School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I would like to reply to the post from April 19, 2011. I would very much like to meet with that parent to discuss their concerns and see how we can meet their expectations. Scales Elementary is definitely not over-crowded and we are nowhere near maximum class sizes in any grade level. We do rely heavily on parents to volunteer their time and talents throughout the school - we find that to be one of the assets that makes our school great! Any parent that wants to volunteer, we will find a place for them. But we also realize many families have two working parents and cannot volunteer during the day. We understand and appreciate that and hope that those parents can find other ways to help their children - especially by reading with them at home daily/nightly.
June 27, 2011

Bad
Good

My daughter goes here as I did over 30 years ago. It's an amazing school. The teachers, parents, location... fantastic. I went on to receive technical post-graduate degrees as did my sister, and many of my friends. That atmosphere of emphasized education continues to this day. Evidenced by the cost to get into the school district, it's a highly demanded school. A public school with private school feel to it. Can't say enough positive things about the school.

The classrooms are overcrowded especially in the lower grades. One teacher per 25-28 students is unacceptable. How are the children possibly getting the attention they need? There is an issue with bullying at the school. Although the issue has been brought to the attention of peers, not much has been done to address. It may be that they are more concerned with tarnishing their reputation than actually dealing with it.

I am not sure what the negative reviewer is talking about as we have had a great experience at Scales. We were new to the school last year and all of our children felt very welcomed. There are plenty of opportunities to volunteer but we never felt pressured to do so. Not sure what they mean by parents are expected to teach classes. Mr. West has been great to us and the school is hardly overcrowded since there is very little new construction in this area. We have had a great experience at this school.

Scales fosters an atmosphere of parental involvement and an excellent standard in arts and academics. I had two children attend 1-5 grades at Scales and could not be more pleased with the education they received.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted June 27, 2011

This is a truly horrible school. Everyone in Williamson County has rested on its laurels, because the school system USED to be good....25 years ago. Now it is well-known that overcrowding is a huge issue, especially at this particular school. Teachers have such huge classes that they cannot keep up with each individual child's progress or behavior. The school relies on parent involvement...what this basically means is that the PARENTS are expected to go into the classrooms each morning and essentially HELP THE TEACHER TEACH. Because with the overcrowding issue, they do need it. There is not much difference between homeschooling and sending your child to Scales, because they want the parents involved in the classroom so much that that is exactly what is is like. The school is too bureaucratic and I assure you that your child will be treated like a number here, instead of an individual. I'm wondering if Grassland is any better?

The teachers provide challenging environments they create to keep the children of all levels engaged. The PTO provides so many opportunities to volunteer. The PTO provides actual tangible benefits to the students including paying the Technology teacher's salary. The PTO does limited fund raising so you aren t always bombarded with various requess/ sales. At the beginning of the year each family is asked for an $85 donation (it is NOT REQUIRED, but if you look at the PTO budget you'll see it is well worth it). There's also a very fun school event that has a silent auction. I definitely came out ahead at the auction. I think this way of fund raising really eliminates putting families in an awkward position all the time. I couldn't rank how much money families have because we aren't asked to put it on display all the time. Yes I'm in the PTO. Every parent is a member of PTO. There are no dues. There is no joining. Everyone is included automatically. The affluence at Scales doesn't mean keeping up with the Joneses. It means more parents have the time and resources to be involved at the school and make it a great environment!

We have such a great school! Rick West is a very involved Principal and both of his daughters have attended Scales. He manages to know every child s name and is always positive and supportive of the students. The teachers and staff at Scales are exceptional. Our children are challenged academically and enjoy going to school.

Scales elementary is a very high acheiving school. The teachers are great and the parents are very involving. Everything was taken care of with great detail, plus made tons of fun. We were always safe there plus well watched. The teachers not only prepare you for the rest of your life academically, but also in with manners and respect, and just about anything you would want your child to know. The students are well behaved, and the cirriculum is wonderful. Scales Elementary is a great start for your son/daughters life.

Last modified Scales Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.