K-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

We are so thankful you are considering Currey Ingram Academy for your child. Please feel free to call our Admission Office any time for a no-pressure, private conversation about your child and his/her learning needs. Thank you. Currey Ingram Academy Admission Office (615) 507-3173
March 15, 2017

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted March 15, 2017

PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS. As a student from the school I want to give an honest review. That's why Currey gets three stars not five because I see what really happens but not one because it does help. I'll start with the good. I transferred in the middle of 8th grade. I was socially awkward and failing most of my classes. Only one of my teachers believed I was trying and simply having difficulty. She suggested currey. I reluctantly went saying I won't like it. After one day of shadowing I was in love. Many of the teachers are very nice and approachable. I felt at home and made friends quickly. But I had already fallen in a bad crowd so the school watched me like a hawk. I deserved that and when I messed up they acted fairly. However this started a sting of bad reactions the school gave. What I'm trying to point out is if you mess up even a little the school will target you. Not the students but the faculty and staff. Their last attack on me ended on us having to withdraw from the school. Also I know that people always argue about the money and where it goes so for your information the average tuition is around 40 thousand dollars the average teachers salley is around 37 thousand a year. While the head of each schools sallery is averaging at near 200 thousand a year and the head of the entire school makes 400 thousand a year that is near the same as the president makes. Almost all of the remaining money goes to the grounds and new buildings. Each year they receive millions in donations the lowest amount in reacent times being 4 million all used up in less then a month on the new building and even now before the old one is paid off they are looking at building dorms and a pool. I just want you to know the truth of this school.

Currey Ingram is a school that provides individualized education based on the current research. Class sizes are small, teachers are excellent, and students are grouped for academic subjects with students with similar needs and abilities in that subject. It's expensive, but it's been worth it for us. Kids of average or higher intelligence whose learning differences make a conventional school ineffective may find at Currey Ingram an opportunity to learn and develop to their full potential in each area and subject. I see another parent posted that the high tuition is spent on the campus buildings and grounds. This is not true - the development of the campus is funded by gifts from donors (which is why every building is named for some kind donor!)

Currey Ingram has been truly transformative for our son (and, by extension, our entire family). Words cannot begin to express the outstanding results (academically, emotionally and socially). The entire faculty continues to exceed our expectations and the care they consistently demonstrate is genuinely amazing. We wholeheartedly recommend Currey Ingram Academy without any reservation.

We are so fortunate to have this school in Nashville. Our daughter was hiding under the radar at her prior school and had become embarrassed that she couldn't read the same books as her peers. Her self-esteem was faltering. Within her first few months at Currey Ingram she went from reading picture books with three sentences out loud to reading chapter books for sheer pleasure. I never realized how much of a science learning is, and how differently each child processes information. Our daughter has since been diagnosed with dyslexia, yet academically she is making great strides. Most importantly, she is learning how she learns - and how to advocate for herself. Their skill at customizing a curriculum just for my child is frankly a gift that I wish every child could have. Yet the biggest difference in our daughter was in her confidence. At Currey Ingram they focus on your child's strengths and as a result, our girl just blossomed right before our eyes. She feels accepted. She is among peers who share some of her same learning differences. And she loves school. So many of her peers have moved from out of state just to attend this special school and we have it right in our backyard. As I said, we are most fortunate indeed.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

There is a level of expertise at Currey Ingram that is unprecedented. The types of learning differences these children have requires very specific skill sets. Many of the teachers have advanced degrees. They are very passionate about their work and it shows.

The staff at Currey Ingram is professional, creative and smart. They are nurturing and create an atmosphere where children can succeed. Their ability to create an individualized learning plan tailored to my son's specific needs has given him a great education and fostered high self esteem. It is an amazing school and I am so thankful we have it in Nashville.

Although Currey-Ingram is promoted as the best all around school for students with learning challenges, we found this wasn't the case. After 3 years and $90,000, we discovered through a 3rd party assessment that our son--who we were told throughout the 3 years was just one grade level behind in reading (6th grade level); was actually reading at 2nd grade level! The teachers at Currey-Ingram are under-paid and not qualified. Even after talking to the headmaster regarding this travesty there was no accountability. The high priced tuition goes to the buildings/grounds -- but there is little intervention to help struggling students. Save your money and find a better institution—one that cares more about the students then the buildings their classes are held in.

We will soon begin our sixth year at this school, and my children continue to be motivated, engaged and instructed by professional and caring faculty that use strategies that are specific to each their needs and interests. Additionally, my children don't need hours of tutoring each week like many students at other private schools in the area because my children are actually learning in the classroom. The smaller class size makes a huge difference in how much "instruction and learning time" each child receives.

My daughter attends CIA and loves the school. She has made many new friends. The classes are small and she gets all the attention she needs to assist her with her social challenges. Academically, a public school could not compare to the depth of testing and intervention a child gets if they need it. My daughter's teachers are fabulous. The speech therapists are amazing. Everything is like a dream for the parent of any child, whether a child with autism, like mine, or whether a child has no academic challenges!

Last modified Currey Ingram Academy is a Private school that serves grades K-12