Holston View Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 403 students

Posted February 1, 2014

My daughter has been in special needs classes at Holston View for four years now, with additional special needs classes at Anderson School (and Holston View) for another 2-3 years prior to that. My wife and I cannot be more grateful for all the help and understanding she has received from all her teachers, principals and support staff. We have watched her steadily progress throughout the years. Our daughter has a very rare chromosome disorder which causes, among other things, development delays and severe mood swings, which can cause her to be disruptive, combative, and inattentive at times. Her teacher, Mrs. DeVault, and her staff have worked hard to keep her on track. She loves school, always does her assignments, and helps in class a lot. We will always be grateful to the HV faculty for helping our daughter to succeed. Five Stars for Holston View's Special Needs Program!

Posted February 1, 2014

Please see my review of their Special Needs classes. They are the best of the best!

Posted October 29, 2013

I Love My School. It Is Great. I am In 6th grade and Mrs. Ensor is Very Good and so is Ms.Cline. I am sad that i have to leave such a wonderful school next year, but parents it is an EXCELLENT school for all ages and grades Prek-6th. -Thanks Hannah Askea

Posted September 19, 2012

the best school in sullivan county could not be more pleased with all of the schools staff and curiculum

Posted July 6, 2012

I have to children that goes to Holston View. I was very happy with the school until the new principle came along. Yes the security is alot better but the teaching has gone down hill. When you are 5yr old and do not finish your morning work the kindergarten teacher would take their snack away. That is so wrong. And the teachers in other grades just wants the kids to teach theirselves because they have no intentions on helping the kids if needed.i will be so glad when we move out if the school district so i can place my children in a better school. There is a lack of teacher and parent communications. The teachers dont want to take the time to make sure the kids have their homework or to let the parents know they have homework.

Posted August 27, 2011

I have two children at Holston View and have had great experiences with both. The teachers have been very good and have not only taught my children well, but have also formed strong bonds with them. I have had the pleasure of interacting with the principal on several occasions and find him to be courteous, professional, and a tremendous asset to the school.

Posted August 25, 2011

When a child is in first grade, gets bullied on the bus by a sixth grader both to school and back from school and the bus driver or principle does nothing to stop the situation, I think the bus driver should be fired, the principle admonished by the school board or fired. Whena teacher takes the same child and after 2 weeks of school does not work with the child if a writing mistake is being made but punishes the child, then does not let that child use the restroom when they REALLY NEED to but says they all need to go together so they should hold it, the teacher is incompetent. At this point I have NO respect for this school. To me teaching is showing the right way and having the parent work with the child. Not punishing a child by keeping them in a recess and not letting them have their snack. I personally think the parents have a legal case and I hope it is persued.

Posted August 22, 2011

This is my second review. I posted the first when we moved into the Bristol area almost five years ago and feel that an update is necessary. Holston View has changed principals since the much-beloved one retired. The new principal is completely different in his philosophy and actions.The principal's attitude seems to be based on treating children like small adults. The children are not given appropriate credit for being fun-loving children and the atmosphere of the school has changed drastically to one that reflects a prison. I know that sounds harsh but many parents will agree. The attrition rate for HVE students to transfer to another school has been much higher than normal since the new principal arrived . I am considering transferring my three children as I am very disappointed in the changes made at Holston View. Complaints have been lodged with the schoool board but seem to be ignored. The teachers in prek - 2 are very good but the quality of teaching diminishes after grade 3 due to a few bad teachers that seem to affect the entire attitude. Elem. school should be full of fun and learning and Holston View has lost that somewhere along the way...very sad...

Posted April 20, 2011

I have two children in this school, and they love it. All of their teachers have been wonderful, caring, dedicated people. They provide a great environment for the struggling student as well as the gifted. The special area teachers and guidance counselor are all so very talented. I'm so pleased that my children's younger years will be spent in such a caring community school.

Posted October 12, 2010

The majority of the teachers are great. They spend their "after school" time tutoring students who may need extra help. They always go above and beyond their call of duty. Making school the funniest place of learning ever. Thank you too all of them!! It's people like this that has "never left a child behind". You're great in all you do.

Posted July 27, 2010

I do not feel that the teachers in this school give the students the time and attention they deserve. My child had a hard time keeping up and even told me that his teacher yelled at him a few times when he needed her help (Mrs. Boggs) acted unprofessional in my opinion and should have never yelled at my child just because he needed help with schoolwork. Is that not what she is there for?? I dont like the way I have been treated by staff either.

Posted June 11, 2010

Holston View is a top notch school! I have gone to schools all across the country. My daughter has the opportunity to go to any school in our area and we chose Holston View! My husband and I are very pleased that our daughter is getting such an awesome education. We feel blessed to have found a school with a loving principal and loving teachers. The PTA is also so supportive of the students as well as the staff.

Posted September 9, 2009

I love this school.. I am a substitute for the school system and have been in each school .. And although i find all the teachers in our system wonderful. This school is my favorite.. The teachers here are all wonderful.. My daugher has been at this school since prek- and its out of district for us- i will keep her here as long as i can.. She has excelled in every grade and i have not had a single problem.

Posted September 9, 2009

Love this school.. My child has had wonderful experiencs here.. The principle is fair and a caring man, and the teachers we have had always seemed interesting in their students..

Posted August 2, 2009

We moved to the area about 6 months ago and have had nothing but problems and run around from this school. We came from an intercity school up north and got better communication and attention there with a far larger teacher to student ratio.

Posted July 16, 2009

I have had three kids in this school for the past three years. We are transferring schools because I'm not happy with the teachers. They do not take their time with the students. It is a shame.

Posted May 20, 2009

I have a special needs child at this school. While the teachers are alright- they don't have the time or the patience to work one on one with him like he needs. There is only so much I can do to help him 'get it' on my own.

Posted April 20, 2008

I have two children in Holstonview school. A 2nd and 6th grader and I have not been more happier with a school as I am with this one. They have the best Teachers. The whole school is the best.I rate you a #10.

Posted February 24, 2008

My son is in 1st grade and attended k-garten elsewhere. I have been impressed with the teaching staff and the over-the-top effort they give each day. Holston View is a great school with great, involved staff and parents. My son has progressed quickly since he had to 'catch up' after his k-garten year...they really teach the children and expect alot from them but also help them get there by extra tutoring and assistance. My son has rec'd an excellent education and, from speaking with other parents, I can expect this every year at Holston View. As a parent, you do have to be very involved and interactive and with homework and projects to complete it IS NOT a hands-off school for parents...you must dedicate yourself to helping your child, not just expect them to 'get it in the classroom'!

Posted January 17, 2008

I find this school is a very poor school. I had my child here for two years and watched them decline in their work because of the teachers neglect to give them the attention that they provided to the less educated students

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

All Students59%

White62%

All Students77%
White76%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

Algebra I

English I

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 39%N/A55%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields

School culture

• Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1840 King College Rd