Brighton, TN
Students enrolled: 1,063

Brighton Middle School 2

Posted May 22, 2014
BMS likes to brag that they are the tops academically, but I'm not impressed. We came from a top-notch school system in another State. Tipton County isn't even close. My first clue came when I called to inquire about registering my straight-A student in the gifted program. I was told that BMS did not offer a gifted program, only advanced classes, and that my child would not be "eligible" based on her academic record. (Say what?!) BMS required State standardized test scores (which they lazily failed to get), so I finally tracked them down myself. I brought the scores to registration, but the incompetent guidance counselor still enrolled my child in standard classes. I got two impressions of Brighton right off, which proved to be true: 1) the school was not going to be on par academically; and 2) they will do their best to ignore you if you aren't "homegrown folk". (I suspect this is because you are probably smarter than they are.) I finally got my daughter moved to advanced classes, and she had a few pretty good teachers. But she made all A's doing minimal studying or homework all year. We are considering alternatives for next year.

Posted August 30, 2013
I was very impressed when I first visited Brighton Middle School. The school is as clean and polished as any hospital I have ever been in. I have been to the school several times since my daughter started 6th grade and have always been greeted upon walking in the door, I like this for security reasons. When attending the open house parents were told about dress code as well as discipline procedures, I was given the impression that anything that interferes in the educational process would not be tolerated. I was also impressed with the humor that was used to indicate that they are aware of the fact that 6th to 8th graders have raging hormones. My daughter has also given the school 2 thumbs up, she has stated ALL of her teachers are so nice.

Posted June 05, 2012
Brighton Middle School is a wonderful school. My child just finished the sixth grade here. He has absolutely flourished. You couldn't ask for a better faculty and environment for your child to learn in. My child loves school and finds it to be challenging and engaging.

Posted January 19, 2012
I have to say, it's a nightmare! They have a teacher there that can't teach and they won't let her go. She has received a ton of complaints in the past and they won't get rid of her!! I can't wait to be done with this school!!!

Posted August 13, 2011
I agree with that parent. One of the asst. principals in the last month of the last school year called me AT WORK to tell me my son's hair was too long and that he was putting him in ISP until it was cut. Are you kidding me? It wasn't his fault it was long, it was mine and to put him in ISP for something he had no control over! I figured if he's making good grades, doesn't cause distraction in class and does his homework he should keep his hair as long as he wants. In ISP they do NOTHING. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of learning?

Posted August 07, 2010
This school and the high school are terrible about communication in general, especially to the parents. Children are allowed to swear at teachers, all day, with no consequence. The teachers scream at the kids and bullying is well known. The academics at both schools are WELL below average. The kids only have to live up to moderate to low standards whereas in other parts of the country the standards are high. At the high school there is a boy fighting club. None of this is acceptable. To the new people moving here, please beware and don't just accept the positive stuff on the Internet, about both of these schools, and please see beyond the sweet smiles of the staff. There is more to this than you may think. I am un enrolling my children and leaving. Is that enough detail for those of you that need specifics??

Posted August 06, 2010
As a recent graduate of BMS, I can say that BMS is the place to be. The teachers are helpful in every way and really care about their students. Administration doesn't put up with any nonsense either. GO CARDINALS!!!!

Posted February 20, 2010
Why is it people are very quick to make a negative comment and give no details to support their comment? In what way did someone's child get no help from the teachers? Did the parent attempt to speak with the teachers to get help for their child? As a parent of two children who have attended BMS or still attend BMS (and no, I am not a teacher), I see parents and students who expect a free handout without any work on their part getting upset. I also see where if the parents communicate with the teachers and staff and make an attempt to work as a team with them for the enrichment of their child's education get great results. I apologize on being lengthy here but I find it annoying for someone to make a blanket negative statement with no examples or facts to support it.

Brighton Middle School 0

Posted August 03, 2009
Brighton Middle has the K12 planet where parents can see their child's progress throughout the year. They even put their lesson plans on line for me to view. The online books were great.Brighton Middle is the school for my children.

Posted July 28, 2009

Brighton Middle School
7785 Hwy 51 South, Brighton, TN  38011
Last modified Brighton Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Brighton Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top