clubs and extracurricular activities, which my children enjoy. I cannot speak for the experiences that other families and children have had, but my children rave about many of their teachers. Some teachers take a few chances when presenting lessons to their class, but that is the mark of a good teacher. A teacher that simply reads a lesson plan and gives a "grey" lecture will not connect with pre-teens and teens. Those that are passionate about their material, those that try to grab the focus of their classes, and find creative ways to convey lessons are teachers that are remembered. I have seen both of my children be inspired by moments and teachers. For me, that is what makes this school great. Of course, WMS is not perfect and I am not always thrilled with the mandated curriculum (but that is a systemic issue, not WMS'). Overall, I am very happy with the level of education my children are receiving at WMS.

Posted May 06, 2014
It is great and the choir is the best in the world. If you ask anyone they would tell you it is better than the real thing no matter what we are doing. But no one records it so it will be a forgotten memory someday, and that makes me cry.

Posted April 03, 2014
My son has spent three years at Woodland Middle School and it has done absolutely nothing but make his life worse. As woodland middle school progressively got worse, my son found it difficult to maintain good grades due to the teachers using unorthodox and terrible methods of teaching which students absoulutely learn nothing from. On top of having grumpy, below average teachers, Woodland Middle School has maintained to have the worst staff I've ever seen in a public school. My son got in trouble for things he didn't do, and there was nothing we could do about it due to the staff being extremely lazy and stubborn when it comes to resolving problems. Wms is the laughing stock of Williamson County "award winning school", yeah right.

Posted April 02, 2014
The person below me does not know what they're talking about. Heck, a WMS staff member probably wrote that. I am a student at woodland middle school, and all of the problems I've seen reported in other reviews of this school are true. In fact, most of the eighth graders hate the school because of the extremely strict staff, teachers who pick favorites and make it hard to learn for many students, and the fact that they have threatened a certain group in our grade with serious punishments for simple things such as making noises during lunch. Every other student finds it funny, yet the staff enjoys making the school miserable for everyone. Woodland Middle School is mediocre, at best. It's a terrible school and schools like Brentwood Middle School, and Sunset middle school are accurate representations for what middle schools should be like.

Posted March 27, 2014
We are in our second year at Woodland, and so far it has been a great fit for my child. Her 6th grade team of teachers found a balance of challenging the students but still having fun, so that my child did not realize how hard she was working. I have noticed a few of her 7th grade teachers pick their favorites, as someone else here mentioned. However, they are still excellent and fair teachers. I have found the teachers/administration to be very accessible and open to communicate when I have questions or concerns. To give you an idea of just how bright the student base is, 52% of the current 7th grade class was selected for the Duke TIP program. I've been impressed with the wide variety of clubs and activities available. No matter what your kid is interested in, there should be activities to help them plug in to the community. Because it is a very competitive base of students, it can be difficult to make the team if it involves a tryout. That applies to sports teams or academic teams; it s just a very talented group of students. I have not heard ANY reports of bullying, but there are a few jerks here and there.

Posted March 13, 2014
This school is mediocre, it's extremely small, has bad teachers who don't care about the students, stubborn staff members who threaten students to file court orders against them for making noises, and discriminating certain groups of people. two teachers in the eighth grade are actually good, I'd suggest going to a private middle school, or brentwood middle school. Dont't enroll your kid in this school - a concerned parent

Posted March 07, 2014
If I could give this zero stars, I would. This review is actually coming from a student's perspective, not a parent's perspective. First of all, most of the teachers at this school are bad at teaching, have no respect for students, and usually choose favorites. I know this because many teachers I've had, and having right now have one of the above qualities. Second of all, the staff members are paranoid about getting students in trouble. Sometimes it seems as if the teacher strive to give students "demerits" rather than actually teach them. This can be for simple stuff such as sitting next to people who are talking in class. Also, physically, Woodland Middle school is the size of an elementary school. However they are currently building a new auditorium for the school. This school is mediocre, and I've heard that from people who came here from other middle schools. I would definately not reccomend enrolling your child here, despite what the other reviews say.

Posted October 24, 2012
We spent 3 years in TN and did not think that Woodland did its best to get our kids in the right classes or prepare them for high school. We experienced many difficulties getting one child in to the correct math class because the records did not transfer in time. I spent 1 month getting teacher recommendations from CA and no one at Woodland cared to help. My sons are now both in High School (9th & 10th) in MN and because of their 15 month age difference, are in the same Hon Algebra II class. Woodland basically robbed my older son of the chance to take ALL of the high level math classes in high school before going on to college. Furthermore, while in the advanced math class at Woodland, one of the teachers constantly humiliated students in front of the class when they didn't understand the concept. This has been going on for some time and nothing is ever done to stop it. Another instance of not supporting us was clear when the Counselor WOULD NOT allow my my older son to register for the DUKE TIP ACT test. His CA Standardized Test scores far exceeded the TN standardized test scores. He took the test as a 9th grader and scored higher than 90% of 11th graders. Woodland Failed!

Posted July 19, 2012
My bias is obvious, but my time as a teacher at Woodland were some of the best of my life. The principal, my colleagues, the parents, and most of all the kids were all fantastic to work with. I left with great reluctance in order to be with my wife, but many of the community are still in touch with me.

Posted May 14, 2012
WMS, I have to say, is such an amazing school. Two of our children attend the school now, and we are very pleased with what we hear about it. The teachers are wonderful, there are enough rules and safety issues that there is next to no amount of violence, drugs, swearing, etc. I'm not surprised that my two children are getting straight A's in this school; they get the considerable amount of help they need and get extra time to work on their assignments during their "focus" period, or even in class. WMS is a very safe environment for your children, and I have never been happier in a school.

Woodland Middle School
1500 Volunteer Parkway, Brentwood, TN  37027
Last modified Woodland Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Woodland Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top