Brentwood, TN
Students enrolled: 1,151

Posted April 21, 2015
Brentwood Middle School has some good teachers. The academic record is good. But the school does not deserve all the credits. Many students at this school come from very supportive families. A lot of students are very self-driven and highly motivated. The principals need to improve their management and administration skills. They seem to emphasize more on punishment than positive encouragement. Some students are punished, not for major mistakes, but for repeating minor offenses - you'll this through after school detention and Saturday school. This may cause some students more harm than good in terms of self-esteem and self-confidence. The principals seem not to recognize and acknowledge students achievement outside school, if the achievement is not done through any clubs sponsored by the school. It has happened that e-mail messages to the principals to report such achievement would not get any responses. It's ironical that they are teaching their students manners and etiquette, but they as educators are lacking etiquette and professionalism.

Posted April 15, 2015
As a current student here, I believe that if your child is not ready for the workload and pace at this school you shouldn't enroll them here. If they can handle it and need a challenge, do it it's a great school! Also bully free with tons of helpful, friendly staff. The fact that people are saying that there is a drug problem here is insane.

Posted March 14, 2015
I completed all three years of middle school here and am now in 9th grade at the high school. Here is what I will tell you: Don't think that just because you are in a blue ribbon school that drugs are not accessible. I don't do drugs nor do I hang around the crowd that does, but I know places to get them if I wanted them. Every year there are at least two kids expelled for selling/buying drugs in the 8th grade boys bathroom. In 6th and 7th grade combined I only had one extremely stressful class. In 8th grade, every single class was extremely stressful. I had over three or four hours of homework a night and for the first time in my life, I did not make straight A's. I know 5 kids who developed anxiety and/or depression due to the pressure during 8th. Three of them attempted suicide and now go to private schools. I have ADHD and need extra time on writing and math tests, so I need extra time on writing and math tests, yet even with doctor and psychologist recommendations, I was refused a 504 plan. Because of that, I had to miss lunch at least twice a week to finish tests and quizzes. I have a lot more I could say, but these are the most important things.

Posted August 07, 2014
Best scores, best leadership, best school--we visited all Nashville area private schools and BMS was the best in every category. We are beginning our 2nd year this Fall and are extremely pleased with the faculty and students as well as the academic challenge and progress of our son.

Posted April 19, 2014
When I first entered BMS, I was excited for a great experience, and all I got was three years of quite possibly the worst school experience anyone could recieve. The teachers have no interest, the administration doesn't care about how you enjoy school, yet if your grades are high or not. I do not recommend this school to your child, and the fact it claims to be the best middle school in the country is absolute nonsense.

Posted August 11, 2009
I have to say that we have had a wonderful experience at BMS. Dr. Kendrick was amazing. She kept order in the school and held each child responsible for their behavior. This is something I have found lacking in many of the parents of the students who required her attention. I know that Mr. Harlin will continue to maintain the high standards we expect. My daughter is academically gifted and she is also comfortable in social settings. She had many opportunities to join a variety of clubs, groups, and sporting teams. I am so impressed with BMS and would highly recommend it to any family. If you want an environment where your child's independence will be encouraged, jump in!

Posted July 01, 2009
I am a seventh grader at BMS, and my experience is not as bad as these parents make it out to be. some say it is not exciting, well it is a school, you go to learn, not to go treasure hunting. If you want excitement, go to metro, where there are gangs and severely below average test scores, everyday will be and adventure! The teachers are really nice and the system is adapted to your pace of learning. There are many after school programs and no, sports is not the main focus, not even close. Some of the field trips are a tad boring, but your supposed to learn, not have and exorbitant amount of fun. No, the teachers are not mini hitlers and the rules ar not harsh. Those who say BMS is average have been spoiled by brentwood, go anywhere else and see how it's much above average.'also'the'test'scores'are'amazing'and'if''you'are'looking'for'agood'education'come'here'i'am'using'apostrophes'because'of'the'150'word'limit'

Posted June 30, 2008
Brentwood middle school is okay it has great acedemic opportunities but the school is kind of boring we do not have anything fun at the school. My son has attended this school for all three years and he has never really told me one fun thing he did. He also said that all the field trips were pretty bad he said the only on he really enjoyed was going to treemont in the sixth grade. If you want just a ordinary go to school go home, kind of middle school experience come to this school but if you want a middle school experience you will never forget do not come to the school.

Posted March 26, 2008
I agree with the parent who commented that the Principle of BMS is cold. I must also say that the female vice principle is not any better. I have witnessed disturbing & degrading comments from her to students. There is no reason for that! As for teachers, we've been pleased with all the teachers my child has had over the past two years at BMS. I'd give BMS 4 stars....because of administration I can't give 5.

Brentwood Middle School 1

Posted March 01, 2008
BMS pays too much attention to sports when compared to academics. The principal is cold and aloof. The disciplinary system is harsh and unfair.

5324 Murray Lane, Brentwood, TN  37027
Last modified Brentwood Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Brentwood Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top