Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

Traditional gender roles are rigorously enforced at BHS in my experience. There is a good deal of anti-gay, anti-feminist, and racist chatter on a daily basis. I think this is possible because of the lack of diversity in our community, and for a tolerance for this sort of thing among many parents here. Our school board is dysfunctional and are not in a position to lead change. The emphasis on standardized testing is a problem. There are outstanding teachers here, but the school seems to be run by administrators with a political bent rather than educators devoted to the liberal arts. My advice is to insist your student be assigned to the better teachers, monitor his or her education closely using Skyward, and make yourself well known to everyone at school, including the badly overburdened guidance department.

Grateful to: Teacher

For all the teachers who have worked hard here for years, only to see your classrooms shrunken, your budgets cut, your salary stagnate, your students put in trailers, and your professionalism questioned at every turn, thank you for continuing to strive for excellence.

I attended this school and my kids have now. I have nothing nice to say, especially about the Faculty. My mother taught me if I don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Well that's the case here! Moving to Austin!

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

I attended this school and so have my kids now. I have nothing positive to say about this school and the Faculty. My mother taught me if I have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Well that's the case here. Moving to Austin!

Both of sons went to Brentwood High, excellent school - would not have changed to any private school even it was free tuition. Teachers are great, student mix is great - all around great experience. We were involved with things going on at school, made a big difference - parents that stay involved usually makes their children experiences better. A+!

Academically the school is incredible, very little students take standard classes. The average student takes primarily 2-4 AP classes throughout 9-12 grade, but numerous will take more. I have found that the math, and some of the science departments, struggle greatly. I have been very ill-equiped, therefore I am dual enrolling. Other than that there is very little bad teachers or outdated teachers. The kids on the other hand are extremely judgmental and there is absolutely no diversity. Most students dress, act, talk the same, which makes it even more competitive, giving it many pros and cons. There is generally no drugs/alcohol problems here, there is a yearly surprise drug test where they bring in dogs, and if anyone does or is using they usually get caught because the police is incredibly strict. Overall it is a great school with exceeding academics, athletics, clubs, etc., the only problem is with the arrogant students.

This is such an excellent school. If you are looking to be excepted by a high ranking college you need to go here. Although some teachers that have been at the school for more then 10 years need to be re-evaluated(or fired) most are very good and easy to learn from. This school does excel in almost every extra circular activity it takes place in.

I am currently a junior at BHS and I must say, Brentwood High gives its students a private school education for a public school price. I know a lot of other reviews say BHS is only athletically driven, but I am a student who's never played a sport and I find the classes I take (especially AP and Honors classes) to be very rigorous and extremely well taught. The AP and Honors teachers are amazing, but sometimes Standard classes can be brutal to be in (the less academically driven kids tend to be less polite and destroy the learning enviroment for everyone, students and teachers both). The way I see it, as long as students challenge themselves to take AP and Honors classes, the academics at BHS are superb. There are also a great deal of excellent clubs, with groups ranging from Forensics to Anime Club, and our band is excellent I hear. BHS is very safe; I don't see much drugs or drinking or bullying (though as with any school, there will always be rebellious kids). Definitely a great place to learn and get quality education.

The review from Dec. 29 has some incorrect information. The arts program in all county schools as a whole here are only fair. But the system and the school absolutely DO NOT "add on the extra to football." The departments are separate, and there is no "extra" in the county budget now anyway. Funding from football comes mostly from the county and from parent booster clubs to some extent. Also, the children are not the rudest in the state by any stretch. That comment is obviously hyperbole.

We have a student here and another who will attend in 2yrs. BHS is the best non magnet public high school in TN and one of the top 300 in the nation as ranked in Newsweek Mag. It is a public school with private school quality. The home values reflect that. Our student is enjoying and excelling here. We do wish there was a JROTC program.

Last modified Brentwood High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.