Grassland Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted September 20, 2013

We love this school! It's a very friendly, sweet school with wonderful teachers who care.

Posted July 21, 2012

This is a wonderful, top-notch school. We have had nothing but great experiences with all the teachers and staff. We are going to miss everyone when we move up to the middle school. Everyone is very professional and the academics are outstanding.

Posted March 11, 2012

Caring teachers and parents can't offset an administration that tries to suppress the bad stuff. We found out months after it happened that a girl with a strong peanut allergy in kindergarten had peanut butter spread all over her lunch box in the cafeteria and later all over her cubbie. We didnt hear a word about it - nothing. We later heard she was almost hospitalized because of the second incident. My child knew the family and when we spoke to them, they said they felt guilty about their daughter's problem after speaking to the principal and assistant principal. Huh? Felt guilty?!! A school gets great ratings if everything is hushed up.

Posted July 17, 2011

The academics in this elementary school are so high that it ranks Grassland Elementary School as the 2nd BEST elementary school in the state of Tennessee. Outstanding Teachers, Awesome parent involvement, After School Clubs growing ever year, each classroom has the newest in technology, community support is incredible....this is what parents pay for in a private school education, BUT it is a public school and one of the best! I've been in private and other elementary schools in Tennessee, Texas, and Missouri....Grassland is hands down the best my children have experienced.

Posted July 17, 2011

Want the definition of a Great School? Grassland Elementary. This is a school where teachers truly care about each individual student. Grassland Elementary has a perfect partnership between students, teachers and the community. All work toward common goals of teaching children to become their very best and to become valuable, responsible citizens of their community. Grassland Is a Great School!

Posted March 25, 2010

Like the song...One Bad Apple society show always remember and understands when reading such reviews that 1 negative report has a louder voice than the positive remarks. Generally unhappy people make noise while the happy carry on. Most community members are please with Grassland Elementary. Top teacher qualified in their field and bring the best to the classroom. It is the teacher and the parent working together to bring the best for the child that is what make GES the best overall elementary on this side of Williamson County. I have always thought of GES as a private school setting, but public and not having to pay the tuition! I would not send my children any where else! Kudos to the teachers --you make this school outstanding and bring the best in all grade levels--especially 5th grade!

Posted March 25, 2010

We can't say enough good things about Grassland Elementary and our experience in 5th grade! Outstanding teachers! The 5th grade teachers my family experienced brought their educational strengths to our children. Our children were challenged academically and were very prepared to enter into middle school. Thank you GES fifth grade teachers! The choices for private and public schools in the area are great but we researched and chose to move to our current neighborhood because it is zoned for GES. Excellence is taught here! Parent involvement, dedicated teachers, high test scores, and supportive administration. The teachers are outstanding due to their administrative support. Dr. Gordon and Dr. Juarez bring leadership to the staff and work daily to build a strong learning environment.

Posted March 23, 2010

Not impressed at all. We moved to this area of town for the schools and we are going with private schools next year for all three of our children who are attending GES this year. Apparently this school has seen its better days.

Posted January 6, 2010

On the surface, this school looks all-right, but the more you become involved, it is evident that it is definitely not what it appears to be.

Posted October 27, 2009

I was surprised to know that my first grader (transfered from another state) was watching TV in the classroom while eating snack. I limit time in front of the TV at home and encouraging free play outside, while he is sitting there in the darkened room eating mindlessly while watching TV. Why not give them more recess? Why can't they have more free play time then? When somebody tells me they need more time at school to do better, I think they should use the time they are at school in a better way. The previous school he attended in another state could be seen as 'lower quality' because of its location, but I felt it was more wellrounded than this. We based our house hunting on the school reputation, and I am not as pleased as I hoped to be.

Posted October 20, 2009

Like many of the others who have posted, I am disappointed in GES. I know what it used to be and it was grand! Now, unfortunately that isn't the case. I have 2 children at GMS, 2 at GES, and one in preschool. I've made up my mind that we are going to do private school for the younger 3 next year. GES is definitely not what it used to be.

Posted August 26, 2009

This school is definitely not what it used to be. Five years ago, I would have given it a 5 stars. I am a long time parent of GES and have been involved in GSCA and the Grassland community. Not sure what's going on with administration and programs, but definitely not the same quality of education that was available from GES a few years ago. Parent Orientation nights have been this week and I've been very disappointed by the structure of the educational program. I miss the old GES! Where are the standards? This is Williamson County for Pete's sake, we;ve got some of the highest standards in the nation. Why doesn't GES reflect this?

Posted August 18, 2009

I have one child who just began 5th grade and one who just started Kindergarten at Grassland Elementary. I know it is early in the year, but I am not at all impressed with the kindergarten program at all. We are trying to give it a chance, but may have to end up switching to a private school. The overall program seems weak. When my oldest was in Kindergarten, we had a wonderful experience! We were hoping for the same teacher this time around, however, that particular teacher quit teaching 2 years ago to stay home with her new baby. The other teachers are nice, but don't seem to have the 'whole package' (professionalism, enthusiasm, love, etc.) So far, the fifth grade program seems OK. Only time will tell because I've heard from other parents that it is actually the weakest of all the grades at GES.

Posted August 14, 2009

Not as good as many other schools in the area. Great classroom teachers, extremely poor in the arts (physical education, music, art, and guidance are a joke). Principal is cordial, but cold. I'd like to see her a little more outgoing. Assistant principal is awesome! A lot of parent involvement!

Posted August 3, 2009

PART 1 I am a parent of 4 - all of which have gone through or are still going to Grassland Elementary. I am very involved in GSCA and many other school functions. The best asset that this school has is its teachers. That's why we have continued sending our children there. The teachers really love what they do and are among the best in their field of profession! Administration is OK -nice, but somewhat impersonal and distant. I'd like to see them be more out-going and affectionate, but can't really complain. I do however have 2 complaints about this school. First of all it is not very clean. The custodial staff is contracted by Williamson County Schools and comes in at night to clean. They do not do a good job at all. The teachers who have clean rooms only have them because they do it themselves!

Posted August 3, 2009

I am a parent of 4 children who have attended/ are still attending GES. I am very involved in GSCA and the Grassland community. The best asset to this school is most definitely it's teachers! They clearly love what they do and are some of the best in their profession. Administration is nice, but impersonal and quite distant. I wish there was more warmth there, but I can't complain. However, I do have 2 complaints! First, this school is very dirty! The custodial staff are contracted by the district and work at night. They do a horrible job! The teachers who have clean rooms only have them because they do it themselves. This is a shame! Secondly, the related arts program is very substandard. Art, music, and P.E. definitely need work - and I don't foresee any changes soon. At least nothing has changed in the 7 years we've been here.

Posted November 3, 2008

This school isn't really what it is made out to be. From all appearances it looks wonderful, but I have been a parent there for 8 years and have had 3 kids go through the school. I've been very involved there, and even served on GSCA board. I know what goes on behind the scenes. I know there are ALOT better schools in Williamson County. Don't get me wrong, there are some of the best teachers at GES, but overall, the structure is not up to par.

Posted September 19, 2008

We are so pleased with GES. We previously attended private schools and this is even better. The parent involvement is the best I've seen and parents always feel welcome and appreciated. Academics are great. Science club, DI, etc for extracurricular academics. The AR program has been helpful for us to know if we are providing our children with books at their appropraite reading level (and proving to them that it's time to bump it up a notch.) The facilities are the best we've seen. Wide, open hallways with pretty murals. Large, bright classrooms with their own restroom and exit door. Large, well-equipped computer lab. Faculty turnover is incredibly low. The only drawback, to me, would be no foreign language, but for the $11-12K/child we are now saving, we can hire a tutor. Take a tour and see for yourself.

Posted December 12, 2007

Excellence in academics; poor in arts; few extracurricular activities.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 4%N/A55%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

6803 Manley La